Re: [tracker2] T2-301

    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
      On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM, N4AOF <N4AOF@...> wrote:

      >> What data did you base this observation upon?
      >
      > Two data:
      > 1) Not hearing the beacon digipeated

      As in audibly with the radio used to send the packets? I've been
      listening to packets for a long time, but I still can't decode packets
      by ear. KY4KY-3 is not far away, but on the other side of a few hills.
      It might be tough to get a signal to that station from your home.

      > 2) Not finding either my mobile's locations or the my digi's location
      > showing up on APRS.FI

      aprs.fi and all the rest of the systems attached to the APRS-IS only
      show what is successfully gated to the APRS-IS stream. Packets can get
      masked out by the anti-dupe filters, but this is not the case here
      since there's no evidence of the packets at all.

      > Not necessarily absolutely conclusive, but taken together they strongly
      > suggest that the packets from my digi did not reach another digi.

      Possibly... what we do know is that these packets were NOT
      successfully decoded by an i-gate that was properly connected to the
      APRS-IS stream. It's easy to prove a positive, much less so to prove
      a negative.

      There are still a lot of variables in the works!

    • N4AOF
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 7, 2012
          On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM, N4AOF <N4AOF@...> wrote:

          > Agreed.  And I know that any time my mobile makes it to KY4KY it will be
          > gated, I've got to figure that its absence indicated my digi didn't make the
          > trip to either KY4KY-3 or KF4ERV-4 which are my two best chances to get
          > across the ridgeline.

          > Absolutely agreed.  I might suspect that there was something wrong with the
          > packets being transmitted by my T2-301, but all I know for sure is that its
          > packets (both beacon & as a digi) are successfully decoded by my own
          > TM-D710A (admittedly a close range with a clear LOS)

          The thing that you are ignoring is that not only were the packets from
          the T2-301 not decoded and gated, but the original packets from the
          D710 are also missing. There's not a lot of terrain between you and
          KF4ERV-4, so why wasn't it hearing anything from you?

          If the frequency is as dead as you suggest, and there's no reason for
          the i-gates in the area to be off-air, then there has to be another
          reason why your stations are not being heard.

        • N4AOF
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 7, 2012
            >> Agreed. And I know that any time my mobile makes it to KY4KY it will be
            >> gated, I've got to figure that its absence indicated my digi didn't make
            >> the
            >> trip to either KY4KY-3 or KF4ERV-4 which are my two best chances to get
            >> across the ridgeline.
            >> Absolutely agreed. I might suspect that there was something wrong with
            >> the
            >> packets being transmitted by my T2-301, but all I know for sure is that
            >> its
            >> packets (both beacon & as a digi) are successfully decoded by my own
            >> TM-D710A (admittedly a close range with a clear LOS)

            > The thing that you are ignoring is that not only were the packets from
            > the T2-301 not decoded and gated, but the original packets from the
            > D710 are also missing.

            That's no surprise from the location

            > There's not a lot of terrain between you and KF4ERV-4,
            > so why wasn't it hearing anything from you?

            I'd suggest you look at a TOPO map -- my home (and the usual locations of my
            mobile) are on and west of US31W. Immediately east of US31W is a high
            ridgeline which is blocks the line of sight

            > If the frequency is as dead as you suggest, and there's no reason for
            > the i-gates in the area to be off-air, then there has to be another
            > reason why your stations are not being heard.

            Terrain appears to be THE primary reason. My mobile is routinely heard (and
            gated) whenever I go east of the ridgeline. It is never heard by KF4ERV-4
            and rarely heard by KY4KY-3 while it is west of the ridgeline except if I
            leave the radio on while the car is parked where I work on weekends then
            SOME of the packets make it to KY4KY-3 -- apparently the line of sight from
            that parking lot to KY4KY-3 lines up with one of the gaps in the ridgeline.
            Driving to and from that location, the mobile very rarely makes it to
            KY4KY-3. KF4ERV-4 has a much lower antenna height so stations need to be
            significantly closer to reach it.

            The one potentially missing factor might be the condition of the coax going
            to the antenna on my 40' tower -- that coax has been up for over a decade
            and I'm certainly in no shape to try to climb the tower to check and replace
            it. I have tried connecting the T2-301 to another antenna but that other
            antenna is at only about 15' which is unlikely to clear the ridge line.

            Next week I think I'll switch the T2-301 over to its tracker profile and
            take it along on my trip through town on Tuesday. I expect that I'll find
            it hits KY4KY-3 as soon as I'm west of the ridgeline and KF4ERV-4 once I get
            closer to it. If so, that will confirm that the T2-301 is working fine and
            the difficulties are just due to the terrain.
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 9, 2012
              You should have troubleshooting instructions from me in a direct email.

              Thanks,

              Scott

              On 4/6/2012 6:55 AM, wilson.darcy@... wrote:
              > Ok, my thread has bounced around a bit...
              >
              > This particular case appears to have been operator error.
              >
              > My unit is DOA. No communication via rs232 or USB.

              > "Ron N9SZV" <n9szv@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > update, I used the OTWinCfg software:
              > > http://www.argentdata.com/support/otplus.html
              > >
              > > It to a bit for it to connect to my T3-135 TNC com port it kept
              > transmitting on and off and then the config page came up I had to add my
              > location..call...change A to 9600 and mode to Kiss clicked on write to
              > TNC. I then started Lynn's APRSIS32 program up and it started to work it
              > is Digi and sending all my beacons out!! Will keep running let every one
              > know if it stays working
              > >
              > > Ron N9SZV

            • Ron N9SZV
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                Scott I was trying to write to the TNC to make a correction and all it would do is keep transmitting on and off but other wise it seems to be working if I do your mod will it corect that problem?

                Ron N9SZV

                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                  Yes, that's exactly the problem that the mod is intended to fix.

                  Scott

                  On 4/10/2012 10:50 AM, Ron N9SZV wrote:
                  > Scott I was trying to write to the TNC to make a correction and all it
                  > would do is keep transmitting on and off but other wise it seems to be
                  > working if I do your mod will it corect that problem?
                  >
                  > Ron N9SZV

                  > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > You should have troubleshooting instructions from me in a direct email.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Scott
                  > >
                  > > On 4/6/2012 6:55 AM, wilson.darcy@... wrote:
                  > > > Ok, my thread has bounced around a bit...
                  > > >
                  > > > This particular case appears to have been operator error.
                  > > >
                  > > > My unit is DOA. No communication via rs232 or USB.
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                  > > > transmitting on and off and then the config page came up I had to
                  > add my
                  > > > location..call...change A to 9600 and mode to Kiss clicked on write to
                  > > > TNC. I then started Lynn's APRSIS32 program up and it started to
                  > work it
                  > > > is Digi and sending all my beacons out!! Will keep running let
                  > every one
                  > > > know if it stays working

                • Ron N9SZV
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                    Ok, Scott modification done!! That is a very small trace and tough one for an old man to get to the two trace's are very close to each other!! but it worked thank you!!