Re: [tracker2] Re: T3-135 Alinco Board not responding

    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 38 KB
    Sure, let's see if it comes through as an attachment...

    Scott

  • Ron N9SZV
    Message 2 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
      good shot when you cut the trace will you have to reload the firmware?
      or do any thing else?

      Ron N9SZV

      Message 3 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
        No, if the firmware load failed it'll need to be fixed here but
        otherwise it should be fine.

        Scott

      • N4AOF
        Message 4 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
          The new USB-Serial adapter arrived today -- and that gave me about 80%
          success.

          The configuration program now talks to the T2-301 -- except that writes fail
          about 10% of the time, but attempting the same write again usually works.

          I've been tinkering with the settings trying to get it to work consistently.
          With default settings plus my call and a fixed position, it still wasn't
          beaconing -- then it started working (I'm not quite sure what fixed it). I
          did a lap around the block in my car and the T2-301 digipeated the cars
          position beacons (which also showed up in my terminal program connected to
          the T2-301). The D710A in my car heard its beacons digipeated and once it
          heard the N4AOF-1 beacon. Unfortunately none of the packets transmitted by
          the T2-301 made it to either of the next digis out.

          I'm still trying to get it all working, but at least we're making progress.

          Message 5 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
            Try the 'disable turbo' option if you haven't already to see if that
            fixes the write error problem.

            Scott

            Message 6 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
              On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM, N4AOF <N4AOF@...> wrote:

              > Unfortunately none of the packets transmitted by
              > the T2-301 made it to either of the next digis out.

              What data did you base this observation upon?

            • N4AOF
              Message 7 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                I've been using Disable Turbo all along

                Message 8 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                  >> Unfortunately none of the packets transmitted by
                  >> the T2-301 made it to either of the next digis out.
                  >
                  > What data did you base this observation upon?

                  Two data:
                  1) Not hearing the beacon digipeated
                  and
                  2) Not finding either my mobile's locations or the my digi's location
                  showing up on APRS.FI

                  Not necessarily absolutely conclusive, but taken together they strongly
                  suggest that the packets from my digi did not reach another digi.
                  Message 9 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                    On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM, N4AOF <N4AOF@...> wrote:

                    >> What data did you base this observation upon?
                    >
                    > Two data:
                    > 1) Not hearing the beacon digipeated

                    As in audibly with the radio used to send the packets? I've been
                    listening to packets for a long time, but I still can't decode packets
                    by ear. KY4KY-3 is not far away, but on the other side of a few hills.
                    It might be tough to get a signal to that station from your home.

                    > 2) Not finding either my mobile's locations or the my digi's location
                    > showing up on APRS.FI

                    aprs.fi and all the rest of the systems attached to the APRS-IS only
                    show what is successfully gated to the APRS-IS stream. Packets can get
                    masked out by the anti-dupe filters, but this is not the case here
                    since there's no evidence of the packets at all.

                    > Not necessarily absolutely conclusive, but taken together they strongly
                    > suggest that the packets from my digi did not reach another digi.

                    Possibly... what we do know is that these packets were NOT
                    successfully decoded by an i-gate that was properly connected to the
                    APRS-IS stream. It's easy to prove a positive, much less so to prove
                    a negative.

                    There are still a lot of variables in the works!

                  • N4AOF
                    Message 10 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                      Message 11 of 30 , Apr 7, 2012
                        On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM, N4AOF <N4AOF@...> wrote:

                        > Agreed.  And I know that any time my mobile makes it to KY4KY it will be
                        > gated, I've got to figure that its absence indicated my digi didn't make the
                        > trip to either KY4KY-3 or KF4ERV-4 which are my two best chances to get
                        > across the ridgeline.

                        > Absolutely agreed.  I might suspect that there was something wrong with the
                        > packets being transmitted by my T2-301, but all I know for sure is that its
                        > packets (both beacon & as a digi) are successfully decoded by my own
                        > TM-D710A (admittedly a close range with a clear LOS)

                        The thing that you are ignoring is that not only were the packets from
                        the T2-301 not decoded and gated, but the original packets from the
                        D710 are also missing. There's not a lot of terrain between you and
                        KF4ERV-4, so why wasn't it hearing anything from you?

                        If the frequency is as dead as you suggest, and there's no reason for
                        the i-gates in the area to be off-air, then there has to be another
                        reason why your stations are not being heard.

                      • N4AOF
                        Message 12 of 30 , Apr 7, 2012
                          >> Agreed. And I know that any time my mobile makes it to KY4KY it will be
                          >> gated, I've got to figure that its absence indicated my digi didn't make
                          >> the
                          >> trip to either KY4KY-3 or KF4ERV-4 which are my two best chances to get
                          >> across the ridgeline.
                          >> Absolutely agreed. I might suspect that there was something wrong with
                          >> the
                          >> packets being transmitted by my T2-301, but all I know for sure is that
                          >> its
                          >> packets (both beacon & as a digi) are successfully decoded by my own
                          >> TM-D710A (admittedly a close range with a clear LOS)

                          > The thing that you are ignoring is that not only were the packets from
                          > the T2-301 not decoded and gated, but the original packets from the
                          > D710 are also missing.

