More odd messages from OT3

  • notrobbage
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4 3:05 PM
      Scott, more malformed messages from an OT3. Time is UTC.

      21:51:31 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP:: :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{aa
      21:51:31 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP:!5317.58N/11525.86Wk242/006 14.0V EPE010 Nordegg rptr
      21:51:40 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP:: :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{ab
      21:52:28 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP:: :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{ab
      21:53:35 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP:: :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{ab
      21:53:39 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP:: :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{ac
      21:54:26 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP:: :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{ac
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 5 3:37 PM
        How was this message sent?

        Scott

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 5 5:21 PM

          Kiernan would have sent it from the Nuvi messaging interface. He asked me how to send messages with the Nuvi just before he sent these messages to Curtis.

          I can double check with him if you like.

          On 2012-04-05 4:37 PM, "Scott Miller" <scott@...> wrote:
          How was this message sent?

          Scott

          On 4/4/2012 3:05 PM, notrobbage wrote:
          > Scott, more malformed messages from an OT3. Time is UTC.
          >
          > 21:51:31 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP::
          > :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{aa
          > 21:51:31 (APRS-IS)
          > VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP:!5317.58N/11525.86Wk242/006
          > 14.0V EPE010 Nordegg rptr
          > 21:51:40 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP::
          > :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{ab
          > 21:52:28 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP::
          > :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{ab
          > 21:53:35 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP::
          > :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{ab
          > 21:53:39 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP::
          > :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{ac
          > 21:54:26 (APRS-IS) VA6IP>APOT30,WOLFLK,WIDE1,OBED*,WIDE2,qAS,VE6DVP::
          > :VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!{ac

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
             tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 6 2:39 PM
            If you could, I'd appreciate it. Can you make sure there's not a
            leading space or something? It should interpret everything up to the
            first space as the destination. I can see that there are unprintable
            characters in the address field - it's not actually zero-length - but I
            can't be sure what they are without capturing the packet off the air myself.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 6 3:39 PM
              Just got off the phone with Keirnan...

              He sent the message from the Nuvi FMI dispatch menu system. He however
              did put in the leading space, which is causing the issue.

              - VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!

              as opposed to

              -VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!

              This obviously causes the message to be sent to a null callsign, with
              the intended recipient callsign embedded in the message.

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 6 4:30 PM
                On 4/6/2012 3:39 PM, James Ewen wrote:
                > Just got off the phone with Keirnan...
                >
                > He sent the message from the Nuvi FMI dispatch menu system. He however
                > did put in the leading space, which is causing the issue.
                >
                > - VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!
                >
                > as opposed to
                >
                > -VE6AEW aprs working way better in cynthia now!!
                >
                > This obviously causes the message to be sent to a null callsign, with
                > the intended recipient callsign embedded in the message.

                Ok, working as designed then. I've put a TODO note in the code about
                generating an error for invalid addresses.

                Scott
              • Rob
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 6 4:57 PM
                  On 07/04/12 07:30, Scott Miller wrote:

                  Ok, working as designed then. I've put a TODO note in the code about
                  generating an error for invalid addresses.

                  My previous post about receiving broken messages were from a Nuvi 350 connected to an OT3 as well, so same cause no doubt.
                  Not sure why messages with an empty addressee get sent to my APRS-IS connection though.

                  --
                  Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN
                • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 6 5:22 PM
                    What APRS-IS client are you running?

                    What is that client's callsign-SSID?

                    What APRS-IS server and port are you connecting to?

                    What is your filter setting?

                    With that information we might have a chance of helping you figure out the empty address messages coming through to you.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 6 8:23 PM
                      On 07/04/12 08:22, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

                      What APRS-IS server and port are you connecting to?

                      rotate.aprs2.net:14580

                      What is your filter setting?

                      "r/-31.851/115.911/500" (500km around Perth, Australia) and nothing else.

                      With that information we might have a chance of helping you figure out the empty address messages coming through to you.

                      I don't see why they should get through to anybody for any reason.

                      --
                      Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN
                    • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 6 9:54 PM
                        Is the sourcing station within your range filter? If so, then you receive ALL packets generated by that station, including this blank-addressed message.

                        There is no APRS-IS filter on the intended recipient of an APRS message, so the fact that it's addressed to all blanks doesn't make a difference on who will see that packet.  This is a popular misconception of APRS-IS filtering.

                        The APRS-IS implicitly delivers message packets to the addressed station, no filter required.  That's how you get messages addressed to you from stations across the planet even though the source station is probably not in your range filter.

                        And if I'm running a t/m filter, then I'm asking to see ALL APRS message packets, so I should get that one, regardless of the apparent invalidity of the addressed station.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 6 10:38 PM
                          On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                          <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

                          > Is the sourcing station within your range filter?

                          You know Lynn, we always joke about Americans not knowing anything
                          about the world around them, and you're just adding to the
                          stereotype...

                          VK6UFO is in Australia. VA6IP is in Canada. Australia and Canada are a
                          little more than 500 km apart.

                          Rob, do you have any other filters that might be pulling the messages
                          to your station? I snoop on all messages around me, and I never saw
                          these messages. This is an interesting conundrum!

                        • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 6 10:52 PM
                            Well, you never know who's operating where, but to be honest, I was
                            interleaving these e-mails with some new development work on APRSISCE/32
                            that you should be seeing the Dev release e-mail about shortly.

                            At least I didn't ask if he might be receiving the messages via RF like
                            I was going to!

                            On 4/7/2012 1:38 AM, James Ewen wrote:
                            > On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                            > <ldeffenb@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Is the sourcing station within your range filter?
                            > You know Lynn, we always joke about Americans not knowing anything
                            > about the world around them, and you're just adding to the
                            > stereotype...
                            >
                            > VK6UFO is in Australia. VA6IP is in Canada. Australia and Canada are a
                            > little more than 500 km apart.
                            >
                            > Rob, do you have any other filters that might be pulling the messages
                            > to your station? I snoop on all messages around me, and I never saw
                            > these messages. This is an interesting conundrum!
                            >
                            > --
                            > James
                            > VE6SRV

                          • Rob
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 6 11:08 PM
                              On 07/04/12 13:38, James Ewen wrote:

                              Rob, do you have any other filters that might be pulling the messages
                              to your station? I snoop on all messages around me, and I never saw
                              these messages. This is an interesting conundrum!

                              No, only the range filter I mentioned. If anything else comes up, I'll post everything relevant from my logs including the everything passed to and from me when the connection was made to the APRS-IS server. That's the only time a filter is sent, by the way.
                              Perhaps in the "aprs" group :-) Apologies to OT2/3 users

                              --
                              Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN