Re: [tracker2] Re: Blocking incoming traffic

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 29 7:07 PM
      On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM, mooksmd2005 <mikesmi@...> wrote:

      > For the time being, I did indeed change the input frequency, which is fine for locals
      > who know ( VE7SML-1) but not so good for visiting hams, although the output
      > is on 144.39. However one would have to read the message, reprogram the radio
      > etc which is a bit of a hassle.

      And it still leaves you as an outbound digipeater only. You have
      effectively cut yourself off from ALL outside communications. Anyone
      outside of the local digipeater coverage area can NOT get packets back
      to you.

      You've got the digipeater input nice and quiet, but at what cost?

      > I will have to re-read everything and try and digest it a bit.

      There's a bit to digest and understand, for sure.

      > As an aside, is there an advantage to forcing the same path to the
      > igate with something like PATH wide1-1, Fishpot,Smokey,WilliamsLake
      > ( where the igate is) ?

      Well, if you're going to do that, why not use PUNTZI,FISHPT,SMOKEY?

      You're going t have to get into PUNTZI to get to FISHPT, right? You
      only have the one digipeater local to you. If you have a home station
      supporting WIDE1-1, can it be heard by FISHPT? If not, and you want to
      use the fill-in as a helper, then WIDE1-1,FISHPT won't work because
      PUNTZI is not in the list. When you specify digipeaters by name, each
      digipeater HAS to act upon the packet at the designated place in the
      line. Using generic paths allows ANY digipeater to act upon the hop
      request.

      When you specify an exact path, each digipeater has to be able to hear
      the previous one in the list. If there's a packet collision or such,
      the packet dies right there. If the path is generic, the packet has
      the option of being heard and handled by any digipeater in range.

      An exact path keeps the packet from spreading far and wide, and is
      frugal in network resource usage, but relies on everything working
      perfectly.

      You do not have to name the i-gate station. i-gates do not digipeat
      (unless it is a combined i-gate/digipeater). All you need to do is get
      your packet digipeated by a digipeater that can be heard by the
      i-gate.

      Again, remember that this concept that you have developed is good for
      getting a track showing up at aprs.fi, but it is useless for
      bi-directional communications.

      It's up to you what you build, as you are the ultimate user of the
      system... I'm just pointing out the limitations in case you haven't
      noticed them yet.