T2 ProtoB Not Decoding

  • Paulus Adisoemarta
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2007
      Seems like my T2 ProtoB is not decoding incoming traffic, even with
      LOOP jumper installed it can't see its own beacon (thru MONITOR ON
      command on the terminal).

      Any hints to debug this problem?

      I also found that under CALIBRATE, there is no tune option, as
      whenever I pressed t (for tune), I always got back to the cmd: prompt.
      Tried on 2 firmware version: 54075 and 54085.
      Is this function already removed?

      73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX
    • 'Scott Miller'
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 12, 2007
        The loopback has never really worked right due to the lack of low-pass filtering.  That's also why the calibrate option was removed.  Does the INFO command show any FCS errors?  Does the LED blink with incoming traffic?

        Scott

        Seems like my T2 ProtoB is not decoding incoming traffic, even with
        LOOP jumper installed it can't see its own beacon (thru MONITOR ON
        command on the terminal).

        Any hints to debug this problem?

        I also found that under CALIBRATE, there is no tune option, as
        whenever I pressed t (for tune), I always got back to the cmd: prompt.
        Tried on 2 firmware version: 54075 and 54085.
        Is this function already removed?

        73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

      • P. Suryono Adisoemarta
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 21, 2007
          'Scott Miller' wrote:
          > The loopback has never really worked right due to the lack of low-pass
          > filtering. That's also why the calibrate option was removed. Does
          > the INFO command show any FCS errors? Does the LED blink with
          > incoming traffic?

          Here is the info command:
          cmd:info
          OVF1:0 OVF2:0 PORT:0 EVQ:0000 BUF:00
          TEMP:31C VOLT:6 RX:0 FCS:0 DIGI:0 CFG1

          So no FCS error

          LED is NOT blinking whenever there is an incoming traffic. I know the
          radio wiring is correct as I picked up the audio signal at pin 2 of the
          XR2211 and feed to the soundcard input of my laptop, and the signal got
          decoded properly.

          Should there be a jumper on JP3?

          Seems like the 2211 is not working, but how to debug it ?

          Firmware Build 54085

          73 de Paulus N5SNN
        • 'Scott Miller'
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22, 2007
            Best way to check the 2211 is to watch for the data output on pin 7.  If you've got a scope or logic analyzer, you should see a digital signal there.  If you've got a calibration source (another TNC, the test CD, etc) you should get a 600 hz square wave out of it when it's fed alternating tones.  Double check the values on all of the parts around the 2211, and make sure you didn't install a part in the wrong orientation.  The holes form a 0.1" grid in places where it's easy to miss the proper position.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 17 8:36 AM
              Here is the end of my Non-decoding T2 Proto B saga.

              I used pin 7 to watch for transition but see nothing with TNC test CD,
              and also transmission from a D7A.
              Double (even triple) checked part placement to make sure there is no
              error, then reflow all solder around the 2211 to ensure there is no cold
              solder joint, but still no go.
              Then I did some resistance measurement with parts inplace, and found
              that pin 12 of the 2211 is showing very low resistance, like shorted to
              ground. Ground pin on the 2211 is pin 4.
              I removed the 2211, and found that pin 12 on the chip socket is still
              shorted to ground, now this is not right as looking on the schematic
              diagram I expect a resistance of around 20k to ground (R10 in series
              with R27).
              So I removed both R10 and R14, and found pin 12 on the socket is still
              shorted to ground! This is very interesting as it might be a solder
              bridge somewhere. I tried my best to look on the board to see any minute
              trace of solder bridge but could not find any. It might be under the
              socket itself.

              I put back the 2211, but with leg 12 lifted and direct solder R10 and
              R14 to that leg, and now my Proto B board is decoding and digi-ing
              perfectly.

              73 de Paulus N5SNN / YD0NXX

              'Scott Miller' wrote:
              > Best way to check the 2211 is to watch for the data output on pin 7.
              > If you've got a scope or logic analyzer, you should see a digital
              > signal there. If you've got a calibration source (another TNC, the
              > test CD, etc) you should get a 600 hz square wave out of it when it's
              > fed alternating tones. Double check the values on all of the parts
              > around the 2211, and make sure you didn't install a part in the wrong
              > orientation. The holes form a 0.1" grid in places where it's easy to
              > miss the proper position.

              > **

            • 'Scott Miller'
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 17 9:24 AM
                Interesting.  I've (very rarely) seen board defects that didn't show up until some solder got wicked into a gap and formed an almost invisible bridge.  I've fixed it with a 12 volt battery across the normally separate traces.  This might not be safe to do on a populated board (you definitely don't want any ICs installed) but it popped the bridge instantly.

                Of course, if it's not a tiny little bridge it'll cook the whole trace right off the board...

                Scott

                'Scott Miller' wrote:
                > Best way to check the 2211 is to watch for the data output on pin 7.
                > If you've got a scope or logic analyzer, you should see a digital
                > signal there. If you've got a calibration source (another TNC, the
                > test CD, etc) you should get a 600 hz square wave out of it when it's
                > fed alternating tones. Double check the values on all of the parts
                > around the 2211, and make sure you didn't install a part in the wrong
                > orientation. The holes form a 0.1" grid in places where it's easy to
                > miss the proper position.

                > **

              • Jason Winningham
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 17 10:32 AM
                  On Apr 17, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Scott Miller wrote:

                  > Of course, if it's not a tiny little bridge it'll cook the whole
                  > trace right off the board...

                  This reminds me of an "etch your own PCB" tutorial I saw on the web.
                  The author liked to use a car battery and headlight to detect
                  shorts. Small ones were usually burned away, and "if that headlight
                  lights up, boy you _do_ have a short!"

                  -Jason
                  kg4wsv