                          That's no surprise from the location

                          > There's not a lot of terrain between you and KF4ERV-4,
                          > so why wasn't it hearing anything from you?

                          I'd suggest you look at a TOPO map -- my home (and the usual locations of my
                          mobile) are on and west of US31W. Immediately east of US31W is a high
                          ridgeline which is blocks the line of sight

                          > If the frequency is as dead as you suggest, and there's no reason for
                          > the i-gates in the area to be off-air, then there has to be another
                          > reason why your stations are not being heard.

                          Terrain appears to be THE primary reason. My mobile is routinely heard (and
                          gated) whenever I go east of the ridgeline. It is never heard by KF4ERV-4
                          and rarely heard by KY4KY-3 while it is west of the ridgeline except if I
                          leave the radio on while the car is parked where I work on weekends then
                          SOME of the packets make it to KY4KY-3 -- apparently the line of sight from
                          that parking lot to KY4KY-3 lines up with one of the gaps in the ridgeline.
                          Driving to and from that location, the mobile very rarely makes it to
                          KY4KY-3. KF4ERV-4 has a much lower antenna height so stations need to be
                          significantly closer to reach it.

                          The one potentially missing factor might be the condition of the coax going
                          to the antenna on my 40' tower -- that coax has been up for over a decade
                          and I'm certainly in no shape to try to climb the tower to check and replace
                          it. I have tried connecting the T2-301 to another antenna but that other
                          antenna is at only about 15' which is unlikely to clear the ridge line.

                          Next week I think I'll switch the T2-301 over to its tracker profile and
                          take it along on my trip through town on Tuesday. I expect that I'll find
                          it hits KY4KY-3 as soon as I'm west of the ridgeline and KF4ERV-4 once I get
                          closer to it. If so, that will confirm that the T2-301 is working fine and
                          the difficulties are just due to the terrain.
                          Message 13 of 30 , Apr 9, 2012
                            You should have troubleshooting instructions from me in a direct email.

                            Thanks,

                            Scott

                            On 4/6/2012 6:55 AM, wilson.darcy@... wrote:
                            > Ok, my thread has bounced around a bit...
                            >
                            > This particular case appears to have been operator error.
                            >
                            > My unit is DOA. No communication via rs232 or USB.

                            > "Ron N9SZV" <n9szv@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > update, I used the OTWinCfg software:
                            > > http://www.argentdata.com/support/otplus.html
                            > >
                            > > It to a bit for it to connect to my T3-135 TNC com port it kept
                            > transmitting on and off and then the config page came up I had to add my
                            > location..call...change A to 9600 and mode to Kiss clicked on write to
                            > TNC. I then started Lynn's APRSIS32 program up and it started to work it
                            > is Digi and sending all my beacons out!! Will keep running let every one
                            > know if it stays working
                            > >
                            > > Ron N9SZV

                          • Ron N9SZV
                            Message 14 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                              Scott I was trying to write to the TNC to make a correction and all it would do is keep transmitting on and off but other wise it seems to be working if I do your mod will it corect that problem?

                              Ron N9SZV

                              Message 15 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                                Yes, that's exactly the problem that the mod is intended to fix.

                                Scott

                                On 4/10/2012 10:50 AM, Ron N9SZV wrote:
                                > Scott I was trying to write to the TNC to make a correction and all it
                                > would do is keep transmitting on and off but other wise it seems to be
                                > working if I do your mod will it corect that problem?
                                >
                                > Ron N9SZV

                                > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > You should have troubleshooting instructions from me in a direct email.
                                > >
                                > > Thanks,
                                > >
                                > > Scott
                                > >
                                > > On 4/6/2012 6:55 AM, wilson.darcy@... wrote:
                                > > > Ok, my thread has bounced around a bit...
                                > > >
                                > > > This particular case appears to have been operator error.
                                > > >
                                > > > My unit is DOA. No communication via rs232 or USB.
                                > > >
                                > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                                > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                                > > > transmitting on and off and then the config page came up I had to
                                > add my
                                > > > location..call...change A to 9600 and mode to Kiss clicked on write to
                                > > > TNC. I then started Lynn's APRSIS32 program up and it started to
                                > work it
                                > > > is Digi and sending all my beacons out!! Will keep running let
                                > every one
                                > > > know if it stays working

                              • Ron N9SZV
                                Message 16 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                                  Ok, Scott modification done!! That is a very small trace and tough one for an old man to get to the two trace's are very close to each other!! but it worked thank you!!