Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Can't config, OT2m serial port not responding

Expand Messages
  • rarousse
    Yesterday I pulled my OT2m from my truck and was going to see if there was any new firmware updates (was at build 55076) and make a new backup. Unfortunately I
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1 7:41 PM
    • 0 Attachment
      Yesterday I pulled my OT2m from my truck and was going to see if there was any new firmware updates (was at build 55076) and make a new backup.
      Unfortunately I have not been able to get mine to connect to otwincfg.exe. I followed this thread and tried the same things (different power supplies, different computers, etc...), but still no luck. The LEDs do not light up in a sequence, only the RX lights (barely). Tried the erase and load new firmware, but still nothing. Tried using Hyperterminal, but I don't get any prompts (even at different baud rates). I checked for any cold solder joints, but did not see anything obvious. This is also a ver 2.0a. Laptop is running XP, using a USB to serial that worked before.
      Other than that I've been really satisfied with the functionality of the unit since Feb. 16, 2010. I'll plug it back into my truck to see if it is still working there again.
      Thanks,
      -Rob
      KI4BKE

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@...> wrote:
      >
      > Unit is on its way back to Scott after these additional tests verified my original test set up was not at fault.
      > + Tried 12V power supply, same behavior as before
      > + Tried computer with a real serial port, same behavior as before
      >
      > Thank you all for your suggestions/recommendations!
      >
      > Tim - KB4PZO
      >
      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:
      > >
      > > By the way, this is a new tracker, Ver 2.0a.
      > >
      > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Larry,
      > > >
      > > > I give that I try tomorrow when I can line up another supply. For the record I'm using the 9-volt DC adapter that Scott sells, it is rated for 9V DC - 500mA.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for your suggestion,
      > > > Tim - KB4PZO
      > > >
      > > > Click to enlarge
      > > > DC wall adapter with 2.1 mm center positive plug.
      > > >
      > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Rudy Benner" <benner@> wrote:
      > > > >
      > > > > Try a different (larger) power supply
      > > > >
      > > > > ----- Original Message -----
      > > > > From: kb4pzo
      > > > > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      > > > > Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 9:38 PM
      > > > > Subject: [tracker2] Re: Can't config, OT2m serial port not responding
      > > > >
      > > > >
      > > > >
      > > > > Larry,
      > > > >
      > > > > Thanks for you suggestions. While the sequence looks like the power up sequence is it slower by about 2x. Also it doesn't start until I select "Connect" in otwincfg. I've also verified that the power is good. In otwincfg when I check "Erase device and load new firmware" and then select "Connect" nothing other than the periodic LED sequence I've already described occurs, so no success trying to load new firmware.
      > > > >
      > > > > Thanks again
      > > > > Tim - KB4PZO
      > > > >
      > > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@> wrote:
      > > > > >
      > > > > > The LEDs flashing like that is indicative of power being applied then removed. That is the blinking order of the LEDs at boot up. You might have an intermittent or just plan bad power connection.
      > > > > >
      > > > > > The rest of your procedures looks normal. However, you could also try to upload firmware to the OT2 in case what is there has been corrupted. You can see that option on the Tracker Connection window. Just check the box and follow the instructions after selecting 'Connect".
      > > > > >
      > > > > > Larry
      > > > > > K7YBZ
      > > > > >
      > > > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:
      > > > > > >
      > > > > > > I just got my Tracker2 OT2m today and can't communicate with it to set the configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      > > > > > >
      > > > > > > I'm using a USB to Serial Port converter. I'm running MS Vista Home Premium but have also tried running Otwincfg in XP emulation mode. The results I've gotten are as follows:
      > > > > > >
      > > > > > > Tera Term
      > > > > > > + Verified the USB-serial converter and null-modem serial cable are working by successfully talking to a TT4
      > > > > > > + Tried various baud rates 4800 (also 2400, 9600, 19,200) with no results, OT2m does not respond to several "Returns"
      > > > > > > + One data point is that at 4800 when I turn off the Tracker I see garbage characters, similar to what you see when the baud rate is set incorrectly.
      > > > > > >
      > > > > > > otwincfg
      > > > > > > + Select COM Port, press Connect, Turn on Tracker2
      > > > > > > + About every 13 seconds Tracker blinks LEDs in order (ACT, TX, RX) in quick succession
      > > > > > > + "Connect to tracker" window continues to be shown with "Connect" button grey-ed out and message "Ready to connect, Please reset tracker now." displayed
      > > > > > >
      > > > > > > 73,
      > > > > > > Tim
      > > > > > > KB4PZO
      > > > > > >
      > > > > >
      > > > >
      > > > >
      > > > >
      > > > >
      > > > >
      > > > >
      > > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      > > > >
      > > > >
      > > > >
      > > > > No virus found in this incoming message.
      > > > > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
      > > > > Version: 8.5.432 / Virus Database: 270.14.124/2599 - Release Date: 01/04/10 08:24:00
      > > > >
      > > >
      > >
      >
    • Scott Miller
      It was working OK in the truck? How was it powered there? With power alone connected, you should get the startup sequence on the LEDs. Scott
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2 11:51 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        It was working OK in the truck? How was it powered there? With power
        alone connected, you should get the startup sequence on the LEDs.

