Site Alert 3+

  • vk6mrg_3
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 6 6:01 AM
      I'm looking at getting a Site Alert 3+ and was wondering if anyone has one hooked up to the Open Tracker 2m?
      And if so, how did you do it?
      Or, can the OT2m be used as a kiss TNC and still function as a Digipeater at the same time?
      Any help gratefully accepted.

      Regards,
      Matthew
      VK6MRG
    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 6 6:19 AM
        The OT2 can be used as a digi and have a KISS interface at the same time.

        Provide a link to the SiteAlert thingie and we can look it up.

        Best regards,
        Fred, N7FMH

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 6 6:40 AM

          Hello Fred,

          The Site Alert 3+ has no website. But does have a Yahoo group.

          I have made a folder in the files section under Site Alert 3 for all the info that I have been able to find.

          I have contacted the designer of the Site Alert 3 to ask if this will hook up to the OT2m, but he has no experience with the OT2m.

          This is part of the email that I received for him on the matter.

          Site Alert assumes it is connected to a TNC running UI-Digi firmware.

          The UI-Digi treats the serial port as a receive only port, that is any data that is received on the serial port is transmitted out on RF, based on a couple of settings that control path etc.

          I am not familiar with the Argent Data Tracker, but assuming it will pass what it hears on the serial port out to RF it should be fine.

          The only thing that pops into my mind is Site Alert may need to put the tracker into “converse mode” to allow it to pass information.”

          Does this help at all?

          Thanks again for the assist.

          Regards,

          Matthew

          VK6MRG

          Matthew Garside,  VK6MRG,  Paraburdoo, WA, Australia

          www.vk6mrg.id.au             vk6mrg@...

          It’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 6 7:46 AM
            Interesting hardware. What is your end goal?

            The OT2 and the new OT3 will allow connecting a 1-Wire device for temperature sensing.

            I did not see anything describing the radio interface connector.

            Best regards,
            Fred, N7FMH

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 6 7:53 AM
              Hmm, when I ask "What is your end goal?" I mean that without looking at specific hardware or software what are you trying to achieve?

              Best regards,
              Fred, N7FMH

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6 5:45 PM
                On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM, vk6mrg <vk6mrg@...> wrote:

                > The Site Alert 3+ has no website. But does have a Yahoo group.

                > I have made a folder in the files section under Site Alert 3 for all the
                > info that I have been able to find.

                Or the simple solution would have been to just copy and paste this
                into the first email...

                *********
                SiteAlert3 is used to monitor the local conditions on an APRS(c) Digipeater.
                It reports the battery voltage, temperature and number of PTT's of the TNC
                Telemetry is sent every 30 minutes.
                It has two alarm inputs, one relay output.
                It transmits a Message and Item when an alarm is active

                Site Alert3 Plus also has the following features
                Over Temperature alarming added to in built temperature sensor
                Second A-D port with Low voltage alarming
                Option for second temperature sensor with Over Temperature alarm
                Second relay output whose operation is selectable for an alarm on
                Input 1, an Over temperature on the main sensor , or a Low voltage on
                second A-D
                A change in alarm status message is only sent four times. ( The Alarm
                Item is still sent until all alarms have cleared)
                An enhanced user interface
                **********

                > I have contacted the designer of the Site Alert 3 to ask if this will hook
                > up to the OT2m, but he has no experience with the OT2m.

                Well, I can't say that this device would connect up and work properly
                for sure, but I can tell you this... there's no need to put a Site
                Alter 3 into a site with an OT2m. The OT2m does just about everything
                that the Site Alert 3 does. Let's have a look.

                SiteAlert3 is used to monitor the local conditions on an APRS(c) Digipeater.

                Yup, so can an OT2m.

                It reports the battery voltage, temperature and number of PTT's of the TNC

                Yup, so can an OT2m, except the PTT count.

                Telemetry is sent every 30 minutes.

                The OT2m can be configured to send telemetry as desired.

