Re: trouble sending messages

  • seerdman
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3 6:57 PM
      Go to the Files section of this group and take a look at the nuviv1.pdf document. It has some helpful information about messaging to get you started. Probably won't answer all your questions, but it's a good place for the first shovel blade of digging...

      73,

      Steve
      KF7MXS

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

      > Go ahead and email the latest build, I'm happy to test. I'm thinking
      > this one may very well be inexperience and user error. I've had it
      > about a week and I know it wasn't built long ago as I believe it to
      > have been part of the final production run of T2-301's. Though I
      > can't look right now at the exact firmware rev that's loaded it's
      > gotta be fairly recent as it's whatever was loaded at production time
      > (a week or 2 ago).
      >
      > Some help on initiating, recieving, and responding to aprs messages is
      > probably helpful though.
      >
      > on the nuvi one navigates to the messaging screen which gives inbox,
      > outbox, and compose options. I select compose, after which a single
      > box in which text can be entered appears. there is mo place to enter
      > a to, from, or subject field.... I just enter some text and press
      > send. am I doing this right? how are messages addressed to be sent
      > to specific places? how are messages sent to everyone as a qst or a
      > general message to all within digipeater range? how is aprs messaging
      > (via the nuvi and T2) done? anyone care to point me to a short
      > tutorial (or help write one)?
      >
      > Eric
      >
      > On 5/2/12, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
      > >> simular firmware dates, but on my OT-2's, I have found 55076 is very
      > >> stable, and both my Nuvi-350's and Nuvi-755T send and receive messages
      > >> well with that version. On some of the newer versions messaging is
      > >> broken completely on my nuvi-755t, and sporadic on the nuvi-350's.
      > >
      > > When I was doing the T3 port, I found some head-scratchers in the FMI
      > > code ("Why did I do this, and how has it been working?") that I think
      > > I've got fixed. I've done testing on the T3 but not so much on the T2
      > > yet. Buffer sizes are different between the versions, IIRC. If you've
      > > got a consistent failure, I can email you the latest build off-list for
      > > testing.
      > >
      > > Scott

    • Eric Fort
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3 8:14 PM
        Files section? this is an email list. is there some sort of website
        not related to argentdata where info is hidden and locked away?

        Eric

        On 5/3/12, seerdman <seerdman@...> wrote:
        > Go to the Files section of this group and take a look at the nuviv1.pdf
        > document. It has some helpful information about messaging to get you
        > started. Probably won't answer all your questions, but it's a good place
        > for the first shovel blade of digging...
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Steve
        > KF7MXS
        >
        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Go ahead and email the latest build, I'm happy to test. I'm thinking
        >> this one may very well be inexperience and user error. I've had it
        >> about a week and I know it wasn't built long ago as I believe it to
        >> have been part of the final production run of T2-301's. Though I
        >> can't look right now at the exact firmware rev that's loaded it's
        >> gotta be fairly recent as it's whatever was loaded at production time
        >> (a week or 2 ago).
        >>
        >> Some help on initiating, recieving, and responding to aprs messages is
        >> probably helpful though.
        >>
        >> on the nuvi one navigates to the messaging screen which gives inbox,
        >> outbox, and compose options. I select compose, after which a single
        >> box in which text can be entered appears. there is mo place to enter
        >> a to, from, or subject field.... I just enter some text and press
        >> send. am I doing this right? how are messages addressed to be sent
        >> to specific places? how are messages sent to everyone as a qst or a
        >> general message to all within digipeater range? how is aprs messaging
        >> (via the nuvi and T2) done? anyone care to point me to a short
        >> tutorial (or help write one)?
        >>
        >> Eric

        >> > When I was doing the T3 port, I found some head-scratchers in the FMI
        >> > code ("Why did I do this, and how has it been working?") that I think
        >> > I've got fixed. I've done testing on the T3 but not so much on the T2
        >> > yet. Buffer sizes are different between the versions, IIRC. If you've
        >> > got a consistent failure, I can email you the latest build off-list for
        >> > testing.
        >> >
        >> > Scott

      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3 8:24 PM
          This is a Yahoo group. And if you visit the group on the web, you'll
          find the Files section. The bottom of every message says (in one form
          or another):

        • Eric Fort
          Message 4 of 16 , May 3 9:16 PM
            ok, so yahoo has a page that says this group exists and apparently
            hosts the listserv that runs it. I still see no means of getting to
            any files. yes there's a some text along the left margin that lists,
            posts, files, photos, links, etc. but none are clickable nor do any
            act as links. no web access is required to join this group, when I
            joined I simply sent a subscribe request to the listserv subscribe
            address and the mailing list software at yahoo added me to the list.

