Re: [tracker2] OT2 vs OT3, + 350, to make sure I'm on the right track.

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 17, 2012
      On 3/17/2012 6:51 PM, quay_utewan wrote:
      > In trying to research this whole issue it seems like what is really needed is hardware and software to connect to one of these low cost android or winCE tablets that are on the market. Nice big 7" or 10" display would be really nice.

      Check out APRSISCE/32 at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/ It works on
      Windows Mobile and Win32 and the CE 5.0 that is specific to the WebDT
      366 tablet (http://tinyurl.com/7whbnbd). There is no such thing as
      "standard" Windows CE (only Windows Mobile), so just any WinCE tablet
      won't work. Oh, and I don't do Android (yet).

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 17, 2012
        On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM, quay_utewan <quay_utewan@...> wrote:

        > I have gathered that the ONLY automotive GPS receiver that will function correctly
        > in this role is the Garmin Nuvi 350.  Other units (like the 760 I have now) can supply
        > position data to the tracker, but cannot function correctly to display received position
        > reports.  Is this right?  The display on the 350 is not very good.

        That is an incorrect statement. The AvMap G4 & G5 (out of production),
        and G6 (currently available) display received APRS position reports.
        The G6 has the full APRS icon set, and fully supports live updates of
        the station information with no "breadcrumb" issues. It also has the
        capability of sending and receiving APRS messages using an on-screen
        keyboard. We just need to get Scott to support the interface!

        > I have seen a lot of information regarding that configuration with the OT2 tracker,
        > but little on the (newer?) OT3.  The OT3 sounds like it might be a better option
        > for future expansion, will it work correctly with the Nuvi 350?

        The OT3 is the current production unit. It has similar functionality
        as the OT2. I can't confirm that it works with the Nuvi 350, but Scott
        would have made that abundantly clear if he were to stop supporting
        the unit.

        > I like the fact that the OT3 has a keyboard connection, use of the APRS
        > messaging functionality is something I was hoping to explore in the future.

        That keyboard port needs to be operated in the blind as there is no
        display option on the unit currently.

        > It appears as though different cables are used to connect to the 350 from
        > the OT2 vs the OT3, I guess my question is if the functionality is the same.

        Not sure where you would get that idea from... the connectors on both
        units are identical.

        > Second, when not used in this setup, I'd like to be able to configure the control
        > device and radio as a fill-in digipeater.  Reading through the digipeater setup
        > wiki page it seems like the OT2 and OT3 are both capable of functioning in this role.

        Yes, both support digipeating, although there are some minor anomalies
        in the digipeating routines.

        > Lastly, a question on setup for mobile units.  My need for the first configuration
        > is for operation as a mobile unit at a large public service event where several
        > stations will be using APRS.  There are two large area digipeaters that cover
        > the route of the event.  Is it possible to configure a mobile tracker to limit
        > digipeating to JUST those TWO digipeaters, using their IDs?

        Yes, just use a named path, and name the digipeaters.

        >  I've tried to wrap my head around how the routing info works and cannot figure
        > out if it's possible to do this, pretty sure I figured out that it can be done for a
        > particular single digi but not if more than one will work when not knowing which
        > one will be the first hop.

        That's the issue unless the digipeaters are running OT2 or OT3
        hardware that supports preemptive digipeating. Packet hop requests are
        used in the order they are found in the packet. You could use
        alternating paths, and reverse the path in each profile. ie.
        DIGIA,DIGIB vs DIGIB,DIGIA

        > Just trying to limit the extent that our high density event impacts the
        > network beyond those two digipeaters.

        That's a very simple thing to do. Don't use a long path. Set your
        outgoing path to WIDE2-1, and only the digipeaters that can hear you
        direct will act upon the packet. If more than these 2 digipeaters are
        within simplex range, then you will end up activating more than these
        two digipeaters.

        > If that's not possible, what would be the correct setting to limit the
        > digipeating to get two digipeats -  Wide2-2?

