Re: [tracker2] Tracker 2 Application Identifiers?

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2012
      On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know which application identifier goes with which of the
      > numerous members of the Tracker2 family?  And in particular, which of
      > those won't ever do messaging, which might do messaging, and which
      > definitely support a screen/keyboard (even if optional)?

      What do you consider message capable?

      I have a bunch of OT2m units in the field that have the ability to
      receive messages, and I use that functionality to interact with the
      digipeaters to configure them. However, you can send hundreds of
      messages to these units, and never get a message in front of a human,
      nor get a response.

      For that matter, my coworker has a D710 that is running APRS all the
      time in his truck, which is obviously message capable, and even has
      the ability to display the message in front of a human at the
      controls. You can send hundreds of messages to his radio, and you'll
      never get a response because he never looks at the screen.

      I think the better term is receive capable. Messaging requires
      interaction with a human via a user interface, both of which are not
      tied directly to the hardware version.