            Eric

          • Eric Fort
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3 11:59 PM
              On 5/2/12, Alan <alan@...> wrote:
              > I run several OT-2/Nuvi's.
              > Whenever I send anything through my nuvi. I always delete the command or
              > message within about a minute of pressing send. Whether I get an ACK or not,
              > I delete it after about a minute. It's FiFO, so any stagnate message will
              > block any other new ones. Some times it will retry many times, it can get
              > stuck in endless retries. This happens in higher fw, like 55080.
              >
              > A good rule of thumb, delete all incoming and outgoing messages soon.
              > ,
              > Can you send a command to the T2-301? Try --Ver send.

              just got it to do that successfully, at for the longest time it didn't
              register what you were asking. now trying it again I can't get it to
              work. I can confirm that the nuvi and the t2 are talking to each
              other though. Tried to power cycle both the t2 and the nuvi - still
              no go. it did respond with the version number once though and from
              that the wiring I assume is good. part of the problem is also user
              error, knowing the expected syntax helps a lot.

              > If you don't get a reply from the T2-301, then you might need to go back to
              > an earlier version firmware. I'm not sure if t2's and ot-2's have simular
              > firmware dates, but on my OT-2's, I have found 55076 is very stable, and
              > both my Nuvi-350's and Nuvi-755T send and receive messages well with that
              > version. On some of the newer versions messaging is broken completely on my
              > nuvi-755t, and sporadic on the nuvi-350's.
              >
              > After looking at your raw data it looks like there may be a rogue digi that
              > is not inserting it's call correctly. I know the network is weird down there
              > from my own past travels. It appears you are running a courteous single hop
              > path of WIDE2-1. I recommend you continue with a courteous single hop path,
              > but switch it to WIDE1-1.
              >
              > If you listen to the network you will notice that it is overloaded,
              > continuous packets slamming into each other. If you check the "compress" box
              > in your otconfig, you will track better. This will cut your potential for
              > collisions in half.
              >
              > Good luck,
              > Alan
              >
              > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I got my t2-301 integrated and have been having fun with it. (look at
              >> aprs.fi for af6ep-1) I am having trouble though using the attached
              >> nuvi350
              >> to send messages. I compose a message and select send and now I have 2
              >> messages sitting in the outbound que of the nuvi that have sat there
              >> unsent
              >> for 2 days. what might I be doing wrong? how are aprs messages sent and
              >> recieved?
              >>
              >> Eric
              >> AF6EP

            • Rob
              Message 6 of 16 , May 4 2:33 AM
                On 04/05/12 12:16, Eric Fort wrote:

                ok, so yahoo has a page that says this group exists and apparently
                hosts the listserv that runs it. I still see no means of getting to
                any files. yes there's a some text along the left margin that lists,
                posts, files, photos, links, etc. but none are clickable nor do any
                act as links. no web access is required to join this group, when I
                joined I simply sent a subscribe request to the listserv subscribe
                address and the mailing list software at yahoo added me to the list.

                You need to join the yahoo group and sign in to use the extra options in the left margin (files, photos etc), otherwise you are more-or-less like a guest.

                The "JOIN THIS GROUP!" link should be on the 'Home' page of the Tracker2 group.

                --
                Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN
                Message 7 of 16 , May 4 6:03 PM
                I believe this is the latest. I'm going to try to spend some time in
                the office this weekend working on updates.

                Scott

                Message 8 of 16 , May 4 6:41 PM
                  Eric,

                  If you're still having trouble with the latest firmware, you might have
                  to clear all of the user data on the nuvi (you need to hold down a
                  corner of the screen while turning the nuvi on) to reset it. I've seen
                  some of them get their message queue corrupted such that the tracker
                  can't poll them for pending messages.

