Re: [tracker2] T2-301 Screws

  • Rudy Benner
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2012
      Would that mounting bracket lend itself toward attaching a heat sink? I have a T2-135 plus 3 of the radios in the data radio configuration.

      They are nominally rated at 5 watts, but will get HOT quick even at the 1 watt setting. I was given a couple of surplus heatsinks and the radios

      will run 100% duty cycle at 5 watts now. Don’t forget the thermal paste. I used tie-wraps to secure it.

      Sent: Monday, April 02, 2012 8:22 PM
      Subject: Re: [tracker2] T2-301 Screws

      Mounting bracket for T2-301?   I'm interested.

      Chris NW5W

      On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
      Should be M2.5.  We discovered we actually have a bag of mounting
      brackets that the factory sent along with the last order.  We didn't
      find them until we got to the last box.

      Scott

      On 4/2/2012 3:48 PM, Matthew Cook wrote:
      > Howdy,
      >
      > Can anyone tell me what size screw is required to grab hold of the
      > T2-301 from the bottom.  Are they imperial or metric?
      >
      > 73's
      >
      > Matthew
      > VK5ZM

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
         tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Matthew Cook
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2012
        Hi Scott,

        Thanks Scott.  I'm glad they are metric, far easier to source down here.  I'm curious how the factory make a mounting bracket, any chances of a picture?

        I am planning on mounting the radio to a piece of aluminium (1/8") sheet just bigger than the radio which would give the unit "wings" that I can then attach this to the steel ammo box I'm using.  Between the radio and the aluminium plate I'd use a thermal silicon pad to assist with heat conduction, ditto on the ally plate and steel box.  I'm wondering how warm the unit will run at 8W with a 20-40% duty cycle.  I was trying to avoid using a normal heatsink due to sharp edges protuding outside the side of the box etc.

        73's

        Matthew
        VK5ZM

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2012
          I'll put them on the website when I get a chance. We'll probably start
          shipping them standard with the new units.

          For now, if you're already placing an order you can just make a note
          that you want a couple of FC-301 brackets and we'll throw them in. Or
          order $1 worth of misc. goods.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2012
            If you're mounting a heat sink on the bottom, then it probably wouldn't
            be compatible with the bracket.

            Maybe we could find some aluminum heat sink extrusion that would fit,
            and drill it for the M2.5 holes. Not sure how efficient the heat
            transfer from the PA to the bottom of the case is, though.

            Scott