Re: [tracker2] Re: t2-135 error

  • rondall swart
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2012
      if it doesn’t have the choice of picking “auto port” you don’t have the newest one.

      Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:26 PM
      Subject: [tracker2] Re: t2-135 error

      I got the version of otwincfg from
      http://www.argentdata.com/support/firmware/otwincfg.exe

      Is there a more recent version?

      Thanks,

      Ryan
      W9UEY

      -- In mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

      > Is this a current version
      of otwincfg? And have you tried checking
      > 'disable turbo'? Sometimes the
      wiring in the DR-135 is marginal for
      > high speed serial.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > On 8/2/2012 5:12 PM, rschultz82 wrote:
      > > I am using otwincfg to configure my t2-135. I select the port, it
      asks
      > > me to reset the tracker, which I do and a few seconds later,
      the config
      > > screen comes up. This is good, but it shows Firmware
      Build 0. When I try
      > > to load the firmware file that I downloaded, it
      give me an error. The
      > > error says "Invalid address: 0880 (valid
      range 801e to 0066). Am I
      > > missing something here?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Ryan

      W9UEY

    • rschultz82
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 2012
        It does have a choice for auto ports. Some other info that might help is that last time I used this tracker, I had it hooked up to a Garmin 350 and it was working. I no longer have that GPS. I also cannot for the life of me figure out what speed it is using. I tried a terminal program in all speeds from 1200 baud to 115200 and only get garbage on the screen. Maybe its stuck in Garmin protocol? I'm grasping as straws at this point.

        Thanks,

        Ryan

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2012
          That should be it.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2012
            Yes, it's most likely in Garmin mode.  If you connect at 9600 baud and send a bunch of control-C's you might be able to get it to exit.  Otherwise you just need to run otwincfg with turbo mode disabled and click 'connect' before powering on the radio.

            Scott

            On 8/3/2012 5:12 AM, rschultz82 wrote:

            It does have a choice for auto ports. Some other info that might help is that last time I used this tracker, I had it hooked up to a Garmin 350 and it was working. I no longer have that GPS. I also cannot for the life of me figure out what speed it is using. I tried a terminal program in all speeds from 1200 baud to 115200 and only get garbage on the screen. Maybe its stuck in Garmin protocol? I'm grasping as straws at this point.

            Thanks,

            Ryan

            > if it doesn’t have the choice of picking “auto port” you don’t have the newest one.

          • rschultz82
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
              I have tried to connect via a terminal program and send a bunch of CTRL-C's and it still wont work. So this is the screen I get when I do disable turbo mode and connect to the t2-135.

              http://hardreboot.net/t2-135.png

              I just received my t3-135 in the mail and cant get that to play through serial either. I choose the com port, click connect, turn on the radio and it gives me an error.

              http://hardreboot.net/t3-135error.png

              I have tried 2 different computers. I don't have the driver for the usb side of the t3-135, so I cannot test that out. Wish I could get these to work.

            • rschultz82
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2012
                I got the t3-135 working through USB, had to use the OpenTracker USB driver for Windows 7. Now if I could only lick the problem on the t2-135.

                Ryan

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "rschultz82" <rschultz82@...> wrote:

                > I have tried to connect via a terminal program and send a bunch of CTRL-C's and it still wont work. So this is the screen I get when I do disable turbo mode and connect to the t2-135.
                >
                > http://hardreboot.net/t2-135.png
                >
                > I just received my t3-135 in the mail and cant get that to play through serial either. I choose the com port, click connect, turn on the radio and it gives me an error.
                >
                > http://hardreboot.net/t3-135error.png
                >
                > I have tried 2 different computers. I don't have the driver for the usb side of the t3-135, so I cannot test that out. Wish I could get these to work.
                >
                > Ryan
                > W9UEY

                > > Yes, it's most likely in Garmin mode. If you connect at 9600 baud and
                > > send a bunch of control-C's you might be able to get it to exit.
                > > Otherwise you just need to run otwincfg with turbo mode disabled and
                > > click 'connect' before powering on the radio.
                > >
                > > Scott
                > >
                > > On 8/3/2012 5:12 AM, rschultz82 wrote:
                > > >
                > > > It does have a choice for auto ports. Some other info that might help
                > > > is that last time I used this tracker, I had it hooked up to a Garmin
                > > > 350 and it was working. I no longer have that GPS. I also cannot for
                > > > the life of me figure out what speed it is using. I tried a terminal
                > > > program in all speeds from 1200 baud to 115200 and only get garbage on
                > > > the screen. Maybe its stuck in Garmin protocol? I'm grasping as straws
                > > > at this point.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > >
                > > > Ryan
                > > >
                > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                > > > portâEUR? you donâEUR^(TM)t have the newest one.

