GPS receiver traffic input

  • Tom Tengdin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2012
      Has anyone looked at the protocol details for the traffic updates to GPS
      receivers to see if it could be used for APRS?

      I have several GPS receivers that include Traffic alerts which I think
      come from broadcast FM subcarrier.

      T3
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 10, 2012
        On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Tom Tengdin <t.tengdin@...> wrote:
        > Has anyone looked at the protocol details for the traffic updates to GPS
        > receivers to see if it could be used for APRS?

        I thought about it, then found out that Huntsville isn't large enough
        to get that traffic service. :|

        is Google's traffic data available anywhere? At least, I assume it's
        google. it shows up in the iPhone maps app.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 10, 2012
          On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:
          > On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Tom Tengdin <t.tengdin@...> wrote:
          >> Has anyone looked at the protocol details for the traffic updates to GPS
          >> receivers to see if it could be used for APRS?
          >
          > I thought about it, then found out that Huntsville isn't large enough
          > to get that traffic service.  :|
          >
          > is Google's traffic data available anywhere?  At least, I assume it's
          > google.  it shows up in the iPhone maps app.

          Which way are you looking at it? It sounds like Tom wants to send APRS
          data into the GPS as traffic data, whereas Jason sounds like he's
          looking to take traffic data and turn it into data to be delivered by
          APRS.

        • Tom Tengdin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 10, 2012
            Tom wanted to use the traffic input to plot aprs data.

            Some further research reveals that there are only 65K positions
            available for the traffic updates.

            So it would mean making and uploading a local file with more resolution
            into the GPS and then mapping the APRS positions onto the file. Would
            also apparently allow for a limited number of labels.

            Probably not a path with any cheese down it.

            T3