Help on settings Digi T2

  • redneckmike586@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22 2:24 PM
      Hello Group i have a question i been reading on aprs my question is i have my settings on the Digi's wide1-1,wide2-2 sound the setting be WIDEn-N ?

      My 2nd question is i have 2 Digi one not in a good spot yet And 1 Igate how do i send all traffic to my IGate instead of going threw other DIGI? i fell i dont have it set up correctly can anyone send me a cong file of theirs so i can compare to wd5mhz@...

      Thanks 73,s
      Mike Henry
      wd5mhz-1 Digi not much use
      wd5mhz-2 Digi on mountain
      wd5mhz IGate
      wd5mhz-7,-8,-9 Mobiles
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22 4:40 PM
        On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 3:24 PM, redneckmike586@...
        <kd5vxq@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group i have a question i been reading on aprs my question is i have my
        > settings on the Digi's wide1-1,wide2-2  sound the setting be WIDEn-N ?

        I'll attempt to translate your question into English... I'm guessing
        that you are attempting to say is that you have the outgoing path on
        your digi set to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2, and should the outgoing path be
        WIDEn-N.

        Digipeaters should NEVER run WIDE1-1 in their outgoing path. WIDE1-1
        should ONLY be used by low powered stations that need to get help from
        a home fill-in digipeater to be able to be heard by the main
        digipeaters. If you have a digipeater set up where it needs to get
        help from a home fill-in digipeater in order to be heard by the rest
        of the digipeater network, help your RF network out by shutting down
        the digipeater that is of no use to the network. Digipeaters need to
        be installed where they can hear a large area, and help out by
        capturing signals and repropagating them around the network.

        Should your digipeater use WIDEn-N as an outgoing path? If you mean
        literally WIDEn-N, No. Use an outgoing path of WIDE2-1 at most. That
        is effectively a 2 hop path since your digipeater IF installed
        properly is already covering a large area, and one hop out of the
        digipeater is equivalent to a mobile running a 2 hop path.

        > My 2nd question is i have 2 Digi one not in a good spot yet And 1 Igate how do i
        > send all traffic to my IGate instead of going threw other DIGI?

        You don't. There's no provision for directing traffic on the RF
        network. The packets are handled in accordance to the path set in the
        packet from the source. The purpose of the APRS RF network is to move
        traffic around the RF network, not to funnel packets to a specific
        i-gate. The RF network should deliver packets to other users on RF,
        with only a small fraction of those users being i-gates which then
        push the packets to the APRS-IS network.

        The closest you could do for making the packets from WD5MHZ-2 not go
        through other digipeaters would be to use a blank outgoing path. No
        digipeaters would handle the packets. Your i-gate would probably
        handle most of the packets since it is in simplex range, but other
        i-gates in simplex range would also possibly handle the packets.

        >  i fell i dont have it set up correctly can anyone send me a cong file of theirs so
        > i can compare  to wd5mhz@...

        There is no configuration that will set up the unit to direct packets
        in a specific direction.

        Have you looked to see where your WD5MHZ-2 digipeater can hear?

        http://aprs.fi/#!v=heard&call=a%2FWD5MHZ-2&timerange=3600

        It has a wonderful vantage point from up on that hill... There's no
        need to put another down lower where WD5MHZ-1 is located.

        GAYLOR listens down into the area very well as well... You're probably
        going to have to go quite a distance away to find a spot where adding
        another digipeater will HELP the network.

        We chased around this bush for a long time a few months ago...

        Did you set up the OT2 with at least one callsign in the authlist so
        that you can remotely administer the digipeater without having to
        drive to the site?

      • redneckmike586@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23 6:08 PM
          Hello sorry i posted this before i had seen the old post i will drive up there this weekend and change the wide part if i can get you to look at the rest of the cong file before i go up there to make sure no other changes need to be made

          Please Email me and i send you the config file i have

          Thanks
          Mike Henry
          wd5mhz@...