new to this stuff...

  • kb1wxd_andrew
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1 12:53 PM
      hey just got referred to this group for info about a good weather station setup, im looking at the AD ws1 with a tracker2 vhf data radio that they sell and im looking to interface either a slow scan tv camera to the system but i am unsure on how one does that. (read as have no idea hardware wise)
      other than that im rather new to aprs and the whole ham thing (at least beyond talking on the radio)
      so, any ideas?
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1 9:02 PM
        You don't have to have a Tracker2 (now replaced with the Tracker3) to
        use the ADS-WS1 - you can connect it directly to the radio. You can use
        the T3 if you want to also use it as a digipeater or general APRS
        station, though.

        The SSTVCAM could also be wired to the same radio, but right now we
        don't have any convenient way to link the two so that they don't
        transmit over top of each other. Unless you want to get tricky and
        maybe connect the SSTVCAM to the power control relay on the WS1, and set
        the power delay to just longer than the frame time. That way it would
        send an SSTV frame and a weather packet each cycle.

        Scott

        On 5/1/2012 12:53 PM, kb1wxd_andrew wrote:
        > hey just got referred to this group for info about a good weather
        > station setup, im looking at the AD ws1 with a tracker2 vhf data radio
        > that they sell and im looking to interface either a slow scan tv camera
        > to the system but i am unsure on how one does that. (read as have no
        > idea hardware wise)
        > other than that im rather new to aprs and the whole ham thing (at least
        > beyond talking on the radio)
        > so, any ideas?

      • Andrew Wawrzynowicz
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2 1:04 PM

          ok is there a better way to do a camera on the station (i.e. something like this) where it takes a picture and makes an image file that is static until it updates like say every 3-5 mins

          Message 4 of 16 , May 2 5:22 PM
            On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Andrew Wawrzynowicz
            <mechcondrid@...> wrote:

            > ok is there a better way to do a camera on the station (i.e. something
            > like this) where it takes a picture and makes an image file that is static
            > until it updates like say every 3-5 mins

            Are you planning on serving webpages on RF? You do know that you can't
            create a static image on RF that sits there for people to look at,
            right? If you save the image locally, remote users would need some
            manner of requesting the image be sent to them from your station.
            That's also not good for the channel having people requesting a long
            transmission when an automated one may have just finished, but they
            missed it due to not being tuned into the channel.

            It would probably be best to do this type of thing off of the 144.390
            channel as SSTV pictures can take a fair amount of airtime to deliver.
            You could send APRS weather packets and then an SSTV image out over
            the air on the dedicated frequency. Users tuning to the frequency
            would need to have a station capable of decoding and displaying APRS
            data, and also of decoding and displaying SSTV signals from the same
            source.

            A user wanting to see the weather at your station would need to tune
            to the frequency and wait for the next "weather report". Personally I
            would just look out the window and get an instant weather report, but
            then that's me, low tech and impatient. I'm not all that interested in
            a 2 degree temperature difference and a slightly different perspective
            on the clouds floating by from a station a mile or two away..

          • Andrew Wawrzynowicz
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3 2:56 PM
              no im not hosting a webpage or even a memory space

              i am working on a backend server that will grab the picture data that it
              transmits and stores it on the server for a webpage to grab or link to, im just trying to figure out how to direct the packet data to the server (and find a sstv camera that doesnt convert it to audio itself)

              and i was looking at the quick easy to transmit sstv modes i forget the name but its grayscale or b&w and takes 6-12 secs to transmit a frame and it would be doing this only at automatic intervals not upon request (say every 5 or so mins or longer if need be)
            • Matthew Cook

                Message 7 of 16 , May 4 7:24 AM
                  On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Andrew Wawrzynowicz
                  <mechcondrid@...> wrote:

                  > no im not hosting a webpage or even a memory space

                  Okay, where will the image be stored?

                  > i am working on a backend server that will grab the picture data that it
                  > transmits and stores it on the server for a webpage to grab or link to,

                  Aha, look a server and webpage...

                  > im just trying to figure out how to direct the packet data to the server

                  Well, it would be sent from the originating station over the air to a
                  receiving station, and that receiving station would be connected to
                  the server most likely via ethernet. This is identical to the i-gate
                  functionality.

                  > (and find a sstv camera that doesnt convert it to audio itself)

                  Well, by definition an SSTV camera should be a camera that creates an
                  SSTV signal (which would be audio to be applied to a radio, or which
                  includes the radio. The VC-H1 from Kenwood is an SSTV camera.) How
                  about just a plain old camera that captures images. That image would
                  need to be applied to the SSTV encoder which would create the audio to
                  be applied to a radio.

                  > and i was looking at the quick easy to transmit sstv modes i forget
                  > the name but its grayscale or b&w and takes 6-12 secs to transmit
                  > a frame and it would be doing this only at automatic intervals not
                  > upon request (say every 5 or so mins or longer if need be)

                  So the users on air would still need to be listening to the frequency
                  when the SSTV signal is sent with specific software or hardware that
                  can capture and decode the signal. Users connected to the internet
                  would be able to bring a webpage on a server that would retain an
                  archived image that would be available for viewing on demand.

