RE: [tracker2] Progress

  • Curt, WE7U
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
      On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 scott@... wrote:

      > Yeah, that's the idea. How old was the load on that laptop? I thought
      > everyone had mfc42.dll by now...

      It was W98 (non-se) directly off CD. Freshly loaded. Remember that
      I'm not a Windows weenie. Getting Linux on that laptop was my first
      priority. Of course it has that too. It's an old Cryix 200 laptop,
      so I don't want anything newer/bloatier on it windows-wise.

    • scott@opentrac.org
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 15, 2006
        I've got Peet Bros weather station support working on both serial ports -
        needs a little more work to keep from getting confused if it's getting both
        NMEA and Wx. Anyone got an Ultimeter 2000 series to hook up for testing?

        I'm trying to come up with a low part count, adjustable sensitivity logic
        level interface for the piezo motion sensor. Not really sure what the best
        approach to this is, since it needs to detect millivolt level signals, but
        if you thump the sensor it can generate tens of volts and blast a FET gate.

        Scott
      • Wes Johnston, AI4PX
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
          zeiner diode clamp?
          Wes

          On 10/15/06, scott@... <scott@...> wrote:

          I've got Peet Bros weather station support working on both serial ports -
          needs a little more work to keep from getting confused if it's getting both
          NMEA and Wx. Anyone got an Ultimeter 2000 series to hook up for testing?

          I'm trying to come up with a low part count, adjustable sensitivity logic
          level interface for the piezo motion sensor. Not really sure what the best
          approach to this is, since it needs to detect millivolt level signals, but
          if you thump the sensor it can generate tens of volts and blast a FET gate.

          Where there's silence, there is no Hope.
        • k0yg
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
            Hi Scott,

            I have a Peet Brothers 2000 that is up and running. It doesn't have
            the optional humidity sensor. All I need to do is plug it in to the T2.

            Mark

          • scott@opentrac.org
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
              Yeah, that was my first thought... I was hoping I could do it in fewer parts.  I've tested it with a JFET and haven't managed to destroy it yet, but I'm not sure if it's sensitive enough.  I need to solder together a test apparatus - my breadboard is too sensitive to motion even without the sensor plugged in.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
                Cool, I'll post an update this week.  The tricky part right now is getting the parsers to figure out what sort of data is coming in on each port, and to make sure the parser state machines don't get screwed up by data from the other port when there's not enough memory to allocate a state machine for each parser+port combination.

                The good news is that once I get it sorted out, you won't have to tell it what port the weather station, GPS receiver, or whatever is going to be hooked up to.  It'll just figure it out on its own.  I'm also going to try an autobaud algorithm, so with some luck you won't even need to tell it what baud rate to expect.