Re: [tracker2] Board not responding

    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 5, 2012
      > It worries me too. Everything I have seen/heard tells me that your
      > Tracker series products work great, when they work, but it does seem
      > that quite a few people are having a lot of problems getting the
      > configuration software to talk to the device.

      Keep in mind that failure to connect to otwincfg will be the first
      symptom of a very large number of possible problems, including a failed
      tracker, bad serial port, flaky USB-serial adapter, bad cable, incorrect
      cable, software problems relating to serial port usage, bad power
      supply, etc.

      USB support on the newer devices adds the complexity of dealing with an
      INF file (for Windows anyway) but it does reduce the possibility of
      other errors. That's why I'm baffled that the T3-135s are reported as
      having problems even on USB - if they enumerate successfully (the
      computer beeps when you plug it in) 90% of those problems are ruled out.

      > Once it came back I have had it powered up and connected to an antenna
      > atop my tower. Although it certainly hears APRS packets, it never seems
      > to transmit. The power LED is lit, and the Rx/TX LED lights green (Rx)

      My suggestion would be to focus first on getting it to connect to your
      PC. That will greatly simplify troubleshooting. We know it works with
      a standard serial+power cable. Your USB adapter and null modem
      adapter/cable are the first places to check.

      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 5, 2012
        We've had 2 or 3 reports of T3-135s being DOA. I'm hoping to have one
        back tomorrow and I'll report what I find then. They all tested OK
        before shipping.

        Scott

        On 4/2/2012 5:41 PM, wilson.darcy@... wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Received the order with a number or items including the T3-135, which I
        > assume is just a newer revision of the same board?
        >
        > I've installed it, and put the radio in digital mode. No communication
        > via either serial port or USB. USB doesn't even get recognized, as if
        > there is no power.
        >
        > Did a radio reset, and reseated the connectors...no change. My luck with
        > Argent products has not been good the last number of orders. Maybe I'm
        > missing something???

      • Ron N9SZV
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 5, 2012
          update, I used the OTWinCfg software:
          http://www.argentdata.com/support/otplus.html

          It to a bit for it to connect to my T3-135 TNC com port it kept transmitting on and off and then the config page came up I had to add my location..call...change A to 9600 and mode to Kiss clicked on write to TNC. I then started Lynn's APRSIS32 program up and it started to work it is Digi and sending all my beacons out!! Will keep running let every one know if it stays working

          Ron N9SZV
        • wilson.darcy@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
            Ok, my thread has bounced around a bit...

            This particular case appears to have been operator error.

            My unit is DOA. No communication via rs232 or USB.

            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
              Ok, got the first return back today and I think I have an answer.

              The returned unit had a blank firmware block that was causing the
              constant malfunction, but that's a symptom, not the root cause.

              It looks like the real problem is that in adapting the T3 to the 135
              board layout the transmit-now input got assigned to the wrong pin on the
              connector. When you plug a serial cable in, it can cause erratic
              operation. It seems likely that in this case it caused a failure during
              the firmware update attempt.

              So why wasn't this caught in testing? We've got one Alinco DR-135T
              that's permanently at the test bench for testing and development
              purposes, and it's been plugged and unplugged so many times that one
              wire on the connector failed. It looks like the failed cable kept the
              problem from popping up here.

              The quick fix is to cut the trace that leads from pin 2 of U3. On the
              top side of the board, this trace ends in a via near U1.

              The next board rev will correct the pin assignment, and I'm planning to
              put a solder jumper inline to make sure it's unconnected by default.
              The input is only needed if you want to wire up an external transmit-now
              (or counter) switch and it should be protected from accidental exposure
              to RS-232 voltage levels.

              If you have a T3-135 and don't want to cut the trace yourself, contact
              me off-list for an RMA and we'll send a return shipping label if you're
              in the US.

              Scott

              On 4/6/2012 6:55 AM, wilson.darcy@... wrote:
              > Ok, my thread has bounced around a bit...
              >
              > This particular case appears to have been operator error.
              >
              > My unit is DOA. No communication via rs232 or USB.

              > "Ron N9SZV" <n9szv@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > update, I used the OTWinCfg software:
              > > http://www.argentdata.com/support/otplus.html
              > >
              > > It to a bit for it to connect to my T3-135 TNC com port it kept
              > transmitting on and off and then the config page came up I had to add my
              > location..call...change A to 9600 and mode to Kiss clicked on write to
              > TNC. I then started Lynn's APRSIS32 program up and it started to work it
              > is Digi and sending all my beacons out!! Will keep running let every one
              > know if it stays working
              > >
              > > Ron N9SZV

            • Ron N9SZV
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                Mine seems to still be working ...but is there any way you can post a photo of where the trace is and where to cut it?

                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                • 1 Attachment
                • 38 KB
                Sure, let's see if it comes through as an attachment...

                Scott

              • Ron N9SZV
                Message 8 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                  good shot when you cut the trace will you have to reload the firmware?
                  or do any thing else?