                  If you were to create a program that combined APRS and SSTV into a
                  single application, and that application retained the SSTV images in
                  memory, then a user could pull up information for the station which
                  included a locally stored copy of the latest image from that station.

                  I don't know of any APRS applications that would store an SSTV image,
                  nor do I know of any SSTV programs that include APRS functionality.
                  They may be out there, anyone know of one? If not, then there's a
                  niche market for you!

                • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 4 7:42 AM
                    On 5/4/2012 10:24 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                    > I don't know of any APRS applications that would store an SSTV image,
                    > nor do I know of any SSTV programs that include APRS functionality.
                    > They may be out there, anyone know of one? If not, then there's a
                    > niche market for you!

                    Three letters: AVS: http://wa8lmf.net/bruninga/vision.html

                    I really want the specs to this as I'd love to incorporate it into
                    APRSISCE, the mobile version, to grab a picture from the camera, encoded
                    it and braap it over APRS where any other instance can capture it
                    realtime and a server-side instance can put all of them on a browsable
                    web page for historical reasons.

                    Picture the first responder capability of getting pictures out when the
                    cellular networks are still down.

                    But I think we're getting pretty far off the Tracker2 topic now...

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 4 8:50 AM
                      On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      <ldeffenb@...> wrote:
                      > On 5/4/2012 10:24 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                      >> I don't know of any APRS applications that would store an SSTV image,
                      >> nor do I know of any SSTV programs that include APRS functionality.
                      >> They may be out there, anyone know of one? If not, then there's a
                      >> niche market for you!
                      >
                      > Three letters: AVS: http://wa8lmf.net/bruninga/vision.html

                      That's not really an application, but rather a conceptualization of an
                      idea.It's also kind of an offshoot from SSTV as it uses a totally new
                      method of sending the images, using digitally encoded data transported
                      over APRS UI frames.

                      > I really want the specs to this as I'd love to incorporate it into
                      > APRSISCE, the mobile version, to grab a picture from the camera, encoded
                      > it and braap it over APRS where any other instance can capture it
                      > realtime and a server-side instance can put all of them on a browsable
                      > web page for historical reasons.

                      I figured you would be interested in this type of situation. AVS has
                      advantages over the SSTV concept because the AVS packets can be
                      relayed via a digipeater whereas the SSTV signals would be limited to
                      simplex range unless being bounced through an audio repeater.

                      > Picture the first responder capability of getting pictures out when the
                      > cellular networks are still down.

                      It has some interesting uses, but there are also many limitations.
                      That doesn't mean that one can't play with this type of stuff...
                      that's what amateur radio is all about.

                      It may sound like I'm working hard to try and keep this type of system
                      from being implemented. Far from that, I'm just playing Devil's
                      Advocate, and pointing out possible issues that can be stumbling
                      blocks. It's easier to bash ideas around and try and ensure that you
                      are headed down the right path before starting to put real world
                      things together, whether that's software or hardware.

                      > But I think we're getting pretty far off the Tracker2 topic now...

                      Yeah, but it's still fun... maybe Scott will make some special hardware.

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 4 9:49 AM
                        > Yeah, but it's still fun... maybe Scott will make some special hardware.

                        It's on my list. The cameras used by the SSTVCAM can capture JPEG
                        images. I was planning to try running those through the high-speed 433
                        MHz transceivers I've got. It's hard to beat SSTV for noise immunity,
                        though, particularly when you don't have the ability to request retries.

                        Scott
                      • Tom Hayward
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 4 9:51 AM
                          <mechcondrid@...> wrote:
                          > i am working on a backend server that will grab the picture data that it
                          > transmits and stores it on the server for a webpage to grab or link to, im
                          > just trying to figure out how to direct the packet data to the server (and
                          > find a sstv camera that doesnt convert it to audio itself)

                          How did you decide on SSTV? What is the distance and terrain between
                          the camera and server? If feasible, I would try to tackle this with
                          900 MHz WiFi. The difference in quality would be phenomenal, if you
                          can pull it off.

                          I'm a sucker for Ubiquiti products, so I'd probably attempt it with
                          this set of equipment:
                          http://www.ubnt.com/airvision
                          http://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/nanobridgem/nbm_ds_web.pdf

                          Apologies for being off-topic. I'd still use the Argent Data gear for
                          the weather station and reporting :-)

                          Tom KD7LXL
                        • Andrew Wawrzynowicz
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 4 12:46 PM

                            ok i just thought sstv was the best option in terms of over the air cameras

                            but if there's a way to just send a compressed jpeg via ax.25 then that would fit my purposes like a glove

                            and the closest igate isnt that faraway only a few miles from where im going to set up the station (less than 8 miles)

                            and as for wifi i wasnt aware that it was available in a 900mhz flavor my friend is the one who has the igate setup soi might be able to do that, whats the range on a 900mhz transmitter? say 5-10 watts?

