Re: [tracker2] Re: Anyone know when Scott will be back?

  • qrv@kd4e.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3 11:17 AM
      Jordan,

      That sounds like a fun challenge from a Ham perspective!

      Have you considered HSMM-Mesh as well?

      It might be interesting to try to capture text and handle
      it both ways via APRS VHF/UHF and HF.

      That could be the best of both worlds, high-speed high-
      bandwidth local wireless "internet", and essential text communication
      regional, national, and international.

      Certainly in Emcomm, including DMAT's (Disaster Medical
      Assistance Teams)) there is a need for intense local data sharing
      among teams that may be 100 yards or several miles apart - while
      text, voice, and perhaps compressed images (DSSTV?) may be adequate
      for external comms.

      I have just been informed that Winlink has finally allowed
      an open-source Linux version so perhaps that could be part of the
      mix as well?

      David

      --

      Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
      David Colburn nevils-station.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 3 11:33 AM
        > Have you considered HSMM-Mesh as well?

        The issue is that during most of the year, there's very few people out
        there. The town of Gerlach is already bathed in free Wifi courtesy of
        the Burningman Organization, so basically there's no established need
        for something like a mesh network. Of course during the event each
        year, Black Rock City becomes one of the most densly populated cities in
        Nevada, and everyone has their gadgets and there's tons networking
        provided by the Burningman Organization all over the city. So again,
        not much need -- and it might even interfere with what they are up to.

        We have done some testing of playa-wide wifi availability when there are
        far fewer than the 60,000 people thre today, but I fear that's drifting
        away from this group charter :-)

        > Certainly in Emcomm, including DMAT's (Disaster Medical
        > Assistance Teams)) there is a need for intense local data sharing
        > among teams that may be 100 yards or several miles apart - while
        > text, voice, and perhaps compressed images (DSSTV?) may be adequate
        > for external comms.

        There's a good local community out there that has really taken to the
        amateur resources we've provided, especially for watching out for folks
        who get themselves stuck on the playa or have other kinds of SAR needs;
        Gerlach might be on its way to becoming one of the most densely
        populated ham cities in the world :-)

        > I have just been informed that Winlink has finally allowed
        > an open-source Linux version so perhaps that could be part of the
        > mix as well?

        We've certainly talked about adding a WL2K node, although we haven't
        seen much of a call for it ... yet? I run a node at home, and it gets
        good use in the SF Bay Area. We're tracking this (among other) emerging
        trends.

        To bring it back on topic, and I guess close it, or friend Scott N1VG is
        one of the founding members of BRARA and his help and support has been
        invaluable.

        /jordan
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5 10:02 AM
          Back now. Over 600 messages in my inbox, will be answering as I'm able.

          Scott

        • qrv@kd4e.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 5 10:08 AM
            Scott,

            Welcome back - trust that your BurningMan adventure was
            positive.

            Here's Message 601:

            I have a Davis Vantage Vue with a secondary market data
            adapter, the DSI-01 serial adapter.

            I need to know if the OT3m can handle the input directly
            or if it has to be processed via Xastir or some other app?

            Someone posted this pinout info:

            2 TX
            3 RX
            5 GND
            7-8 jumpered
            (Or 2 is RX, 3 is TX, I always have trouble with that. Try it each way.)

            ... and the adapter info sheet contained this settings info:

            Com Settings: 19,200, 8-N-1, no flow
            Says "TEST" should echo.
            Says "VER" should respond firmware version and date.
            Says "LOOP" should generate gibberish and be stopped by Enter.

            Thanks!

            David

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 5 3:32 PM
              > Just what the heck is that out in the middle of a sandy valley?

              Not sandy, dusty. So, so dusty. That's last year's iteration of Black
              Rock City that you see. My trailer is visible just east of 4:00 between
              Esplanade and A, to the right of the yellow shade structure at the end
              of the mid-block access road.

              > And just what the heck does one do there?

              Depends. What do you WANT to do there?

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5 3:41 PM
                On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
                > I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
                > to the philosophy in back of this event.

                The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
                you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
                of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
                technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
                out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
                later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
                the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
                cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.

                > It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
                > gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.

                Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
                cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
                specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
                usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
                time with that year's map.

                But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5 3:42 PM
                  > I need to know if the OT3m can handle the input directly
                  > or if it has to be processed via Xastir or some other app?

                  Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
                  Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

                  Scott
                • qrv@kd4e.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5 4:01 PM
                    Scott,

                    The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
                    connect to your Serial port.

                    Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
                    connection that does work with an OT3m?

                    2 TX
                    3 RX
                    5 GND
                    7-8 jumpered

                    Com Settings: 19,200, 8-N-1, no flow
                    Says "TEST" should echo.
                    Says "VER" should respond firmware version and date.
                    Says "LOOP" should generate gibberish and be stopped by Enter.

                    > Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
                    > Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

                    Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                    David Colburn nevils-station.com
                    I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
                  • Teddy Banks
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 5 4:33 PM
                      It's like my Dear Departed Grandma used to say, it takes all kinds of
                      people to make a world and we have them. :-)
                      On 9/5/2012 5:41 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                      > On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
                      >> I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
                      >> to the philosophy in back of this event.
                      > The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
                      > you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
                      > of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
                      > technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
                      > out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
                      > later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
                      > the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
                      > cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.
                      >
                      >> It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
                      >> gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.
                      > Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
                      > cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
                      > specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
                      > usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
                      > time with that year's map.
                      >
                      > But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

                      Ham Radio Operators KCØWNY-KDØACN Ted & Kay
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 5 6:43 PM
                        If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
                        USB host.

                        Scott

                      • qrv@kd4e.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 5 7:09 PM
                          Scott,

                          The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                          - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                          you the wrong model at some point?

                          The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.

                          David

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 5 8:49 PM
                            The Vantage Pro II, can be a Serial or a USB, I have the Serial Version.
                            On 9/5/2012 9:09 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                            > Scott,
                            >
                            > The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                            > - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                            > you the wrong model at some point?
                            >
                            > The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.
                            >
                            > David
                            >
                            >> If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
                            >> USB host.
                            >>
                            >> Scott
                            >>
                            >> On 9/5/2012 4:01 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                            >>> Scott,
                            >>>
                            >>> The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
                            >>> connect to your Serial port.
                            >>>
                            >>> Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
                            >>> connection that does work with an OT3m?
                            >>>
                            >>> 2 TX
                            >>> 3 RX
                            >>> 5 GND