                  Ron N9SZV

                  Message 9 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                    No, if the firmware load failed it'll need to be fixed here but
                    otherwise it should be fine.

                    Scott

                  • N4AOF
                    Message 10 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                      The new USB-Serial adapter arrived today -- and that gave me about 80%
                      success.

                      The configuration program now talks to the T2-301 -- except that writes fail
                      about 10% of the time, but attempting the same write again usually works.

                      I've been tinkering with the settings trying to get it to work consistently.
                      With default settings plus my call and a fixed position, it still wasn't
                      beaconing -- then it started working (I'm not quite sure what fixed it). I
                      did a lap around the block in my car and the T2-301 digipeated the cars
                      position beacons (which also showed up in my terminal program connected to
                      the T2-301). The D710A in my car heard its beacons digipeated and once it
                      heard the N4AOF-1 beacon. Unfortunately none of the packets transmitted by
                      the T2-301 made it to either of the next digis out.

                      I'm still trying to get it all working, but at least we're making progress.

                      Message 11 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                        Try the 'disable turbo' option if you haven't already to see if that
                        fixes the write error problem.

                        Scott

                        Message 12 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                          On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM, N4AOF <N4AOF@...> wrote:

                          > Unfortunately none of the packets transmitted by
                          > the T2-301 made it to either of the next digis out.

                          What data did you base this observation upon?

                        • N4AOF
                          Message 13 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                            I've been using Disable Turbo all along

                            Message 14 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                              >> Unfortunately none of the packets transmitted by
                              >> the T2-301 made it to either of the next digis out.
                              >
                              > What data did you base this observation upon?

                              Two data:
                              1) Not hearing the beacon digipeated
                              and
                              2) Not finding either my mobile's locations or the my digi's location
                              showing up on APRS.FI

                              Not necessarily absolutely conclusive, but taken together they strongly
                              suggest that the packets from my digi did not reach another digi.
                              Message 15 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                                On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM, N4AOF <N4AOF@...> wrote:

                                >> What data did you base this observation upon?
                                >
                                > Two data:
                                > 1) Not hearing the beacon digipeated

                                As in audibly with the radio used to send the packets? I've been
                                listening to packets for a long time, but I still can't decode packets
                                by ear. KY4KY-3 is not far away, but on the other side of a few hills.
                                It might be tough to get a signal to that station from your home.

                                > 2) Not finding either my mobile's locations or the my digi's location
                                > showing up on APRS.FI

                                aprs.fi and all the rest of the systems attached to the APRS-IS only
                                show what is successfully gated to the APRS-IS stream. Packets can get
                                masked out by the anti-dupe filters, but this is not the case here
                                since there's no evidence of the packets at all.

                                > Not necessarily absolutely conclusive, but taken together they strongly
                                > suggest that the packets from my digi did not reach another digi.

                                Possibly... what we do know is that these packets were NOT
                                successfully decoded by an i-gate that was properly connected to the
                                APRS-IS stream. It's easy to prove a positive, much less so to prove
                                a negative.

                                There are still a lot of variables in the works!

                              • N4AOF
                                Message 16 of 30 , Apr 6, 2012
                                  Message 17 of 30 , Apr 7, 2012
                                    On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 12:40 AM, N4AOF <N4AOF@...> wrote:

                                    > Agreed.  And I know that any time my mobile makes it to KY4KY it will be
                                    > gated, I've got to figure that its absence indicated my digi didn't make the
                                    > trip to either KY4KY-3 or KF4ERV-4 which are my two best chances to get
                                    > across the ridgeline.

                                    > Absolutely agreed.  I might suspect that there was something wrong with the
                                    > packets being transmitted by my T2-301, but all I know for sure is that its
                                    > packets (both beacon & as a digi) are successfully decoded by my own
                                    > TM-D710A (admittedly a close range with a clear LOS)

                                    The thing that you are ignoring is that not only were the packets from
                                    the T2-301 not decoded and gated, but the original packets from the
                                    D710 are also missing. There's not a lot of terrain between you and
                                    KF4ERV-4, so why wasn't it hearing anything from you?

                                    If the frequency is as dead as you suggest, and there's no reason for
                                    the i-gates in the area to be off-air, then there has to be another
                                    reason why your stations are not being heard.

                                  • N4AOF
                                    Message 18 of 30 , Apr 7, 2012
                                      >> Agreed. And I know that any time my mobile makes it to KY4KY it will be
                                      >> gated, I've got to figure that its absence indicated my digi didn't make
                                      >> the
                                      >> trip to either KY4KY-3 or KF4ERV-4 which are my two best chances to get
                                      >> across the ridgeline.
                                      >> Absolutely agreed. I might suspect that there was something wrong with
                                      >> the
                                      >> packets being transmitted by my T2-301, but all I know for sure is that
                                      >> its
                                      >> packets (both beacon & as a digi) are successfully decoded by my own
                                      >> TM-D710A (admittedly a close range with a clear LOS)

                                      > The thing that you are ignoring is that not only were the packets from
                                      > the T2-301 not decoded and gated, but the original packets from the
                                      > D710 are also missing.