        That would give you two hops in ALL directions. That won't limit the
        digipeating to the two digipeaters in your local area. ANY digipeater
        that can hear your packet directly will digipeat your packet, and then
        ANY digipeater that can hear ANY of the digipeaters that digipeated
        your packet on the first hop will digipeat you on the second hop.

        > I almost just put in an order for an OT3, a radio cable and the Garmin cable
        > for the 350 but wanted to make sure I had everything straight.

        The OT3 is a great unit, and if you have a Nuvi 350, you can get a
        mapping display tied into it easily. There are other units out there
        that will give you a larger display, and you can also connect into the
        OT3 with a laptop for a decent sized mapping display.

        If you had a callsign posted, I could give you a better answer to your
        questions with specific digipeaters named, and the number of
        digipeaters you might activate with different hop requests. With no
        idea where in the world you are, I'm limited to generic answers that
        might be difficult to understand.

      • Rob
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 17, 2012
          On 18/03/12 06:51, quay_utewan wrote:

          Here's what I am wanting to do:
          First, a mobile (in-car) setup that will enable transmission of APRS tracking packets, as well as reception of position reports from other nearby mobile stations and display of those on a moving map display.

          I have gathered that the ONLY automotive GPS receiver that will function correctly in this role is the Garmin Nuvi 350. Other units (like the 760 I have now) can supply position data to the tracker, but cannot function correctly to display received position reports. Is this right? The display on the 350 is not very good.

          It's my understanding you can use APRSDroid connected to a KISS port via Bluetooth serial. Whether the Android device's GPS can be used for the tracker I don't know. If not, you will need to supply your own GPS. Shouldn't be a problem on a T2 or T3 with two serial ports.

          I intend to try this out as soon as the BT serial gadget I ordered 2 months ago arrives. The canoe from HK seems to have got lost.

          If all goes well on my Xoom then I've bookmarked a couple of cheap 7" HK tablets to try. I don't feel that a 10" display would be convenient in the car. There's barely enough room on the dash for the 5" satnav and Icom head.
          --
          Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN
        • quay_utewan
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 18, 2012
            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

            > On 3/17/2012 6:51 PM, quay_utewan wrote:
            > > In trying to research this whole issue it seems like what is really needed is hardware and software to connect to one of these low cost android or winCE tablets that are on the market. Nice big 7" or 10" display would be really nice.
            >
            > Check out APRSISCE/32 at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/ It works on
            > Windows Mobile and Win32 and the CE 5.0 that is specific to the WebDT
            > 366 tablet (http://tinyurl.com/7whbnbd). There is no such thing as
            > "standard" Windows CE (only Windows Mobile), so just any WinCE tablet
            > won't work. Oh, and I don't do Android (yet).

            Thank you for your response. I'm trying to get up to speed on APRS pretty quickly and wasn't aware of all the things that are out there, like your software.

            That certainly looks interesting, and that WebDT 366 looks reasonable. So your software will work correctly to get me a moving map display in a mobile environment? Are you able to add "waypoints" or other fixed locations that will appear on the map? The 366 doesn't look like it has a GPS receiver, so would also have to attach an external GPS device it would appear. Would it work with a serial Y cable and serial GPS connected along with an OT2/OT3 and the 366? (I already have a serial GPS device).
          • quay_utewan
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 18, 2012
              Thank you for your extensive reply.

              > On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM, quay_utewan <quay_utewan@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I have gathered that the ONLY automotive GPS receiver that will function correctly
              > > in this role is the Garmin Nuvi 350.  Other units (like the 760 I have now) can supply
              > > position data to the tracker, but cannot function correctly to display received position
              > > reports.  Is this right?  The display on the 350 is not very good.
              >
              > That is an incorrect statement. The AvMap G4 & G5 (out of production),
              > and G6 (currently available) display received APRS position reports.
              > The G6 has the full APRS icon set, and fully supports live updates of
              > the station information with no "breadcrumb" issues. It also has the
              > capability of sending and receiving APRS messages using an on-screen
              > keyboard. We just need to get Scott to support the interface!