        Scott

        On 4/1/2012 7:41 PM, rarousse wrote:
        > Yesterday I pulled my OT2m from my truck and was going to see if there
        > was any new firmware updates (was at build 55076) and make a new backup.
        > Unfortunately I have not been able to get mine to connect to
        > otwincfg.exe. I followed this thread and tried the same things
        > (different power supplies, different computers, etc...), but still no
        > luck. The LEDs do not light up in a sequence, only the RX lights
        > (barely). Tried the erase and load new firmware, but still nothing.
        > Tried using Hyperterminal, but I don't get any prompts (even at
        > different baud rates). I checked for any cold solder joints, but did not
        > see anything obvious. This is also a ver 2.0a. Laptop is running XP,
        > using a USB to serial that worked before.
        > Other than that I've been really satisfied with the functionality of the
        > unit since Feb. 16, 2010. I'll plug it back into my truck to see if it
        > is still working there again.
        > Thanks,
        > -Rob
        > KI4BKE
        >
        > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Unit is on its way back to Scott after these additional tests
        > verified my original test set up was not at fault.
        > > + Tried 12V power supply, same behavior as before
        > > + Tried computer with a real serial port, same behavior as before
        > >
        > > Thank you all for your suggestions/recommendations!
        > >
        > > Tim - KB4PZO
        > >
        > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > By the way, this is a new tracker, Ver 2.0a.
        > > >
        > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:
        > > > >
        > > > > Larry,
        > > > >
        > > > > I give that I try tomorrow when I can line up another supply. For
        > the record I'm using the 9-volt DC adapter that Scott sells, it is rated
        > for 9V DC - 500mA.
        > > > >
        > > > > Thanks for your suggestion,
        > > > > Tim - KB4PZO
        > > > >
        > > > > Click to enlarge
        > > > > DC wall adapter with 2.1 mm center positive plug.
        > > > >
        > > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, "Rudy Benner" <benner@> wrote:
        > > > > >
        > > > > > Try a different (larger) power supply
        > > > > >
        > > > > > ----- Original Message -----
        > > > > > From: kb4pzo
        > > > > > To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>
        > > > > > Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 9:38 PM
        > > > > > Subject: [tracker2] Re: Can't config, OT2m serial port not
        > responding
        > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > > > > > Larry,
        > > > > >
        > > > > > Thanks for you suggestions. While the sequence looks like the
        > power up sequence is it slower by about 2x. Also it doesn't start until
        > I select "Connect" in otwincfg. I've also verified that the power is
        > good. In otwincfg when I check "Erase device and load new firmware" and
        > then select "Connect" nothing other than the periodic LED sequence I've
        > already described occurs, so no success trying to load new firmware.
        > > > > >
        > > > > > Thanks again
        > > > > > Tim - KB4PZO
        > > > > >
        > > > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, "k7ybz" <k7ybz@> wrote:
        > > > > > >
        > > > > > > The LEDs flashing like that is indicative of power being
        > applied then removed. That is the blinking order of the LEDs at boot up.
        > You might have an intermittent or just plan bad power connection.
        > > > > > >
        > > > > > > The rest of your procedures looks normal. However, you could
        > also try to upload firmware to the OT2 in case what is there has been
        > corrupted. You can see that option on the Tracker Connection window.
        > Just check the box and follow the instructions after selecting 'Connect".
        > > > > > >
        > > > > > > Larry
        > > > > > > K7YBZ
        > > > > > >
        > > > > > > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:tracker2%40yahoogroups.com>, "kb4pzo" <kb4pzo@> wrote:
        > > > > > > >
