Re: Anyone know when Scott will be back?

  • captnkliegle
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3 6:53 AM
      Interesting... zoom in and go to satellite view.

      Just what the heck is that out in the middle of a sandy valley?

      And just what the heck does one do there?

      Curious....

      Kriss KA1GJU

    • qrv@kd4e.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 3 7:15 AM
        I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
        to the philosophy in back of this event.

        It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
        gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.

        I hope it went well for all.

        --

        Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
        David Colburn nevils-station.com
        I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 3 7:50 AM
          See: http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/

          Trying to explain what Burning Man is to someone who has never been to the event is a bit like trying to explain what a particular color looks like to someone who is blind. In this section you will find the peripheral definitions of what the event is as a whole, but to truly understand this event, one must participate.

          From http://www.burningman.com/

          The Man 2012  pink_postcard_front

          http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/about_burningman/experience.html

          Hurtling down the road to the Black Rock Desert, the colors paint themselves like a spice cabinet — sage, dust, slate gray. Maybe you're in your trusty car, the one that takes you to and from work every day. Perhaps you've got a spacious RV, your Motel 6 on wheels for the next days in the desert. Or you're driving your glittering art car, complete with poker chips and mirroring to do a disco ball proud.

          The better question is probably what DON'T they do out there in the desert?

          <qrv@... <mailto:qrv@...>> wrote:

              Anyone know when Scott will be back?

              I have an OT3m question that only he can answer.

              --

              Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
              David Colburn nevils-station.com <http://nevils-station.com>
              I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com <http://duckduckgo.com>

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
              tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Jordan Hayes KG6UAE
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 3 9:26 AM
            > And just what the heck does one do there?

            Lots of APRS activity :-)

            http://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a%2FRAZOR&others=1&timerange=604800

            We at the Black Rock Amateur Radio Association have put a bunch of work
            into providing amateur infrastructure out there year-round: APRS
            digipeaters (GERLCH and RAZOR), a UHF repeater, IRLP and Echolink
            connections, and even a VoIP-based phone patch where there's no cellular
            telephone service.

            http://cq-blackrock.org/

            /jordan
          • qrv@kd4e.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 3 11:17 AM
              Jordan,

              That sounds like a fun challenge from a Ham perspective!

              Have you considered HSMM-Mesh as well?

              It might be interesting to try to capture text and handle
              it both ways via APRS VHF/UHF and HF.

              That could be the best of both worlds, high-speed high-
              bandwidth local wireless "internet", and essential text communication
              regional, national, and international.

              Certainly in Emcomm, including DMAT's (Disaster Medical
              Assistance Teams)) there is a need for intense local data sharing
              among teams that may be 100 yards or several miles apart - while
              text, voice, and perhaps compressed images (DSSTV?) may be adequate
              for external comms.

              I have just been informed that Winlink has finally allowed
              an open-source Linux version so perhaps that could be part of the
              mix as well?

              David

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 3 11:33 AM
                > Have you considered HSMM-Mesh as well?

                The issue is that during most of the year, there's very few people out
                there. The town of Gerlach is already bathed in free Wifi courtesy of
                the Burningman Organization, so basically there's no established need
                for something like a mesh network. Of course during the event each
                year, Black Rock City becomes one of the most densly populated cities in
                Nevada, and everyone has their gadgets and there's tons networking
                provided by the Burningman Organization all over the city. So again,
                not much need -- and it might even interfere with what they are up to.

                We have done some testing of playa-wide wifi availability when there are
                far fewer than the 60,000 people thre today, but I fear that's drifting
                away from this group charter :-)

                > Certainly in Emcomm, including DMAT's (Disaster Medical
                > Assistance Teams)) there is a need for intense local data sharing
                > among teams that may be 100 yards or several miles apart - while
                > text, voice, and perhaps compressed images (DSSTV?) may be adequate
                > for external comms.

                There's a good local community out there that has really taken to the
                amateur resources we've provided, especially for watching out for folks
                who get themselves stuck on the playa or have other kinds of SAR needs;
                Gerlach might be on its way to becoming one of the most densely
                populated ham cities in the world :-)

                > I have just been informed that Winlink has finally allowed
                > an open-source Linux version so perhaps that could be part of the
                > mix as well?

                We've certainly talked about adding a WL2K node, although we haven't
                seen much of a call for it ... yet? I run a node at home, and it gets
                good use in the SF Bay Area. We're tracking this (among other) emerging
                trends.

                To bring it back on topic, and I guess close it, or friend Scott N1VG is
                one of the founding members of BRARA and his help and support has been
                invaluable.

                /jordan
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5 10:02 AM
                  Back now. Over 600 messages in my inbox, will be answering as I'm able.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5 10:08 AM
                    Scott,

                    Welcome back - trust that your BurningMan adventure was
                    positive.

                    Here's Message 601:

                    I have a Davis Vantage Vue with a secondary market data
                    adapter, the DSI-01 serial adapter.