              Sorry I left that out of my original message. I'm aware of the AVmap units, but find them undesirable for several reasons, not the least of which is cost, as well as available map updates and other features. So I'm looking for a more reasonably priced solution. I probably have a little bias as I've used for years and am familiar with various Garmin units.

              Out of curiosity has anyone approached Garmin as far as a firmware tweak to enable correct function on any other models? I see company representatives at conventions once or twice a year, might be something that just needs a minor revision worked in to their normal course of firmware updates.

              > > I have seen a lot of information regarding that configuration with the OT2 tracker,
              > > but little on the (newer?) OT3.  The OT3 sounds like it might be a better option
              > > for future expansion, will it work correctly with the Nuvi 350?
              >
              > The OT3 is the current production unit. It has similar functionality
              > as the OT2. I can't confirm that it works with the Nuvi 350, but Scott
              > would have made that abundantly clear if he were to stop supporting
              > the unit.
              >
              > > I like the fact that the OT3 has a keyboard connection, use of the APRS
              > > messaging functionality is something I was hoping to explore in the future.
              >
              > That keyboard port needs to be operated in the blind as there is no
              > display option on the unit currently.

              I gathered that, but its there so was just looking at future potential.

              > > It appears as though different cables are used to connect to the 350 from
              > > the OT2 vs the OT3, I guess my question is if the functionality is the same.
              >
              > Not sure where you would get that idea from... the connectors on both
              > units are identical.

              My misunderstanding, which came from comments I read on another forum. The OT3 page says that the "gtrans" cable should not be used, and on the other forum it was mentioned using the gtrans along with the OT2. I now see the same notice about not using the gtrans cable on the OT2 webpage. So that clears up that misunderstanding.

              > > Second, when not used in this setup, I'd like to be able to configure the control
              > > device and radio as a fill-in digipeater.  Reading through the digipeater setup
              > > wiki page it seems like the OT2 and OT3 are both capable of functioning in this role.
              >
              > Yes, both support digipeating, although there are some minor anomalies
              > in the digipeating routines.
              >
              > > Lastly, a question on setup for mobile units.  My need for the first configuration
              > > is for operation as a mobile unit at a large public service event where several
              > > stations will be using APRS.  There are two large area digipeaters that cover
              > > the route of the event.  Is it possible to configure a mobile tracker to limit
              > > digipeating to JUST those TWO digipeaters, using their IDs?
              >
              > Yes, just use a named path, and name the digipeaters.
              >
              > >  I've tried to wrap my head around how the routing info works and cannot figure
              > > out if it's possible to do this, pretty sure I figured out that it can be done for a
              > > particular single digi but not if more than one will work when not knowing which
              > > one will be the first hop.
              >
              > That's the issue unless the digipeaters are running OT2 or OT3
              > hardware that supports preemptive digipeating. Packet hop requests are
              > used in the order they are found in the packet. You could use
              > alternating paths, and reverse the path in each profile. ie.
              > DIGIA,DIGIB vs DIGIB,DIGIA
              >

              > > Just trying to limit the extent that our high density event impacts the
              > > network beyond those two digipeaters.
              >
              > That's a very simple thing to do. Don't use a long path. Set your
              > outgoing path to WIDE2-1, and only the digipeaters that can hear you
              > direct will act upon the packet. If more than these 2 digipeaters are
              > within simplex range, then you will end up activating more than these
              > two digipeaters.
              >
              > > If that's not possible, what would be the correct setting to limit the
              > > digipeating to get two digipeats -  Wide2-2?
              >
              > That would give you two hops in ALL directions. That won't limit the
              > digipeating to the two digipeaters in your local area. ANY digipeater
              > that can hear your packet directly will digipeat your packet, and then
              > ANY digipeater that can hear ANY of the digipeaters that digipeated
              > your packet on the first hop will digipeat you on the second hop.

              We need to get digipeated reliably through both of the two digipeaters, and most of the time will NOT be directly within range of both, hence the need to get repeated through both. I don't see any way to do the other than with the Wide2-2 setting, which will propagate packets widely beyond our event area - which is the whole reason for my concern.

