external tnc use with TM-D700A

  • Ron K7CDL
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2012
      I just ordered a TM-D700A. I just seen by the manual it doesn't have smart beacon. my question is if i use an external tnc (OT2m) mobile will i still have full D700A use (TX voice and aprs on side B) at same time when mobile? has anyone on here used OT2m external on kenwood TM-D700A?

      K7CDL
      Ron
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 2012
        On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Ron K7CDL
        <wyoming_semi_driver@...> wrote:
        > if i use an external tnc (OT2m) mobile will i still have full D700A use (TX voice and aprs on side B) at same time when mobile?

        No, not practically. My understanding is that the external TNC PTT
        follows the mic/control head PTT. About the best you can do is have
        two digital bands, on on internal TNC and one external TNC.

        --
        -Jason
        kg4wsv
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2012
          ok maybe I rushed too fast on ordering 700. I didn’t know 700 didn’t have smart beacon

          Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 9:04 PM
          Subject: Re: [tracker2] external tnc use with TM-D700A

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 2012
            On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM, rondall swart <wyoming_semi_driver@...> wrote:
            ok maybe I rushed too fast on ordering 700. I didn’t know 700 didn’t have smart beacon

            Smart beaconing isn't nearly awesome enough to abandon the APRS client that's built in to the D700 control head.

            The 700 has been discontinued for a few years. If it's new, you've probably got a D710, which I think does have smart beaconing.

            -Jason
            kg4wsv
          • rondall swart

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 28, 2012
                I owned a D700A. About a month ago, I let the manic smoke out of it to
                no fault of the radio. The port is actually an external data port for
                the internal TNC. I don't see any what to simply plug an external TNC in
                and have the duel operation of Pickett and Analog. You will probably
                need to hook it through that mic input just like any other radio. You
                could use an external computer that supports modern APRS and just use
                the internal TNC in UNPROTO mode.

                Some other issues with the radio is that the serial port doesn't
                support hardware handshaking. This has caused problems when using the
                radio as a packet unit (Not APRS). The buffer fills up and data is lost.
                I was told by a Kenwood technician at a Ham Fest that the D710 has the
                same problem. I think that they are just bit banging the port so they
                can save money, There is also just a lot of flakiness surrounding that
                port (at least the D700 version). A lot of people (including myself)
                have had trouble getting it to work with some devices.

                All in all, it was a good radio. After my experience with built in TNCs
                in general though, I didn't want to go with another one. The problem is
                that you are stuck with the limitations of the TNC for as long as you
                have the radio. TNC software technology advances faster the FM radio.

                I wound up buying a Kenwood TM-V71A. It is suppose to take the analog
                input from an external TNC and handle all of the duel mode details for
                you. I am waiting for my Tracker3 to show up to try it.

                I will say that any of the above options are better then having a
                separate radio for APRS. The radio handles the intermod for you. Not
                only does it keep the headaches down, you can push a lot more power
                without seeing issues.

                Bruce KG4HLZ

                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, rondall swart <wyoming_semi_driver@...>
                  > The port is actually an external data port for the internal TNC.

                  Actually the data port can be used to bypass the internal TNC and
                  connect in your own TNC.

                  > I don't see any what to simply plug an external TNC in
                  > and have the duel operation of Pickett and Analog. You will probably
                  > need to hook it through that mic input just like any other radio.

                  Or use the external data port for the purpose it was designed for...

                • Bruce C
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 28, 2012
                    Well look at that! Your right! I just checked and there is a true eternal TNC port. This radio was installed in my car for a couple of years and I didn't mess with it. I forgot about that one. Well I guess that before I open my mouth I should "Romeo Tango Foxtrot Merry".

                    Bruce
                    KG4HLZ