Alternative to code worrier?

  • Bruce C
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2012
      Can someone recommend and Open Source IDE for this processor?

      Thanks,
      Bruce KG4HLZ

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2012
          I see that as a major bummer. I was looking for something that I could mod and make available in the Open Source community. If you need to buy a compiler, they won't support it.

          What is the damage for a CodeWarrier the is useful? I know that some of the more advanced versions go for several $K.

          May I suggest redesigning for something like AVR, ARM or something else that has good hobbies support.

          I do use Eclipse. I am not loyal to it though.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 30, 2012
            On 7/30/2012 7:58 PM, Bruce C wrote:
            > I see that as a major bummer. I was looking for something that I could
            > mod and make available in the Open Source community. If you need to buy
            > a compiler, they won't support it.
            >
            > What is the damage for a CodeWarrier the is useful? I know that some of
            > the more advanced versions go for several $K.

            The free version should compile the T2 and OTUSB code since they're
            under 64k. For the T3 you'd need the basic license, which runs about
            $400/year. However, I'm almost certain there ARE alternatives for the
            Coldfire architecture - I'm just not going that route myself because
            it's easier for me to keep everything in one development environment.
            You can also get a trial license for CW if you're just making a one-time
            change and can get it done in a month.

            > May I suggest redesigning for something like AVR, ARM or something else
            > that has good hobbies support.

            I've got 10 years of experience with the HC(S)08 processors, about 20
            years if you count the HC11 and older 6800 family and semi-related
            6502/6510/8502. I'm not as attached to Coldfire, but I tried ARM and
            wasn't terribly impressed and Coldfire's got some things going for it in
            MIPS/watt and cost.

            I don't mean to seem insensitive to the needs of hobbyists, but I have
            to work with this stuff every day for a living and honestly only a
            handful of people have ever bothered to do anything aside from the most
            minor tweaks to the OpenTracker and Tracker2 source code. I can't make
            major changes to my selection of tools for the convenience of a very
            small number of casual hobbyists, especially when there are
            free-as-in-beer options available. It would be different if there was a
            large, active community contributing to the code, but out of maybe
            30,000 lines of code I think around 10 were contributed by others.
            There's been even less interest since the introduction of the script
            system, and when I have the time to expand the script language further I
            think that will satisfy most people's needs for customization.

            I've seriously considered taking the Tracker3 closed source, since I
            *do* depend on selling this stuff to pay the rent, and there's a lot of
            work put into things like the USB bootloader that are horribly tedious
            to write and debug but yield a competitive advantage in the long run.
            Most hobbyists don't care about the $5 it would cost to slap an FTDI
            chip on a tracker and avoid all of that mess entirely, but for a
            production device that's a savings of thousands of dollars a year. So
            while the hobbyist saves $5, I'm potentially facing a real loss of
            competitive advantage by putting that code out there and maybe saving a
            competitor $5 per device.

            But I *do* care about the open source movement and I think the benefits
            generally outweigh the risks, so I'm keeping it open. And I'm always
            happy when someone does take a genuine interest in the project and uses
            it to build something new and different, but at the end of the day I
            have to go with what keeps me productive and best serves the majority of
            the end users.

            Sorry if I sound a little cranky - things have been more than a little
            hectic lately and it's been a week since I've had a full night's sleep.
            I'm going to go try to fix that now.

            Scott
          • Bruce C
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2012
              > Sorry if I sound a little cranky - things have been more than a little hectic lately and it's been a week since I've had a full night's sleep. I'm going to go try to fix that now.

              Not a problem. I hope that I didn't sound confrontational in my post. I was just making geek talk.

              I got my tracker3 and am working on setting it up. Like you, I have had some tiring days at work. So it may be this weekend before I have it up an running.