              • rschultz82
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 6, 2012
                  Still cant get the t2-135 working. Is there a way to clear/reset the memory on the t2-135 via a jumper or something? It's a t2-135 revision 1.1 if that means anything. If not, then I am going to have to put my EJ-41U back into my 2nd dr-135. Thanks to anyone that can help.

                  Thanks,

                  Ryan
                  W9UEY

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7, 2012
                    No, you have to reload it with otwincfg.  There's no storage space on the unit for a backup copy of the firmware and configuration.

                    If the T3-135 also wasn't working on serial, I'd strongly suspect your serial cabling or serial port.

                    What happens when you use a terminal program like PuTTY rather than otwincfg?

                  • rschultz82
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                      I have gotten the t3-135 to work fine on serial and otwincfg. The t2-135 is another story. Here is the troubleshooting I have done so far.

                      Computer A (Hardware serial Com1)
                      PuTTY:
                      4800 Baud: Outputs garbage (Same garbage over and over), doesn't respond to Ctrl-C
                      9600 Baud: Outputs garbage (Different from 4800baud, but still garbage over and over), doesn't respond to Ctrl-C
                      OTWINCFG:
                      Connects but shows everything blank

                      Computer B (USB To Serial Cable Com3)
                      PuTTY:
                      Same as Computer A
                      OTWINCFG:
                      Doesn't connect, gets a communications error as soon as I reset the t2-135.

                      More troubleshootings:

                      I am a programmer by trade and I downloaded the otwincfg from freepository and compiled in visual studio 2010 and here is what I have found out.

                      1. otwincfg is not able to determine the target (target array comes back blank, so devtype etc are not set)
                      2. Since otwincfg cannot determine target, some variables do not get set and no config is actually read from the radio.
                      3. Even forcing the target in code and actually trying to read data from the radio returns nothing.
                      4. otwincfg is not able to reset the radio, even using the garmin-mode reset code that is commented out.

                      I believe the hardware is fine, its just the config/firmware that is screwed up. Unfortunately, its a catch 22.
                      When i put the radio into data mode, the led's light up correctly. If I attach a gps reciever, the led on the t2-135 lights up correctly when recieving data from the GPS.

                      Oh well.

                      Thank you for your help Scott, it was most appreciated.

                      Ryan
                      W9UEY

                      > No, you have to reload it with otwincfg. There's no storage space on
                      > the unit for a backup copy of the firmware and configuration.
                      >
                      > If the T3-135 also wasn't working on serial, I'd strongly suspect your
                      > serial cabling or serial port.
                      >
                      > What happens when you use a terminal program like PuTTY rather than
                      > otwincfg?
                      >
                      > On 8/6/2012 5:54 PM, rschultz82 wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Still cant get the t2-135 working. Is there a way to clear/reset the
                      > > memory on the t2-135 via a jumper or something? It's a t2-135 revision
                      > > 1.1 if that means anything. If not, then I am going to have to put my
                      > > EJ-41U back into my 2nd dr-135. Thanks to anyone that can help.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Ryan
                      > > W9UEY
                    • rschultz82

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                          On a funny note, it seems it does still work, I just can't change the config. I left it on for a few hours and it was sending out packets and was picked up by the local digi. Here are some of the raw packets at the gateway.

                          20120807000307,W9UEY-9>APOT2A,KC9VIX*,WIDE2-2,qAR,AB9FX-1:!4146.56N/08759.29W>000/000T2-135 NUVI 360
                          20120807000327,W9UEY-9>APOT2A,KC9VIX*,WIDE2-2,qAR,AB9FX-1:!4146.56N/08759.30W>000/000T2-135 NUVI 360
                          20120807000349,W9UEY-9>APOT2A,KC9VIX*,WIDE2-2,qAR,AB9FX-1:!4146.56N/08759.30W>254/000T2-135 NUVI 360
                          20120807000409,W9UEY-9>APOT2A,KC9VIX*,WIDE2-2,qAR,AB9FX-1:!4146.56N/08759.30W>234/000T2-135 NUVI 360
                          20120807000430,W9UEY-9>APOT2A,KC9VIX*,WIDE2-2,qAR,AB9FX-1:!4146.56N/08759.30W>232/000T2-135 NUVI 360

                          Anyway, its not completely dead, but not useful if i can't get it out of garmin mode.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                            It sounds like it's stuck in Garmin mode.  I don't remember if that Garmin reset sequence still works.

                            Usually if it's failing to identify the target it's because of a comm glitch, like a USB adapter eating a byte or two during a baud rate switch.

                            If you can connect a nuvi, you ought to be able to send it a --AMODE AUTO command.  Likewise for remote access if you have AUTHLIST set.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 8, 2012
                              I have a bid on a Nuvi360, so I will try that when unit comes. Not sure if I ever set my call into the AUTHLIST long ago when I set it up. I think I will try that when I get home.

                              Thanks,

                              Ryan