Re: [tracker2] T2-301

  • N4AOF
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
      -----Original Message-----
      From: James Ewen
      Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2012 02:13 AM
      To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [tracker2] T2-301

      On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM, N4AOF <N4AOF@...> wrote:

      >>> What data did you base this observation upon?
      >>
      >> Two data:
      >> 1) Not hearing the beacon digipeated
      >
      > As in audibly with the radio used to send the packets?

      Actually with both the transmitting radio and another radio on another
      antenna -- which can usually hear KY4KY -- not hearing the beacon echo from
      another digi isn't proof it didn't get there, but combined with neither
      beacon showing up at APRS-FI, it's a pretty safe bet.

      > I've been listening to packets for a long time, but I still can't decode
      > packets by ear.

      I certainly can't decode them by ear either, but as dead as the frequency
      usually is around here it usually isn't hard to recognize the single or
      double echo of a signal being digipeated from one or more local digis.

      > KY4KY-3 is not far away, but on the other side of a few hills.
      > It might be tough to get a signal to that station from your home.

      That whole ridge line parallel to US31W is why everything west of 31W is
      pretty much in a shadow. I had hoped that my 40' tower might give me enough
      height to get to one or another of the digis on the other side of the ridge.

      If the digi works properly but can't make it with 40' elevation at N 38 3.72
      W 85 53.63; then I've got access to another 40' tower just slightly farther
      north around N 38 5.31 W 95 52.93 that just might get a better line of
      sight between the hills.

      >> 2) Not finding either my mobile's locations or the my digi's location
      >> showing up on APRS.FI
      >
      > aprs.fi and all the rest of the systems attached to the APRS-IS only
      > show what is successfully gated to the APRS-IS stream. Packets can get
      > masked out by the anti-dupe filters, but this is not the case here
      > since there's no evidence of the packets at all.

      Agreed. And I know that any time my mobile makes it to KY4KY it will be
      gated, I've got to figure that its absence indicated my digi didn't make the
      trip to either KY4KY-3 or KF4ERV-4 which are my two best chances to get
      across the ridgeline.

      >> Not necessarily absolutely conclusive, but taken together they strongly
      >> suggest that the packets from my digi did not reach another digi.
      >
      > Possibly... what we do know is that these packets were NOT
      > successfully decoded by an i-gate that was properly connected to the
      > APRS-IS stream. It's easy to prove a positive, much less so to prove
      > a negative.

      Absolutely agreed. I might suspect that there was something wrong with the
      packets being transmitted by my T2-301, but all I know for sure is that its
      packets (both beacon & as a digi) are successfully decoded by my own
      TM-D710A (admittedly a close range with a clear LOS)
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 7, 2012
        On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM, N4AOF <N4AOF@...> wrote:

        > Agreed.  And I know that any time my mobile makes it to KY4KY it will be
        > gated, I've got to figure that its absence indicated my digi didn't make the
        > trip to either KY4KY-3 or KF4ERV-4 which are my two best chances to get
        > across the ridgeline.

        > Absolutely agreed.  I might suspect that there was something wrong with the
        > packets being transmitted by my T2-301, but all I know for sure is that its
        > packets (both beacon & as a digi) are successfully decoded by my own
        > TM-D710A (admittedly a close range with a clear LOS)

        The thing that you are ignoring is that not only were the packets from
        the T2-301 not decoded and gated, but the original packets from the
        D710 are also missing. There's not a lot of terrain between you and
        KF4ERV-4, so why wasn't it hearing anything from you?

        If the frequency is as dead as you suggest, and there's no reason for
        the i-gates in the area to be off-air, then there has to be another
        reason why your stations are not being heard.

      • N4AOF
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 7, 2012
          >> Agreed. And I know that any time my mobile makes it to KY4KY it will be
          >> gated, I've got to figure that its absence indicated my digi didn't make
          >> the
          >> trip to either KY4KY-3 or KF4ERV-4 which are my two best chances to get
          >> across the ridgeline.
          >> Absolutely agreed. I might suspect that there was something wrong with
          >> the
          >> packets being transmitted by my T2-301, but all I know for sure is that
          >> its
          >> packets (both beacon & as a digi) are successfully decoded by my own
          >> TM-D710A (admittedly a close range with a clear LOS)

          > The thing that you are ignoring is that not only were the packets from
          > the T2-301 not decoded and gated, but the original packets from the
          > D710 are also missing.

