Re: [tracker2] UIFLOOD functionality

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 26, 2012
      On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

      > The goal is to operate during the Golden Packet event without having to
      > purchase a D710. The event calls for an UIFLOOD setting of HOP7-7.
      > See link for more info: http://www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
      >
      > I am looking at the T3 manual, section 13.12. Digipeater Settings. As I see
      > it, I would leave the ID box unchecked and that would be the same as the
      > UIFLOOD mode on the KPC3.
      >
      > Any comments?

      The OT3 can not be configured as per the settings at the URL above.

      Scott does not support the type of digipeating that is done by the
      UIFLOOD routine.

      The OT line that supports digipeating does a hybrid style of
      digipeating that is part way between UIFLOOD and UITRACE.

      With ID enabled, it is pretty darned close to UITRACE style
      digipeating. (Based on the KPC-3 implementations of UIFLOOD and
      UITRACE as the defacto standard, as they were the original
      implementation)

      With ID disabled, it is pretty darned close to UIFLOOD NOID style digipeating.

      The Golden Packet event calls for UFLOOD ID style digipeating, which
      the OT2/3 line do not support.

      UIFLOOD ID style digipeating overwrites the last digipeater callsign
      with it's own as the packet moves along the path, rather than not
      inserting, or full insertion, which is what Scott supports.

      It's close, but not quite there.

    • Fred Hillhouse
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 27, 2012
        >> The goal is to operate during the Golden Packet event without having to
        purchase a D710. The event calls for an UIFLOOD setting of HOP7-7.
        >> See link for more info: http://www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html
        >>
        >> I am looking at the T3 manual, section 13.12. Digipeater Settings. As I
        see it, I would leave the ID box unchecked and that would be the same as the
        UIFLOOD mode on the KPC3.

        >> Any comments?

        > The OT3 can not be configured as per the settings at the URL above.
        > Scott does not support the type of digipeating that is done by the UIFLOOD
        routine.

        He is not alone.

        > The OT line that supports digipeating does a hybrid style of digipeating
        that is part way between UIFLOOD and UITRACE.

        Please explain.

        I am familiar with the KPC3+v8.3 implementation. I know this version is not
        up to the latest specification. I would like to replace it at some point
        with something current (and upgradeable).

        > With ID enabled, it is pretty darned close to UITRACE style digipeating.
        (Based on the KPC-3 implementations of UIFLOOD and UITRACE as the defacto
        standard, as they were the original implementation)

        Would you say the latest version KPC3 and Kenwood implementation of UITRACE
        and UIFLOOD are basically the same?

        > With ID disabled, it is pretty darned close to UIFLOOD NOID style
        digipeating.

        This doesn't support the SSn-N specification, UIFLOOD SS,30,ID. It looks
        like it might still get the job done but without any station IDs.

        > The Golden Packet event calls for UIFLOOD ID style digipeating, which the
        OT2/3 line do not support.
        > UIFLOOD ID style digipeating overwrites the last digipeater callsign with
        it's own as the packet moves along the path, rather than not inserting, or
        full insertion, which is what Scott supports.
        > It's close, but not quite there.

        Up until now, I only had a basic idea of how UIFLOOD ID and NOID functioned.
        Actually, NOID was the only part I really understood, ID was a bit of a
        mystery. After reading your comments, the ID functionality has suddenly
        clicked.

        I set up a KPC digi a few years ago using UIFLOOD for SSn-N not really
        knowing how it functioned. I just followed instructions with the goal of
        getting an APRS hole filled. I never really figured out how the function
        actually worked even after reading about the commands and some comments.
        There is nothing like continuing education! :)

        Hopefully at some point in the future, Scott will add more UIFLOOD
        functionality since he has increased code/memory space. :)

        > --
        > James
        > VE6SRV

        Thank you James for your comments!

        Best regards,
        Fred, N7FMH
      • Fred Hillhouse
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 27, 2012
          In an ideal world, D710 owners would be climbing over each other claiming spots along the route. In addition, this ideal world might add more events like this in other parts of the world as well.

          However, the world is not ideal. There are not thousands or hundreds or tens clamoring for a drive-to location.

          I am actually quite surprised that someone is willing to climb Katahdin. His picture from last year is on the link below. He has volunteered again.

          The current options open to me are:
          1. Buy a Kenwood D710. As much as I would like one, it isn't going to happen.
          2. Attempt to use hardware/software I currently own since I have an investment here already, this is preferred.

          Best regards,
          Fred, N7FMH

          Reading the details. It states you have to run one of the Kenwood rigs.

          ????

          Dwaine

          Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

          Greetings,

          The goal is to operate during the Golden Packet event without having to
          purchase a D710. The event calls for an UIFLOOD setting of HOP7-7.
          See link for more info: http://www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

          I am looking at the T3 manual, section 13.12. Digipeater Settings. As I see
          it, I would leave the ID box unchecked and that would be the same as the
          UIFLOOD mode on the KPC3.

          Any comments?

          Thanks!

          Best regards,

          ------------------------------------
          Fred Hillhouse Jr
          http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?N7FMH
          ------------------------------------

        • Dwaine Garden VE3GIF
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 27, 2012
            Reading the details about the event, it seems really exciting test.   I wish I could volunteer.  I actually have two D710.   Great radio for APRS.
            I only mentioned the issue with using other hardware, because the site used very strong language and tone about the hardware must be D710 and D700.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 27, 2012
              I would be happy to give the space to a D710 owner if one becomes available. Or we could team up. Come visit let's team up! :)

              Best regards,
              Fred, N7FMH

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 27, 2012
                On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Dwaine Garden VE3GIF
                <DwaineGarden@...> wrote:

                > Reading the details about the event, it seems really exciting test.   I
                > wish I could volunteer.  I actually have two D710.   Great radio for APRS.
                > I only mentioned the issue with using other hardware, because the site
                > used very strong language and tone about the hardware must be D710 and D700.

                Read the full text, and you'll see that the vehement request for the
                Kenwood or Yaesu gear is to remove the invariable number of poor
                settings and interface issues introduced by people building
                digipeaters. The prebuilt digipeater capabilities available in the
                Kenwood and Yaesu gear removes the bad interface settings variability.

                Other gear *could* be used successfully for the event, but the chances
                of people screwing it up is much more prevalent with other gear. Bob's
                just aiming to try and make it work.

              • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 27, 2012
                  On 6/27/2012 10:59 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                  > The prebuilt digipeater capabilities available in the Kenwood and
                  > Yaesu gear removes the bad interface settings variability. Other gear
                  > *could* be used successfully for the event, but the chances of people
                  > screwing it up is much more prevalent with other gear.

                  To my knowledge, Yaesu APRS-capable radios don't digipeat. That's a
                  unique feature of the Kenwood APRS radios (and other TNC/software
                  combinations) at this point in time.

                • Dwaine Garden VE3GIF
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 28, 2012
                    I really glad that I bought the Kenwood D710 radio for APRS. The software firmware updates is were the rig really shines.