              I had a thought today when looking at the routing logic again. The best solution it would seem would be if the two digipeaters that cover the event route would add an event specific routing alias to their digipeat list - so that event units could use "XYZ-2" and then our traffic would be limited to just those two digipeaters who have enabled "XYZ" alias routing. I'm going to put in some inquiries about that course of action. This course of action seems most prudent with a discovery tonight, see last comment.

              > > I almost just put in an order for an OT3, a radio cable and the Garmin cable
              > > for the 350 but wanted to make sure I had everything straight.
              >
              > The OT3 is a great unit, and if you have a Nuvi 350, you can get a
              > mapping display tied into it easily. There are other units out there
              > that will give you a larger display, and you can also connect into the
              > OT3 with a laptop for a decent sized mapping display.

              I have access to a Nuvi 350, or should that I can use for this event. A laptop or netbook would have a nicer display, but not very handy to access or mount in the vehicle for use while mobile. Basically I just need something I can glance at, and get an idea of where other mobiles are in relation to event landmarks.

              > If you had a callsign posted, I could give you a better answer to your
              > questions with specific digipeaters named, and the number of
              > digipeaters you might activate with different hop requests. With no
              > idea where in the world you are, I'm limited to generic answers that
              > might be difficult to understand.
              >
              > --
              > James
              > VE6SRV

              I think the event-specific routing idea would solve our concerns about overloading the network, if that would work and we can get the affected digis to add the routing alias. I was just looking on aprs.fi and I see there's a third digi now which will fill in some of our coverage which makes the standard routing like Wide3 or callsign specific routing even more problematic. If we could get all three digis to add a special routing code (example "XYZ", and the mobiles would beacon with "XYZ-3", then to my understanding we should get digipeated through all three digis, but none beyond.
            • quay_utewan
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 18, 2012
                --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Rob <vk6ufo@...> wrote:

                > On 18/03/12 06:51, quay_utewan wrote:
                > >
                > > Here's what I am wanting to do:
                > > First, a mobile (in-car) setup that will enable transmission of APRS
                > > tracking packets, as well as reception of position reports from other
                > > nearby mobile stations and display of those on a moving map display.
                > >
                > > I have gathered that the ONLY automotive GPS receiver that will
                > > function correctly in this role is the Garmin Nuvi 350. Other units
                > > (like the 760 I have now) can supply position data to the tracker, but
                > > cannot function correctly to display received position reports. Is
                > > this right? The display on the 350 is not very good.
                > >

                > It's my understanding you can use APRSDroid connected to a KISS port via
                > Bluetooth serial. Whether the Android device's GPS can be used for the
                > tracker I don't know. If not, you will need to supply your own GPS.
                > Shouldn't be a problem on a T2 or T3 with two serial ports.
                >
                > I intend to try this out as soon as the BT serial gadget I ordered 2
                > months ago arrives. The canoe from HK seems to have got lost.
                >
                > If all goes well on my Xoom then I've bookmarked a couple of cheap 7" HK
                > tablets to try. I don't feel that a 10" display would be convenient in
                > the car. There's barely enough room on the dash for the 5" satnav and
                > Icom head.
                >
                > --
                > Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN

                http://www.nowsupplier.com/nowkin-g76-inch-500mhz-gps-navigation-4gb-with-igo-map-software-p-1876.html

                This was something that caught my attention... not necessarily that exact unit, but there are lots of low cost tablets available with built in GPS, the either run android or winCE. That aprsisce software mentioned in an earlier response looks interesting, but the specific device he mentioned doesn't have an onboard GPS receiver, so just adds a little more complexity and expense.
              • Rob
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 19, 2012
                  On 19/03/12 11:21, quay_utewan wrote:

                  http://www.nowsupplier.com/nowkin-g76-inch-500mhz-gps-navigation-4gb-with-igo-map-software-p-1876.html

                  This was something that caught my attention... not necessarily that exact unit, but there are lots of low cost tablets available with built in GPS, the either run android or winCE.

                  That unit doesn't mention whether it runs android or can run it. I'm not familiar with IFO

                  That aprsisce software mentioned in an earlier response looks interesting, but the specific device he mentioned doesn't have an onboard GPS receiver, so just adds a little more complexity and expense.

