T2-135 layout

  • Christopher Snell
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2012
      I'm curious if anybody has incorporated a T2- or T3-135 into something other than the Alinco radio.

      I found a platform for my mini-iGate tonight: the BeagleBone board.  It's small, cheap, runs Linux, and it can accomodate "capes" (Beagle's version of an Arduino shield).   My original thought was to put together a quick cape consisting of a MAX232 and an OT1+ SMT but after reading list archives, it sounds like the OT1+ has inferior packet decoding when compared to the Tracker2's.

      If the T2-135 is small enough to fit on the cape footprint--and if I could get an Eagle layout for it--it could be a good choice for a digipeater/TNC backpack for the BeagleBone.  Imagine a Tracker2 + Linux combo that could fit in the palm of your hand!

      I could just break out a DB-9 from the BeagleBone and connect a regular Tracker2 but what fun is that?  :)

      Scott, do you have a basic Eagle mechanical layout (with pinout) of the T2-135 available for public consumption?

      Chris NW5W

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1 8:04 PM
        > Scott, do you have a basic Eagle mechanical layout (with pinout) of the
        > T2-135 available for public consumption?

        Reading email out of order again.

        I can send you the Eagle files. There's also the T2-Mini, of which only
        a few prototypes were built, but it's a nice compact layout with an
        MX614. It's about 1.4x1.9". It's kind of a shame that it never saw use
        (it was designed for a military project that never went beyond the
        prototype stage) because it's one of those rare board layouts that went
        together really cleanly. It's actually a T2b, based on the MC9S08AW60
        MCU (newer, faster, and lower power than the MC908AP64 in the T2) so
        there's a separate firmware build for it. That compilation target isn't
        currently being maintained, though, and would take a little bit of work
        to get caught up.

        But really, the T3 is your best bet for a new design.

        Scott
      • Eric Fort
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 9:05 PM
          The bone would be a good platform for this but I'd be much more inclined to integrate a t2-301 (or t3-301) with it. For the cost you get the radio as well and it's frequency agile over the radio interface. The T2-135 still needs a radio. another option could be doing cape based upon this arduino shield http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Radio_Shield and adding a radiometrix BiM1(H) radio module. that makes for a single cape radio and all that would tuck nicely under an lcd touch screen.

          just a few thoughts. (I'm working on both of the above)

          Eric

          On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Christopher Snell
          <chris.snell@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I'm curious if anybody has incorporated a T2- or T3-135 into something other than the Alinco radio.
          >
          > I found a platform for my mini-iGate tonight: the BeagleBone board. It's small, cheap, runs Linux, and it can accomodate "capes" (Beagle's version of an Arduino shield). My original thought was to put together a quick cape consisting of a MAX232 and an OT1+ SMT but after reading list archives, it sounds like the OT1+ has inferior packet decoding when compared to the Tracker2's.
          >
          > If the T2-135 is small enough to fit on the cape footprint--and if I could get an Eagle layout for it--it could be a good choice for a digipeater/TNC backpack for the BeagleBone. Imagine a Tracker2 + Linux combo that could fit in the palm of your hand!
          >
          > I could just break out a DB-9 from the BeagleBone and connect a regular Tracker2 but what fun is that? :)
          >
          > Scott, do you have a basic Eagle mechanical layout (with pinout) of the T2-135 available for public consumption?
          >
          > Chris NW5W
        • Fred Hillhouse
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2 6:45 AM
            Hmm, this would be very interesting in a T3-Mini!

            Best regards,
            Fred, N7FMH

            Message 5 of 6 , May 2 1:04 PM
              While I have a T2-301 on my truck and I generally like it, I've not been super impressed with the performance of the little Friendcom radio.  I've made a lot of tweaks to the TX power setting but it still doesn't perform as well as my Yaesu VX-8R or my Alinco  DR-135T with a T2 attached.   It's not horrible but not what I want out of a radio for this project.

              What I'm trying to build is a small solar-powered Linux-based iGate/digipeater package that doesn't waste a lot of power on the TNC or computer (saving power for the radio).  I'm not married to the BeagleBone's cape footprint for a TNC but if I could find a low-power but highly capable TNC with excellent decoding abilities that *also* fits within that footprint, well, that would be sweet.

              The T2-mini sounds great.   I'd love a T3 in a small package but this project is just for fun and I don't have the time to put into Eagle right now.   I'd love to buy a few if anyone makes one, though.  ;-)

              Chris

              <chris.snell@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I'm curious if anybody has incorporated a T2- or T3-135 into something other than the Alinco radio.
              >
              > I found a platform for my mini-iGate tonight: the BeagleBone board.  It's small, cheap, runs Linux, and it can accomodate "capes" (Beagle's version of an Arduino shield).   My original thought was to put together a quick cape consisting of a MAX232 and an OT1+ SMT but after reading list archives, it sounds like the OT1+ has inferior packet decoding when compared to the Tracker2's.
              >
              > If the T2-135 is small enough to fit on the cape footprint--and if I could get an Eagle layout for it--it could be a good choice for a digipeater/TNC backpack for the BeagleBone.  Imagine a Tracker2 + Linux combo that could fit in the palm of your hand!
              >
              > I could just break out a DB-9 from the BeagleBone and connect a regular Tracker2 but what fun is that?  :)
              >
              > Scott, do you have a basic Eagle mechanical layout (with pinout) of the T2-135 available for public consumption?
              >
              > Chris NW5W

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Matthew Cook
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2 4:49 PM
                Chris,

                I'm afraid that the lowest power, highest capability TNC on the market *is* the T2/T3 from Scott.  I've looked/played/experimented with *alot* of different units MFJ, Kamtronics, AEA and the T2/T3 have always come out way ahead.  Besides none of the others offers the support that we get here, nor are they willing to share their source code for us to fix problems we may find and submit patches :)

                In terms of a solar powered iGate it's the radios that are going to cause you the greatest grief.  The majority of ham rigs with decent front end receivers draw quiescent currents of between 200-600mA.  When you drop down into the land of HT's the quiescent current drops 20-100mA but the receiver front end performance drops away.  Go and put a HT up at a high site where it can hear everything and they generally fall over unless protected with mechanical bandpass filters.

                I've recently purchased the T2-301 and while the RX performance isn't brilliant compared to say a Kenwood D710 it is certainly equal if not better than the general run of the mill HT's.   The 8W amplifier some may consider a little light on, but into a good dipole stack with LDF450 up the mast you get quite reasonable performance, I've however given mine a boost with a separate 30W amplifier.  Having the adjustable 1-5W output from the Friendcom is a real blessing.  Remembering that for an iGate you have to be able to hear as well as you TX for it to be of any use as a Digi.

                Finding a USB 3G mobile broadband modem that doesn't draw 500mA@5V was a challange also.  By the time you get your power budget done you are always going to be up into the tens of watts.  Compared to the digi's I've built in the past this lower power unit based on the T2-301 is approx 1/5th the consumption which is excellent.

                Anyway once i've got my solar powered iGate/Digi a bit more advanced I'll throw it up on the blog and send the URL to the list.   We're launching alot of high altitude balloons (HAB) running APRS in very remote areas of South Australia, so my little box will certainly get a workout later this year.   Must get cracking on finishing it.

                I hope you enjoy the BeagleBone they are a great starting point for a solar powered iGate.

                73's

                Matthew
                VK5ZM