Digipeater Question

  • cycliste3
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2007
      Hi all,

      I'm trying to use my OT2 as a digipeater and have
      encountered a strange problem. The OT2 (Build 54076)
      seems to be sending and receiving O.K., but doesn't
      retransmit long bursts of data.

      My test setup is:
      Desktop PC to MFJ1270 TNC to an HTX-202 HT.

      OT2 to another HTX-202 (using one of my old
      call signs in the OT2 to prevent confusion).

      BBS on a KAM Plus with a Kenwood mobile rig.
      ----------
      If I connect directly from the PC to the Kam Plus BBS,
      everything works fine.
      ----------
      If I digipeat through the Kam Plus to our County BBS,
      everything works fine.
      ----------
      If I digipeat through the OT2 to the Kam Plus BBS, I
      receive the initial logon message:

      : *** CONNECTED to KG6POV-1
      [KAMP-8.0-HM$]
      99667 BYTES AVAILABLE
      THERE IS 1 MESSAGE NUMBERED 3
      ENTER COMMAND: B,J,K,L,R,S, or Help >

      Then if I type B to log off, the log off procedure
      works correctly.
      But if I enter a command which requires more data transfer,
      like Help, the BBS sends several packets but the OT2
      doesn't retransmit them. After a few seconds the BBS
      calls the OT2, the OT2 responds, and the BBS sends the
      packets again. But the OT2 never retransmits, so this
      back-and-forth goes on until the BBS gives up.

      It seems likely that I've managed to inadvertently set
      or reset a bit or something, since other folks seem to
      be using the digipeater feature. However, I'm getting
      the same problem with both config 1 and config 2. So,
      I'm stumped.

      Does anyone have any thoughts?

      Thanks in advance,

      Wes Freeman
      KG6POV
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2007
        The T2's digipeater functions are intended for APRS use.  I've never actually tried using it for connected mode.  Any idea how big the packets are that it's not relaying?  I think the T2's max packet size (for transmit) is 256 bytes.  It'll just drop anything longer than that.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2007
          Thanks for the help, Scott, that must be the problem. The packets that the OT2
          did relay were about 200 bytes. The 'Help' data was over 600 bytes.

          "Back in the old days" you could piggyback memory chips to double the memory
          in an Altair, etc, computer, but I guess that won't work for a 68HC908.  :-)

          Cheers,

          Wes Freeman
          KG6POV