Re: [tracker2] Re: GTRANS

    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2012
      > My impression is the GTRANS is a GARMIN/NMEA converter and that FMI is
      > just a command set within the GARMIN protocol.

      Yes, more or less. FMI-capable devices implement *some* of the non-FMI
      Garmin protocol functions found in other devices. This includes the PVT
      (position, velocity, and time) protocol. On the nuvi 350 and some
      others it includes the waypoint creation protocol. This means that on
      the nuvi 350 the GTRANS controller doesn't have to command the nuvi to
      enter FMI mode, and that it's also capable (with the right electrical
      interface) of talking to non-FMI Garmin devices.

      If it detects that the connected device is capable of FMI 2.5 or later,
      it has to put it in to FMI mode to use the newer waypoint creation
      protocol, which is an FMI function and not one of the legacy protocols.