          That's no surprise from the location

          > There's not a lot of terrain between you and KF4ERV-4,
          > so why wasn't it hearing anything from you?

          I'd suggest you look at a TOPO map -- my home (and the usual locations of my
          mobile) are on and west of US31W. Immediately east of US31W is a high
          ridgeline which is blocks the line of sight

          > If the frequency is as dead as you suggest, and there's no reason for
          > the i-gates in the area to be off-air, then there has to be another
          > reason why your stations are not being heard.

          Terrain appears to be THE primary reason. My mobile is routinely heard (and
          gated) whenever I go east of the ridgeline. It is never heard by KF4ERV-4
          and rarely heard by KY4KY-3 while it is west of the ridgeline except if I
          leave the radio on while the car is parked where I work on weekends then
          SOME of the packets make it to KY4KY-3 -- apparently the line of sight from
          that parking lot to KY4KY-3 lines up with one of the gaps in the ridgeline.
          Driving to and from that location, the mobile very rarely makes it to
          KY4KY-3. KF4ERV-4 has a much lower antenna height so stations need to be
          significantly closer to reach it.

          The one potentially missing factor might be the condition of the coax going
          to the antenna on my 40' tower -- that coax has been up for over a decade
          and I'm certainly in no shape to try to climb the tower to check and replace
          it. I have tried connecting the T2-301 to another antenna but that other
          antenna is at only about 15' which is unlikely to clear the ridge line.

          Next week I think I'll switch the T2-301 over to its tracker profile and
          take it along on my trip through town on Tuesday. I expect that I'll find
          it hits KY4KY-3 as soon as I'm west of the ridgeline and KF4ERV-4 once I get
          closer to it. If so, that will confirm that the T2-301 is working fine and
          the difficulties are just due to the terrain.
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 9, 2012
            You should have troubleshooting instructions from me in a direct email.

            Thanks,

            Scott

            On 4/6/2012 6:55 AM, wilson.darcy@... wrote:
            > Ok, my thread has bounced around a bit...
            >
            > This particular case appears to have been operator error.
            >
            > My unit is DOA. No communication via rs232 or USB.

            > "Ron N9SZV" <n9szv@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > update, I used the OTWinCfg software:
            > > http://www.argentdata.com/support/otplus.html
            > >
            > > It to a bit for it to connect to my T3-135 TNC com port it kept
            > transmitting on and off and then the config page came up I had to add my
            > location..call...change A to 9600 and mode to Kiss clicked on write to
            > TNC. I then started Lynn's APRSIS32 program up and it started to work it
            > is Digi and sending all my beacons out!! Will keep running let every one
            > know if it stays working
            > >
            > > Ron N9SZV

          • Ron N9SZV
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
              Scott I was trying to write to the TNC to make a correction and all it would do is keep transmitting on and off but other wise it seems to be working if I do your mod will it corect that problem?

              Ron N9SZV

              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                Yes, that's exactly the problem that the mod is intended to fix.

                Scott

                On 4/10/2012 10:50 AM, Ron N9SZV wrote:
                > Scott I was trying to write to the TNC to make a correction and all it
                > would do is keep transmitting on and off but other wise it seems to be
                > working if I do your mod will it corect that problem?
                >
                > Ron N9SZV

                > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > You should have troubleshooting instructions from me in a direct email.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Scott
                > >
                > > On 4/6/2012 6:55 AM, wilson.darcy@... wrote:
                > > > Ok, my thread has bounced around a bit...
                > > >
                > > > This particular case appears to have been operator error.
                > > >
                > > > My unit is DOA. No communication via rs232 or USB.
                > > >
                > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                > > > transmitting on and off and then the config page came up I had to
                > add my
                > > > location..call...change A to 9600 and mode to Kiss clicked on write to
                > > > TNC. I then started Lynn's APRSIS32 program up and it started to
                > work it
                > > > is Digi and sending all my beacons out!! Will keep running let
                > every one
                > > > know if it stays working

              • Ron N9SZV
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                  Ok, Scott modification done!! That is a very small trace and tough one for an old man to get to the two trace's are very close to each other!! but it worked thank you!!