                It has two alarm inputs, one relay output.

                Yup, so does an OT2m, actually it has more inputs available.

                It transmits a Message and Item when an alarm is active

                Yup, so can an OT2m, but I'm not sure what the author means by Item.
                An Item is a type of APRS data structure, but I'm not sure what he
                would do with that. Do you have an example of the alarm output?

                Site Alert3 Plus also has the following features
                Over Temperature alarming added to in built temperature sensor

                Yup, so can an OT2m.

                Second A-D port with Low voltage alarming

                Yup, so can an OT2m.

                Option for second temperature sensor with Over Temperature alarm

                Yup, so can an OT2m.

                Second relay output whose operation is selectable for an alarm on Input 1,
                an Over temperature on the main sensor , or a Low voltage on second A-D

                Only one relay output on the OT2m.

                A change in alarm status message is only sent four times.
                ( The Alarm Item is still sent until all alarms have cleared)

                This could be done with the OT2m.

                An enhanced user interface

                Again, not sure what this is... is it software that you can use to
                connect to the device? Can you modify the device settings remotely via
                APRS messages? You can with the OT2m.

                Here's a wiki page that describes a bit of the telemetry that I use
                with the OT2m.

                http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Site_Telemetry

                The magic happens in the scripting engine...

                http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Scripting

                Not trying to take money out of your neighbor's pocket, but just about
                everything his add on device does is already built into the OT2m.

              • vk6mrg
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 6 10:33 PM

                  I wanted to have a second voltage input to monitor the solar panel. (so I can track the amount of solar hours the site is getting)

                  The batteries for the site are located in a separate enclosure, so an extra temp sensor to monitor the batteries would be nice.

                  The digital output was going to be used as a low volt alarm/cut-out switch to turn off the voice repeater on site.

                  The second digital output I was thinking that it could be used for switching on a cooling fan in the enclosure.

                  And for the two digital inputs, we were going to use them as door switch alarms.

                  But if the OT2m can do almost everything that the Site Alert 3+ can do then that is a good thing. I have no experience with scripting or 1 wire devices so this will be a bit of a problem.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 7 10:38 AM
                    On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:33 PM, vk6mrg <vk6mrg@...> wrote:

                    > I wanted to have a second voltage input to monitor the solar panel. (so I
                    > can track the amount of solar hours the site is getting)

                    Like this?

                    http://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/WOLFLK?range=day

                    > The batteries for the site are located in a separate enclosure, so an
                    > extra temp sensor to monitor the batteries would be nice.

                    The OT2 can do an external temperature sensor on the 1 wire bus.

                    > The digital output was going to be used as a low volt alarm/cut-out switch
                    > to turn off the voice repeater on site.

                    You can use the power relay to do that... I use it to start up a
                    propane powered generator on site when the voltage drops below a set
                    point.

                    > The second digital output I was thinking that it could be used for
                    > switching on a cooling fan in the enclosure.

                    You could use a thermostat for that, only one output is available on the OT2...

                    > And for the two digital inputs, we were going to use them as door switch
                    > alarms.

                    I have a single door alarm contact using the counter input. I can see
                    when people enter/exit the building, an dhow many times the door is
                    opened. You can wire both doors in series and use a single input.

                    > But if the OT2m can do almost everything that the Site Alert 3+ can do
                    > then that is a good thing. I have no experience with scripting or 1 wire
                    > devices so this will be a bit of a problem.

                    It's only a problem if you are unable to read, or unwilling to learn,
                    and experiment.

                    The information about adding in some access to extra I/O on the OT2 is
                    in the wiki. Scripting information, including examples of using the
                    extra I/O for alarm reporting is also available.

                    Before I read the scripting information on the wiki, I hadn't written
                    any scripts for the OT2. I still haven't played with a 1 wire device,
                    but there's enough information about 1 wire devices in this SIG, and
                    on the net to be able to figure it out.

                    Go read the information in the wiki and start playing.

                    If you run into issues, ask away.