                  APRSISCE for win32 is great. Hopefully it will make UI-View32 redundant. I haven't used the CE version but no doubt it's the same.
                  I'm not sure you'll find everything you need in one unit yet. A tracker2/3 with GPS and bluetooth hidden away somewhere in the bowels of a car would make the tablet seem close to all-in-one anyway.

                  --
                  Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN
                • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 19, 2012
                    On 3/19/2012 5:15 AM, Rob wrote:
                    |**|begin egp html banner|**|

                    |**|end egp html banner|**| On 19/03/12 11:21, quay_utewan wrote:

                    http://www.nowsupplier.com/nowkin-g76-inch-500mhz-gps-navigation-4gb-with-igo-map-software-p-1876.html

                    This was something that caught my attention... not necessarily that exact unit, but there are lots of low cost tablets available with built in GPS, the either run android or winCE.

                    That unit doesn't mention whether it runs android or can run it. I'm not familiar with IFO

                    It plainly states "Window CE 5.0 Operation System", so it's definitely not android.  And "CE 5.0" says absolutely nothing about compatibility for any other software, read http://tinyurl.com/4ay9w22 in full for extreme details (it talks about CE 6.0, but 5.0 is the same):

                     The choice of operating system features also determines the application development APIs that are exposed from the device - this means that each CE based embedded device could expose a completely different set of components/technologies and therefore APIs to an application developer (and in many cases devices are closed, so there isn't a 3rd party developer story).

                    Let me restate that.  Any device using Windows CE (anything) requires a developer's kit to be provided by the device manufacturer to the software developer who has to build a specific version of an application for use on that particular device.  There is absolutely NO cross-platform compatibility at the executable level for Windows CE.  You can also search the 'net for "CE vs Windows Mobile" and get more to read than you ever thought you wanted to know.

                    Also, the unit above doesn't seem to have Bluetooth and is unlikely to act as a reasonable USB host, so it'll be awful hard to connect it to a TNC.  The WebDT 366 that I mentioned earlier comes with Bluetooth and is trivially easy to pair with a GPS and bluetooth to serial port to get real-world communications.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 19, 2012
                      On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM, quay_utewan <quay_utewan@...> wrote:

                      > Sorry I left that out of my original message.  I'm aware of the AVmap units,
                      > but find them undesirable for several reasons, not the least of which is cost,
                      > as well as available map updates and other features.

                      Okay, given more unlisted criteria, it is difficult to be able to
                      provide suitable answers.

                      > I probably have a little bias as I've used for years and am familiar with various Garmin units.

                      I started with Garmin, and was really happy with their product line as well.

                      > Out of curiosity has anyone approached Garmin as far as a firmware tweak
                      > to enable correct function on any other models?

                      Yes, on many, many, many occasions. The answer is always the same...
                      the Garmin 350 FMI implementation is flawed, and they won't replicate
                      the flaw in other units. Garmin did make modifications to the FMI
                      interface, but it still does not support live data updates.

                      > My misunderstanding, which came from comments I read on another forum.
                      > The OT3 page says that the "gtrans" cable should not be used, and on the
                      > other forum it was mentioned using the gtrans along with the OT2.

                      The GTrans cable translates from Garmin to NMEA format for use with
                      other applications that only speak NMEA, whereas the OT2 and OT3 can
                      talk to the Garmin in it's native format, hence no need for a
                      translator.

                      > I had a thought today when looking at the routing logic again.  The best
                      > solution it would seem would be if the two digipeaters that cover the event
                      > route would add an event specific routing alias to their digipeat list

                      Yes, if you have access to the digipeaters, you could program a
                      specific substitution alias, such as EVENT into the digipeaters, and
                      then use a path of EVENT,EVENT. Only these two digipeaters will work
                      on the alias, and the signal will not propagate beyond those
                      digipeaters.

                      > I have access to a Nuvi 350, or should that I can use for this event.  A
                      > laptop or netbook would have a nicer display, but not very handy to
                      > access or mount in the vehicle for use while mobile.  Basically I just
                      > need something I can glance at, and get an idea of where other mobiles
                      > are in relation to event landmarks.