                                      That's no surprise from the location

                                      > There's not a lot of terrain between you and KF4ERV-4,
                                      > so why wasn't it hearing anything from you?

                                      I'd suggest you look at a TOPO map -- my home (and the usual locations of my
                                      mobile) are on and west of US31W. Immediately east of US31W is a high
                                      ridgeline which is blocks the line of sight

                                      > If the frequency is as dead as you suggest, and there's no reason for
                                      > the i-gates in the area to be off-air, then there has to be another
                                      > reason why your stations are not being heard.

                                      Terrain appears to be THE primary reason. My mobile is routinely heard (and
                                      gated) whenever I go east of the ridgeline. It is never heard by KF4ERV-4
                                      and rarely heard by KY4KY-3 while it is west of the ridgeline except if I
                                      leave the radio on while the car is parked where I work on weekends then
                                      SOME of the packets make it to KY4KY-3 -- apparently the line of sight from
                                      that parking lot to KY4KY-3 lines up with one of the gaps in the ridgeline.
                                      Driving to and from that location, the mobile very rarely makes it to
                                      KY4KY-3. KF4ERV-4 has a much lower antenna height so stations need to be
                                      significantly closer to reach it.

                                      The one potentially missing factor might be the condition of the coax going
                                      to the antenna on my 40' tower -- that coax has been up for over a decade
                                      and I'm certainly in no shape to try to climb the tower to check and replace
                                      it. I have tried connecting the T2-301 to another antenna but that other
                                      antenna is at only about 15' which is unlikely to clear the ridge line.

                                      Next week I think I'll switch the T2-301 over to its tracker profile and
                                      take it along on my trip through town on Tuesday. I expect that I'll find
                                      it hits KY4KY-3 as soon as I'm west of the ridgeline and KF4ERV-4 once I get
                                      closer to it. If so, that will confirm that the T2-301 is working fine and
                                      the difficulties are just due to the terrain.
                                      Message 19 of 30 , Apr 9, 2012
                                        You should have troubleshooting instructions from me in a direct email.

                                        Thanks,

                                        Scott

                                        On 4/6/2012 6:55 AM, wilson.darcy@... wrote:
                                        > Ok, my thread has bounced around a bit...
                                        >
                                        > This particular case appears to have been operator error.
                                        >
                                        > My unit is DOA. No communication via rs232 or USB.

                                        > "Ron N9SZV" <n9szv@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > update, I used the OTWinCfg software:
                                        > > http://www.argentdata.com/support/otplus.html
                                        > >
                                        > > It to a bit for it to connect to my T3-135 TNC com port it kept
                                        > transmitting on and off and then the config page came up I had to add my
                                        > location..call...change A to 9600 and mode to Kiss clicked on write to
                                        > TNC. I then started Lynn's APRSIS32 program up and it started to work it
                                        > is Digi and sending all my beacons out!! Will keep running let every one
                                        > know if it stays working
                                        > >
                                        > > Ron N9SZV

                                      • Ron N9SZV
                                        Message 20 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                                          Scott I was trying to write to the TNC to make a correction and all it would do is keep transmitting on and off but other wise it seems to be working if I do your mod will it corect that problem?

                                          Ron N9SZV

                                          Message 21 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                                            Yes, that's exactly the problem that the mod is intended to fix.

                                            Scott

                                            On 4/10/2012 10:50 AM, Ron N9SZV wrote:
                                            > Scott I was trying to write to the TNC to make a correction and all it
                                            > would do is keep transmitting on and off but other wise it seems to be
                                            > working if I do your mod will it corect that problem?
                                            >
                                            > Ron N9SZV

                                            > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > You should have troubleshooting instructions from me in a direct email.
                                            > >
                                            > > Thanks,
                                            > >
                                            > > Scott
                                            > >
                                            > > On 4/6/2012 6:55 AM, wilson.darcy@... wrote:
                                            > > > Ok, my thread has bounced around a bit...
                                            > > >
                                            > > > This particular case appears to have been operator error.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > My unit is DOA. No communication via rs232 or USB.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
                                            > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,

                                            > > > transmitting on and off and then the config page came up I had to
                                            > add my
                                            > > > location..call...change A to 9600 and mode to Kiss clicked on write to
                                            > > > TNC. I then started Lynn's APRSIS32 program up and it started to
                                            > work it
                                            > > > is Digi and sending all my beacons out!! Will keep running let
                                            > every one
                                            > > > know if it stays working

                                          • Ron N9SZV
                                            Message 22 of 30 , Apr 10, 2012
                                              Ok, Scott modification done!! That is a very small trace and tough one for an old man to get to the two trace's are very close to each other!! but it worked thank you!!