                    I need to know if the OT3m can handle the input directly
                    or if it has to be processed via Xastir or some other app?

                    Someone posted this pinout info:

                    2 TX
                    3 RX
                    5 GND
                    7-8 jumpered
                    (Or 2 is RX, 3 is TX, I always have trouble with that. Try it each way.)

                    ... and the adapter info sheet contained this settings info:

                    Com Settings: 19,200, 8-N-1, no flow
                    Says "TEST" should echo.
                    Says "VER" should respond firmware version and date.
                    Says "LOOP" should generate gibberish and be stopped by Enter.

                    Thanks!

                    David

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 5 3:32 PM
                      > Just what the heck is that out in the middle of a sandy valley?

                      Not sandy, dusty. So, so dusty. That's last year's iteration of Black
                      Rock City that you see. My trailer is visible just east of 4:00 between
                      Esplanade and A, to the right of the yellow shade structure at the end
                      of the mid-block access road.

                      > And just what the heck does one do there?

                      Depends. What do you WANT to do there?

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 5 3:41 PM
                        On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
                        > I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
                        > to the philosophy in back of this event.

                        The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
                        you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
                        of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
                        technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
                        out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
                        later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
                        the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
                        cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.

                        > It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
                        > gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.

                        Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
                        cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
                        specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
                        usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
                        time with that year's map.

                        But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 5 3:42 PM
                          > I need to know if the OT3m can handle the input directly
                          > or if it has to be processed via Xastir or some other app?

                          Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
                          Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

                          Scott
                        • qrv@kd4e.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 5 4:01 PM
                            Scott,

                            The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
                            connect to your Serial port.

                            Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
                            connection that does work with an OT3m?

                            2 TX
                            3 RX
                            5 GND
                            7-8 jumpered

                            Com Settings: 19,200, 8-N-1, no flow
                            Says "TEST" should echo.
                            Says "VER" should respond firmware version and date.
                            Says "LOOP" should generate gibberish and be stopped by Enter.

                            > Possibly, I haven't tried that model myself. The T3 can talk to a
                            > Vantage Pro 2 directly, and if it's the same protocol it should work.

                            Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
                            David Colburn nevils-station.com
                            I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com
                          • Teddy Banks
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 5 4:33 PM
                              It's like my Dear Departed Grandma used to say, it takes all kinds of
                              people to make a world and we have them. :-)
                              On 9/5/2012 5:41 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
                              > On 9/3/2012 7:15 AM, qrv@... wrote:
                              >> I visited and read the BurningMan page and came away confused as
                              >> to the philosophy in back of this event.
                              > The 10 principles will tell you a little, but it's hard to explain if
                              > you haven't been there. Different people get very different things out
                              > of it. It's an excellent APRS and emcom testing ground, and I had some
                              > technical projects going out there, but mostly I spent a week hanging
                              > out with scientists, engineers, IT people, and artists, building and
                              > later burning a memorial for a lost friend, and serving free drinks at
                              > the grimiest dive bar on the planet. Also made a fair amount of ice
                              > cream, but ran out of vanilla before I used up all of my liquid nitrogen.
                              >
                              >> It seems an amusing hobby that, like others, may spawn some creative
                              >> gadgets or systems to enhance the experience.
                              > Absolutely. For relaxation purposes I like the fact that it's mostly
                              > cut off from the outside world, but it's fun to build gadgets
                              > specifically for the playa. I've got a GPS map on my bike that's only
                              > usable out there, and I have to engrave a new acrylic panel for it each
                              > time with that year's map.
                              >
                              > But now I have a 10-day backlog of email to answer...

                              Ham Radio Operators KCØWNY-KDØACN Ted & Kay
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 5 6:43 PM
                                If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
                                USB host.

                                Scott

                              • qrv@kd4e.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 5 7:09 PM
                                  Scott,

                                  The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                                  - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                                  you the wrong model at some point?

                                  The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.

                                  David

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 5 8:49 PM
                                    The Vantage Pro II, can be a Serial or a USB, I have the Serial Version.
                                    On 9/5/2012 9:09 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                                    > Scott,
                                    >
                                    > The Vantage Pro2, which you said worked, is listed as a USB-only device
                                    > - perhaps they have changed it - or someone told
                                    > you the wrong model at some point?
                                    >
                                    > The VantageVue, which I have, is Serial.
                                    >
                                    > David
                                    >
                                    >> If it's USB only, then no, it won't work. The tracker can't act as a
                                    >> USB host.
                                    >>
                                    >> Scott
                                    >>
                                    >> On 9/5/2012 4:01 PM, qrv@... wrote:
                                    >>> Scott,
                                    >>>
                                    >>> The VP2 uses a USB connection - I need to know how to
                                    >>> connect to your Serial port.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> Do the pins and settings look similar to a Serial Davis
                                    >>> connection that does work with an OT3m?
                                    >>>
                                    >>> 2 TX
                                    >>> 3 RX
                                    >>> 5 GND