Re: [tracker2] OT2 and Alinco DR135 as an IGate

  • Bruce W. Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
      I struggled with this over the years and finally had to start documenting all the cables and adapters I was making.
      To me it looks like you have pins 4 and 9 on the DR-135 swapped out.
      See my page <http://bwm.us/Resource/radio_pinout.html> and look down for the "Adapter cable KPC3 to DR-135 to TNC2" diagram.

      I hope this helps,

      Bruce, KQ4TV

      On Mar 31, 2012, at 1:05 PM, ve1cfy wrote:

      > I have an Alinco DR-135 with a T2-135 board installed in it. It has worked well in my car for several years. I decided to purchase a new FTM 350 for APRS and chat. My plan was to replace the 30 year old Kenwood and KAM tnc that I had been using for my IGate. Only to discover the T2-135 has the deaf syndrome that many seem to have. For stations to be head they need to be within a few Kilometers of my house.Having an OT2 that I used prior to the Alinco and T2-135 I decided to try that with the Alinco. I removed the T2-135 and made a cable for the connection of the OT2 and the Alinco. I had only PTT no data in or out? Assuming I had made a mistake and having rechecked my connections and soldering several times. I did reverse the audio cables in case I read something wrong. I now have transmit with audio but no receive at the OT2. Anyone have suggestions of something I may have missed. Been struggling with this for 2 days. Thanks for any help.
      >
      > OT2 DR-135
      > Audio Out 1---4 Data Output 1200
      > PTT Out 3---7 PTT In
      > Audio In 5---9 Data Input 1200
      > Ground 6---5 Ground
      >
      > Eric Smith
      > VE1JW/VE1CFY
    • Ramon Gandia
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
        Not to berate the obvious, but take a small speaker or headphone
        with pigtail wires, and probe for audio all the way from the
        radio to the actual circuit board in the TNC. Make sure you
        also hear the packet racket there, just in case you have a PL tone
        or something inadvertently turned on.

        Had a friend with an unresponsive KPC3, and I did that, and no
        audio. He says "But I wired it right!" Well, obviously, something
        is wrong and its not getting to the TNC, so go to work, I said.
        A couple hours later, he has it up and running. I think he counted
        the db9 pins backwards or something like that.