                          • Tom Hayward
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 4 3:13 PM
                              On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Andrew Wawrzynowicz
                              <mechcondrid@...> wrote:
                              > and as for wifi i wasnt aware that it was available in a 900mhz flavor my
                              > friend is the one who has the igate setup soi might be able to do that,
                              > whats the range on a 900mhz transmitter? say 5-10 watts?

                              900 MHz range is going to depend on terrain. If you can see the igate
                              from your weather station location, it should work. If you can almost
                              see it, it might work. If there are significant obstructions between
                              them, it likely won't work.

                              To figure out what you're dealing with, I would model the propagation
                              path in software such as Radio Mobile. Here's a link to a Radio Mobile
                              tutorial:
                              http://www.pizon.org/radio-mobile-tutorial/index.html

                              If you send me coordinates and antenna heights for both locations, I
                              could do this pretty quickly for you. The setup and learning curve for
                              Radio Mobile is a bit steep.

                              Tom KD7LXL
                            • Tom Hayward
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 4 3:19 PM
                                On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Tom Hayward <tom@...> wrote:
                                > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Andrew Wawrzynowicz
                                > <mechcondrid@...> wrote:
                                >> and as for wifi i wasnt aware that it was available in a 900mhz flavor my
                                >> friend is the one who has the igate setup soi might be able to do that,
                                >> whats the range on a 900mhz transmitter? say 5-10 watts?
                                >
                                > 900 MHz range is going to depend on terrain. If you can see the igate
                                > from your weather station location, it should work. If you can almost
                                > see it, it might work. If there are significant obstructions between
                                > them, it likely won't work.

                                One more thing...

                                Another ethernet option is two Icom ID-1 rigs for a 128 Kbps 1.2 GHz
                                link, but that will be expensive.

                                If you find you need to stick with VHF for propagation, I really like
                                the sound of the JPEG over UI frame idea, assuming you can get it
                                working with Argent gear.

                                Tom KD7LXL
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 4 3:27 PM
                                  <mechcondrid@...> wrote:

                                  > ok i just thought sstv was the best option in terms of over the air
                                  > cameras

                                  SSTV works, you might want to read up on it and what it is, then try
                                  playing with it to see if it really fits what you want to do.

                                  > but if there's a way to just send a compressed jpeg via ax.25 then that
                                  > would fit my purposes like a glove

                                  Only if you are willing to send extremely low resolution images...
                                  there's not a lot of bandwidth available. If you read up on Bob's
                                  concept, it was talking about 4 minutes to send an image, and that's
                                  128X256 resolution, and via simplex, no digipeaters.

                                  > and the closest igate isnt that faraway only a few miles from where im
                                  > going to set up the station (less than 8 miles)
                                  >
                                  > and as for wifi i wasnt aware that it was available in a 900mhz flavor my
                                  > friend is the one who has the igate setup soi might be able to do that,
                                  > whats the range on a 900mhz transmitter? say 5-10 watts?

                                  Hundreds of thousands of miles given a clean line of sight and big
                                  enough antennas...

                                  What's your end use? There are people doing something similar where
                                  they have a weather station at a hang gliding site, and also have a
                                  camera set up so that they can also have a look see to see if what the
                                  weather station is telling them jibes with what they see.

                                • Ramon Gandia
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 5 11:51 AM
                                    > >> whats the range on a 900mhz transmitter? say 5-10 watts?
                                    > >
                                    > > 900 MHz range is going to depend on terrain. If you can see the igate
                                    > > from your weather station location ...

                                    Back when I was a rural ISP here in Nome, Alaska, I got a *lot*
                                    of experience using 900 mHz.

                                    The equipment was from FreeWave. The little box had serial port
                                    and about half a watt on unlicensed 900 mHz. Could use the built
                                    in 3 inch whip, or an external antenna. Spread spectrum. Their new
                                    stuff also has ethernet.

                                    As hams, we can use the stuff with power amps as we are allowed 1.5 kw
                                    on the band ...

                                    Anyway, I had no problem connecting 20 to 30 miles on rolling hills.
                                    It is best line of sight, but if the terrain is not too obstructed,
                                    it will work fine.

                                    I had a link from Skookum to Nome, about 50 miles, with 10 db yagis
                                    at each end. It was very important to get the antennas up HIGH
                                    off the ground. Dramatic difference between 20 ft and 50 ft.

                                    Another 50 mile link used a vertical at the mountain, and a 24 db
                                    parabolic here in Nome.

                                    Neither one of those links was quite line of sight. With a 60X
                                    spotting scope we could make out the Nome environments from the
                                    mountain, but then a hill obscured the view. Regardless, it worked,
                                    and worked very, very well.

                                    In any case, the freewaves can be configured as end station, repeater
                                    or one-to-many. Very flexible.

                                    I have a lot of respect for FreeWave, 900 mHz and Spread Spectrum!