        > > > > > > > I just got my Tracker2 OT2m today and can't communicate
        > with it to set the configuration. Any suggestions would be greatly
        > appreciated.
        > > > > > > >
        > > > > > > > I'm using a USB to Serial Port converter. I'm running MS
        > Vista Home Premium but have also tried running Otwincfg in XP emulation
        > mode. The results I've gotten are as follows:
        > > > > > > >
        > > > > > > > Tera Term
        > > > > > > > + Verified the USB-serial converter and null-modem serial
        > cable are working by successfully talking to a TT4
        > > > > > > > + Tried various baud rates 4800 (also 2400, 9600, 19,200)
        > with no results, OT2m does not respond to several "Returns"
        > > > > > > > + One data point is that at 4800 when I turn off the
        > Tracker I see garbage characters, similar to what you see when the baud
        > rate is set incorrectly.
        > > > > > > >
        > > > > > > > otwincfg
        > > > > > > > + Select COM Port, press Connect, Turn on Tracker2
        > > > > > > > + About every 13 seconds Tracker blinks LEDs in order (ACT,
        > TX, RX) in quick succession
        > > > > > > > + "Connect to tracker" window continues to be shown with
        > "Connect" button grey-ed out and message "Ready to connect, Please reset
        > tracker now." displayed
        > > > > > > >
        > > > > > > > 73,
        > > > > > > > Tim
        > > > > > > > KB4PZO
        > > > > > > >
        > > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > > > > > ----------------------------------------------------------
        > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > > > > >
        > > > > > No virus found in this incoming message.
        > > > > > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
        > > > > > Version: 8.5.432 / Virus Database: 270.14.124/2599 - Release
        > Date: 01/04/10 08:24:00
        > > > > >
        > > > >
        > > >
        > >
        >
        >
      • Rob Rousseau
        Hi Scott, In the truck, it was receiving power via the Radio port. When I plug it from the wall, there is no startup sequence on the LEDs, only the green RX
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2 2:40 PM
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Scott,
          In the truck, it was receiving power via the Radio port. When I
          plug it from the wall, there is no startup sequence on the LEDs, only
          the green RX is lit up. I've tried 3 different DC adapters, all
          within the 7 to 28V DC range. I am guessing maybe a component went
          bad on the board.
          I put it back into the truck and well now I'm not getting anything
          from it. I guess that teaches me, I should have left it well enough
          alone!
          -Rob
          KI4BKE

          On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
          > It was working OK in the truck?  How was it powered there?  With power
          > alone connected, you should get the startup sequence on the LEDs.
          >
          > Scott
          >
          > On 4/1/2012 7:41 PM, rarousse wrote:
          >> Yesterday I pulled my OT2m from my truck and was going to see if there
          >> was any new firmware updates (was at build 55076) and make a new backup.
          >> Unfortunately I have not been able to get mine to connect to
          >> otwincfg.exe. I followed this thread and tried the same things
          >> (different power supplies, different computers, etc...), but still no
          >> luck. The LEDs do not light up in a sequence, only the RX lights
          >> (barely). Tried the erase and load new firmware, but still nothing.
          >> Tried using Hyperterminal, but I don't get any prompts (even at
          >> different baud rates). I checked for any cold solder joints, but did not
          >> see anything obvious. This is also a ver 2.0a. Laptop is running XP,
          >> using a USB to serial that worked before.
          >> Other than that I've been really satisfied with the functionality of the
          >> unit since Feb. 16, 2010. I'll plug it back into my truck to see if it
          >> is still working there again.
          >> Thanks,
          >> -Rob
          >> KI4BKE
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.