Re: [tracker2] GPS receiver traffic input

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2012
      On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:
      > On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Tom Tengdin <t.tengdin@...> wrote:
      >> Has anyone looked at the protocol details for the traffic updates to GPS
      >> receivers to see if it could be used for APRS?
      >
      > I thought about it, then found out that Huntsville isn't large enough
      > to get that traffic service.  :|
      >
      > is Google's traffic data available anywhere?  At least, I assume it's
      > google.  it shows up in the iPhone maps app.

      Which way are you looking at it? It sounds like Tom wants to send APRS
      data into the GPS as traffic data, whereas Jason sounds like he's
      looking to take traffic data and turn it into data to be delivered by
      APRS.

    • Tom Tengdin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2012
        Tom wanted to use the traffic input to plot aprs data.

        Some further research reveals that there are only 65K positions
        available for the traffic updates.

        So it would mean making and uploading a local file with more resolution
        into the GPS and then mapping the APRS positions onto the file. Would
        also apparently allow for a limited number of labels.

        Probably not a path with any cheese down it.

        T3