Re: [tracker2] Question

  • Jon
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 6, 2007
      --- James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

      > On 3/5/07, Jon <c0j_1999@...> wrote:
      > > Its a tracker2 and its coming out as
      > > DIGIA*, WIDE1* WIDE2-1
      >
      > What hardware/software are you using to view the
      > packets?
      >
      > The asterisk (*) is a visual representation of the
      > has-been-digipeated
      > bit. On the Kantronics equipment, only the last
      > has-been-digipeated
      > bit is shown. Xastir on the other hand shows all
      > has-been-digipeated
      > bits.
      >
      > The format of the packets you have copied to your
      > message is different
      > than any that I have seen previously. I know UI-View
      > likes to split
      > the packet into 2 lines. I'm just curious as to what
      > you are using to
      > view the packets, and possible parameters that make
      > them appear as
      > such.

      Oh ok,
      On Linux
      j0n@ei3rcw:~$ listen -t -a
      2m: fm EI8EPB to APRS via EI2WCD-2* WIDE2* ctl UI^
      pid=F0(Text) len 57 16:03:54
      0000 !5232.27NS00728.54W#PHG2140/W1,Mullinahone Co.
      Tipperary.
      2m: fm EI8EPB to APRS via EI2MLD-2* WIDE2 ctl UI^
      pid=F0(Text) len 57 16:03:55
      0000 !5232.27NS00728.54W#PHG2140/W1,Mullinahone Co.
      Tipperary.

      They appear to be wrapped by the yahoo email gui :(

      > James
      > VE6SRV

      > --------------------~-->
      > Great things are happening at Yahoo! Groups. See
      > the new email design.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

    • sdroe1956
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
        Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
        to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.

        Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

        Thanks
        Sam Roe
        KB7QQQ
      • Curt, WE7U
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
          On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, sdroe1956 wrote:

          > Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
          > to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.
          >
          > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

          *) Search and Rescue.

          *) Public Service Events (marathons, bike events, horse events,
          walk-a-thons, etc).

          *) Source of info while traveling.

          *) Two-way messaging to other hams.

          *) One-way e-mails to internet addresses.

          I've used it for all of the above and probably a few more I can't
          think of right now.

          --
          Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com
          http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
            On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, Curt, WE7U wrote:

            > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008, sdroe1956 wrote:
            >
            > > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

            FWIW: My last answer wasn't Tracker2-specific.

            For mapping you'll need a mapping GPS or a laptop/desktop/PDA.

            For messaging you'll need one of these:

            *) Garmin NUVI/Tracker2 combo
            *) Laptop/desktop plus TNC
            *) HamHUD plus TNC
            *) Kenwood APRS radio

            I'm using an OpenTracker in my Jeep but plan to switch to a Tracker2
            (I've been saying that for _way_ too long now, and even have a
            Tracker2 to put there!). This will give me one-way tracking
            normally, but if I hook it to a laptop or HamHUD I'll have messaging
            capability. Perhaps I'll get a Garmin NUVI later which will also
            give me messaging.

            Plug in a laptop or mapping GPS and I'll be able to see where
            everybody else is. It'll be a nice setup for a mobile 'cuz when I
            unplug the laptop I'll be back to the normal one-way tracking.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
              On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 1:08 PM, sdroe1956 <kb7qqq@...> wrote:

              > Was thinking about building a tracker but can't think of a good reason
              > to justify the expense except for the fun of tracking myself.
              >
              > Could some of you tell me what you use your trackers for???

              If you're just going to the expense just so you know where you are, I
              have a cheaper solution... buy a mirror. If you look into it, and
              you're not there, then you're in trouble!

              As Curt said, it's much more than just looking at a webpage to see
              where you've been. I can find my buddies driving around town, right
              there on the screen in front of me. When they pop up on my screen, I
              know they are out driving around, and can call them. Of course if your
              general conversations revolve around where are you, and what's the
              weather like, stay away from APRS. All of that is displayed in front
              of you.

              You can share frequency information with others, as well as find out
              the frequencies of local repeaters. You can find out about current
              activities in the area, and much more.

              One of the fun things I like to use APRS for, is tracking high
              altitude balloons, and getting telemetry information from them. When
              you send a couple hundred dollars worth of electronics up to >100,000
              feet, it's always nice to be able to get it back. It also helps with
              getting access to any still images, videos, or experiment payloads you
              may have carried to altitude.

              Sam, you obviously haven't sat in on a Bob Bruninga APRS sermon! 8)

              There's much more to APRS than just tracking your vehicle.

            • Richard Bauer
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 1, 2008
                we keep one in our camper so friends and family can see where we are.

                '73,
                rich, n9dko