                  Scott

                  On 5/1/2012 10:18 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
                  > I got my t2-301 integrated and have been having fun with it. (look at
                  > aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi> for af6ep-1) I am having trouble though using
                  > the attached nuvi350 to send messages. I compose a message and select
                  > send and now I have 2 messages sitting in the outbound que of the nuvi
                  > that have sat there unsent for 2 days. what might I be doing wrong?
                  > how are aprs messages sent and recieved?
                  >
                  > Eric
                  > AF6EP

                • Eric Fort
                  Message 9 of 16 , May 4 6:56 PM
                    can the user data be backed up from the nuvi? I have a few waypoints
                    stored that I'd rather not loose.

                    Eric

                    Message 10 of 16 , May 4 7:37 PM
                      I know some folks keep their waypoints on an SD card, but I don't think
                      you can move them there. At least, I haven't seen a way to do it.

                      I think you can download them to a PC and put them back, but it's been a
                      long time since I've messed with that.

                      If you were working with a T3 I'd send you the FMI debug version so you
                      could watch exactly what's going on and send me the log, but I don't
                      think it's possible to compile that into the T2.

                      Scott

                      On 5/4/2012 6:56 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
                      > can the user data be backed up from the nuvi? I have a few waypoints
                      > stored that I'd rather not loose.
                      >
                      > Eric
                      >
                      > On 5/4/12, Scott Miller <scott@...
                      > <mailto:scott%40opentrac.org>> wrote:
                      > > Eric,
                      > >
                      > > If you're still having trouble with the latest firmware, you might have
                      > > to clear all of the user data on the nuvi (you need to hold down a
                      > > corner of the screen while turning the nuvi on) to reset it. I've seen
                      > > some of them get their message queue corrupted such that the tracker
                      > > can't poll them for pending messages.
                      > >
                      > > Scott
                      > >
                      > > On 5/1/2012 10:18 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
                      > >> I got my t2-301 integrated and have been having fun with it. (look at
                      > >> aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi> for af6ep-1) I am having trouble though using
                      > >> the attached nuvi350 to send messages. I compose a message and select
                      > >> send and now I have 2 messages sitting in the outbound que of the nuvi
                      > >> that have sat there unsent for 2 days. what might I be doing wrong?
                      > >> how are aprs messages sent and recieved?
                      > >>
                      > >> Eric
                      > >> AF6EP

                    • seerdman
                      Message 11 of 16 , May 4 11:11 PM
                        One method - at least for waypoints - (and using Windows) is to plug the Nuvi into your PC, wait for any necessary drivers to be installed, then browse to the Nuvi in Explorer. The Nuvi appears as an external drive. Browse through the folders until you find the location of the gpx file or files. I just loaded a bunch of waypoints into a gpx file and copied it to the Nuvi for an upcoming trip.

                        73,
                        Steve
                        KF7MXS

                        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

                        > can the user data be backed up from the nuvi? I have a few waypoints
                        > stored that I'd rather not loose.
                        >
                        > Eric
                        >
                        > On 5/4/12, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                        > > Eric,
                        > >
                        > > If you're still having trouble with the latest firmware, you might have
                        > > to clear all of the user data on the nuvi (you need to hold down a
                        > > corner of the screen while turning the nuvi on) to reset it. I've seen
                        > > some of them get their message queue corrupted such that the tracker
                        > > can't poll them for pending messages.
                        > >
                        > > Scott
                        > >
                        > > On 5/1/2012 10:18 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
                        > >> I got my t2-301 integrated and have been having fun with it. (look at
                        > >> aprs.fi <http://aprs.fi> for af6ep-1) I am having trouble though using
                        > >> the attached nuvi350 to send messages. I compose a message and select
                        > >> send and now I have 2 messages sitting in the outbound que of the nuvi
                        > >> that have sat there unsent for 2 days. what might I be doing wrong?
                        > >> how are aprs messages sent and recieved?
                        > >>
                        > >> Eric
                        > >> AF6EP

                      • Marcel S
                        Message 12 of 16 , May 5 8:15 PM
                          There's a nice page on the wiki that I updated recently that covers POI management on the Nuvi:
                          http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Garmin_Nuvi_350_POI_Management

                          -Marcel AI6MS