>APOT21 T2WX Weather?

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2012
      Greetings,

      I'm trying to improve the weather platform recognizer in APRSISCE/32 and
      noticed a bunch of weather packets going by the APRS-IS with a ToCall of
      >APOT21 and/or >APOT2A and a weather platform/unit identifier of T2WX.

      Question: Is that an OpenTracker weather device of some kind?

      According to aprs101.pdf, the T should be the "APRS Software Type" and
      the 2WX should be the "Weather Unit Type", but these values are not
      listed as known on page 63 and I'm not aware of any clearing house /
      addendum list for these values post 1.01.

      Any helpful hints or definitive knowledge would be appreciated.

      On another note, these stations also seem to transmit a posit (sometimes
      without comment) and then a position-specific weather packet. Seems a
      bit redundant to me.

      PS. These are being observed on CWOP, Firenet and APRS-IS and some
      sample stations are:

      VE7MHW-8, EA8ADH-11, K3BZG-3 which is beaconing way too often, TWNCRK,
      LAWEMA, HUBBRD,, KC5ZCH-3
    • Tom Hayward
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2012
        On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to improve the weather platform recognizer in APRSISCE/32 and
        > noticed a bunch of weather packets going by the APRS-IS with a ToCall of
        > >APOT21 and/or >APOT2A and a weather platform/unit identifier of T2WX.
        >
        > Question: Is that an OpenTracker weather device of some kind?

        Here is one data point:
        2012-07-16 12:22:16 MDT:
        BALDI>APOT21,WIDE2-1,qAR,KC7AVA-2:!4713.13N/12150.61W_PHG7830/W2,WAn,Baldi
        N7FSP
        2012-07-16 12:22:17 MDT:
        BALDI>APOT21,WIDE2-1,qAR,KC7AVA-2:!4713.13N/12150.61W_358/007g010t059p019h63b10016T2WX

        I expect Gmail will break those into multiple lines, sorry. That is a
        Tracker2 (OT2m) with a Peet Bros station attached. I too am annoyed by
        the back-to-back position packets.

        Tom KD7LXL
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2012
          Here are the weather station IDs used by Argent products:

          OTW1 - ADS-WS1
          T2WX - OpenTracker USB, Tracker2, Tracker3
          OD1w - OpenTracker+

          The OD1w ID was supposed to be for Dallas 1-wire stations only, but it looks like I forgot to change the ID for the other station types.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16, 2012
            Thank you very much Scott!  That's the confirmation I was looking for.

            Now you do realize that the O and T are supposedly the "APRS Software Type" and the actual "Weather Unit Types" are TW1, 2WX, and D1w (that was intentionally lower case, right?)?

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2012
              I'm sure I talked to Bob about that years ago. There didn't seem to be
              any real coordination of those tags.

              On 7/16/2012 12:37 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
              > Thank you very much Scott! That's the confirmation I was looking for.
              >
              > Now you do realize that the O and T are supposedly the "APRS Software
              > Type" and the actual "Weather Unit Types" are TW1, 2WX, and D1w (that
              > was intentionally lower case, right?)?

              > On 7/16/2012 3:07 PM, Scott Miller wrote:
              >> Here are the weather station IDs used by Argent products:
              >>
              >> OTW1 - ADS-WS1
              >> T2WX - OpenTracker USB, Tracker2, Tracker3
              >> OD1w - OpenTracker+
              >>
              >> The OD1w ID was supposed to be for Dallas 1-wire stations only, but it
              >> looks like I forgot to change the ID for the other station types.
              >>
              >> Scott
              >>
              >> On 7/16/2012 11:33 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
              >>>
              >>> Greetings,
              >>>
              >>> I'm trying to improve the weather platform recognizer in APRSISCE/32 and
              >>> noticed a bunch of weather packets going by the APRS-IS with a ToCall of
              >>>
              >>> Question: Is that an OpenTracker weather device of some kind?
              >>>
              >>> According to aprs101.pdf, the T should be the "APRS Software Type" and
              >>> the 2WX should be the "Weather Unit Type", but these values are not
              >>> listed as known on page 63 and I'm not aware of any clearing house /
              >>> addendum list for these values post 1.01.
              >>>
              >>> Any helpful hints or definitive knowledge would be appreciated.
              >>>
              >>> On another note, these stations also seem to transmit a posit (sometimes
              >>> without comment) and then a position-specific weather packet. Seems a
              >>> bit redundant to me.

              >>> PS. These are being observed on CWOP, Firenet and APRS-IS and some
              >>> sample stations are:
              >>>
              >>> VE7MHW-8, EA8ADH-11, K3BZG-3 which is beaconing way too often, TWNCRK,
              >>> LAWEMA, HUBBRD,, KC5ZCH-3

            • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2012
                I've programmed around it in my recognizer. The next development
                release will identify those trailing IDs as (pardon the raw C code, but
                I think you'll get the picture):

                > //OTW1 - ADS-WS1
                > //T2WX - OpenTracker USB, Tracker2, Tracker3
                > //OD1w - OpenTracker+

                { { "OD1w", "OpenTracker+", PLATFORM_OPEN_TRACK, "OpenTracker+" },
                { "OTW1", "ADS-WS1", PLATFORM_OPEN_TRACK, "ADS-WS1" },
                { "T2WX", "OpenTracker", PLATFORM_OPEN_TRACK, "OT-USB/T2/T3" } };

                Thank you for the information again, and I agree about the lack of (at
                least visible) coordination of the weather packet trailers.

                PS. I did finally find a page describing the UserDefined usages if
                you're interested for any reason:

                http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/expfmts.txt