Re: [tracker2] ot3m and garmin 1490LMT

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2012
      First, start with a 1490-compatible FMI cable. It is NOT the same as a
      350 FMI cable.

      Second, plug cable into the only mini-USB port on the GPS.

      Third, plug the other end into a suitably configured Tracker2 family
      device. I didn't change my T2-135 configuration between talking to a
      350 and 1490, just changed the GPS and FMI cable.

      Oh, and then I told the T2-135 not to send any waypoints because the
      1490 presumably does the breadcrumb trails, but I only wanted it for
      APRS messaging only. It's KJ4OVQ-9, now with a 1490LMT replacing the
      original 350 connected to a T2-135/Alinco DR-135 combination.

      PS. I'm still looking for an FMI w/traffic cable for the 1490...

      On 6/9/2012 5:50 AM, exi_64 wrote:
      > anyone know how to get fmi to show up on this device.
      > I have a ot3m and a fmi 15 cabel between. I checked the out put from ot3m and it seams to be garmin... can realy say for sure due to bin protocol.. but my garmin dose not show the fmi interface...
      > btw the port is set to garmin and speed is set to auto.. on the ot3m.
      > I have shorted pin 7& 8. on the dsub.

    • exi_64
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2012
        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

        > First, start with a 1490-compatible FMI cable. It is NOT the same as a
        > 350 FMI cable.
        >
        > Second, plug cable into the only mini-USB port on the GPS.
        >
        > Third, plug the other end into a suitably configured Tracker2 family
        > device. I didn't change my T2-135 configuration between talking to a
        > 350 and 1490, just changed the GPS and FMI cable.
        >
        > Oh, and then I told the T2-135 not to send any waypoints because the
        > 1490 presumably does the breadcrumb trails, but I only wanted it for
        > APRS messaging only. It's KJ4OVQ-9, now with a 1490LMT replacing the
        > original 350 connected to a T2-135/Alinco DR-135 combination.

        > PS. I'm still looking for an FMI w/traffic cable for the 1490...
        >
        > On 6/9/2012 5:50 AM, exi_64 wrote:
        > > anyone know how to get fmi to show up on this device.
        > > I have a ot3m and a fmi 15 cabel between. I checked the out put from ot3m and it seams to be garmin... can realy say for sure due to bin protocol.. but my garmin dose not show the fmi interface...
        > > btw the port is set to garmin and speed is set to auto.. on the ot3m.
        > > I have shorted pin 7& 8. on the dsub.

        Hi, thanx for a fast replay...
        did you change tho tx/rx pin on the cabel.. and what cable did you use.. I got a garmin FMI 15 cabel, PN:10-11232-10

        I tried with the ot3m in garmin mode 9600 bps and auto, but stile no fmi mode is showing.. The info from garmin explains that ex serial to gps is suppose to go on pin 3 and tx serial is suppose to go to pin 2 on the dsub. dose that match your configuration in any way.

        And is there some more places to change/configure on the OT3m other then the garmin/auto mode for the port in the software?

        regarding traffic receiver, at the current state there is not a combined option for fmi and traffic receiver on the cable for the 1490LMT according to garmin...
      • exi_64
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2012
          --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

          > First, start with a 1490-compatible FMI cable. It is NOT the same as a
          > 350 FMI cable.
          >
          > Second, plug cable into the only mini-USB port on the GPS.
          >
          > Third, plug the other end into a suitably configured Tracker2 family
          > device. I didn't change my T2-135 configuration between talking to a
          > 350 and 1490, just changed the GPS and FMI cable.
          >
          > Oh, and then I told the T2-135 not to send any waypoints because the
          > 1490 presumably does the breadcrumb trails, but I only wanted it for
          > APRS messaging only. It's KJ4OVQ-9, now with a 1490LMT replacing the
          > original 350 connected to a T2-135/Alinco DR-135 combination.

          > PS. I'm still looking for an FMI w/traffic cable for the 1490...
          >
          > On 6/9/2012 5:50 AM, exi_64 wrote:
          > > anyone know how to get fmi to show up on this device.
          > > I have a ot3m and a fmi 15 cabel between. I checked the out put from ot3m and it seams to be garmin... can realy say for sure due to bin protocol.. but my garmin dose not show the fmi interface...
          > > btw the port is set to garmin and speed is set to auto.. on the ot3m.
          > > I have shorted pin 7& 8. on the dsub.

          Hi, thanx for fats respond...
          trying my replay ... agen...

          Regarding the cable, I am using the Garmin FMI 15 PN:010-11232-10.
          Did you connect rx from gps to pin 3 on the dsub and tx from gps to pin 2 on the dsub ?. And I strapped pin 7 & pin 8, but not sure if that is needed for this device ?

          I also only change the software configuration on the OT3m to garmin, is there any other places I need to change any settings on the ot3m. I controlled the ot3m agenst normal network in kiss mode, and I get incoming aprs data just fine.

          Regarding the traffic receiver, as far as I understand garmin there is at the current stage no available combined cable for FMI and traffic receiver for the device. (sadly) it is for other versions...
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2012
            > I tried with the ot3m in garmin mode 9600 bps and auto, but stile no fmi
            > mode is showing.. The info from garmin explains that ex serial to gps is
            > suppose to go on pin 3 and tx serial is suppose to go to pin 2 on the
            > dsub. dose that match your configuration in any way.

            For the OT3m, you should have the yellow wire on pin 2, white on pin 3,
            and brown on pin 5. For the T3-135, swap 2 and 3.

            > And is there some more places to change/configure on the OT3m other then
            > the garmin/auto mode for the port in the software?

            No, that should do it. Make sure you've got power connected to the FMI
            cable.