                      Good luck with the Garmin 350... you need to have really good eyes!
                      Even with the larger display on the G5 and G6, I find that I have to
                      be zoomed in fairly close to see enough detail, and then need to
                      scroll to see the area desired.

                      The laptop display makes it easier to see the stations and the
                      background map detail as well.

                      > I think the event-specific routing idea would solve our concerns about
                      > overloading the network, if that would work and we can get the affected
                      > digis to add the routing alias.  I was just looking on aprs.fi and I see
                      > there's a third digi now which will fill in some of our coverage which
                      > makes the standard routing like Wide3 or callsign specific routing
                      > even more problematic.

                      It sounds like you are thinking that the number in the WIDEn-N tells
                      the network how many digipeaters total to use... that is not the case.
                      The number tells how many hops away the packet will go. If you had
                      posted a callsign, I could give some specifics examples of how your
                      local digipeater network would propagate the signal...

                      Any digipeater hearing the signal from your station would act upon the
                      WIDE3-3 portion. That might be anywhere from 0 digipeaters up to half
                      a dozen or more depending upon the way your network is built. Then any
                      digipeaters which can hear the digipeaters activated by the WIDE3-3
                      will now act upon the WIDE3-2 portion. Again, you could be talking
                      about anywhere between zero and many digipeaters... then you still
                      have WIDE3-1 to act upon, which will activate any digipeaters that can
                      hear the second hop digipeaters.

                      If you only have 3 digipeaters in your WHOLE APRS network, strung out
                      in a long line where each can only hear the next closest neighbor,
                      then WIDE3-3 would only activate those 3 digipeaters. If your three
                      digipeaters can each hear the other two digipeaters, and you fire off
                      a packet which only 1 digipeater can hear, a WIDE2-2 path will get you
                      digipeated by all three digipeaters.

                      In my local network, if I fire off a packet just barely strong enough
                      to be heard by the closest digipeater, that first hop would only
                      activate that single digipeater, but the next hop would probably fire
                      off 5 or 6 more digipeaters that can hear the original digipeater. A
                      third hop would probably end up activating about 15 more digipeaters
                      surrounding the area.

                      A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that WIDE3-3 would only
                      activate 3 digipeaters rather than the actual case where it's ALL
                      digipeaters within 3 hops in ALL directions.

                      Setting up a specific alias in the desired digipeater is the optimal
                      way to limit your impact. Depending upon the hardware used in the
                      digipeaters, there are a number of was to accomplish the goal. Given
                      an idea of where your area of concern is, we could look at the
                      specific digipeater hardware and make recommendations as to the
                      required settings.

                    • N9NWO
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 19, 2012
                        The problem is that the newer Garmin units are just as expensive as the AV Maps units. And I am not sure that Garmin has "allowed" the fleet mapping feature as well as AV Maps.

                        For what we want, expect to pay about $700. Yes it can be done with less expense but then there are trade offs.

                        BTW, I am a huge Garmin fan.

                        N9NWO

                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 19, 2012
                          > The number tells how many hops away the packet will go. If you had
                          > posted a callsign, I could give some specifics examples of how your
                          > local digipeater network would propagate the signal...
                          >

                          > --
                          > James
                          > VE6SRV

                          I think I'm familiar with how digipeats propagate geometrically... the two digipeaters in question for this event are N9AZZ-2 and KC9FIQ-7. Looking at the 24 hour map on aprs.fi it doesn't look like there is much activity on normal days.
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 20, 2012
                            On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM, quay_utewan <quay_utewan@...> wrote:

                            > I think I'm familiar with how digipeats propagate geometrically... the two digipeaters
                            > in question for this event are N9AZZ-2 and KC9FIQ-7.  Looking at the 24 hour map
                            > on aprs.fi it doesn't look like there is much activity on normal days.

                            Those two digipeaters can see each other, and there's another between
                            them that might be the third you are talking about, KB9JNO-2.

                            Using a 2 hop path would get your signal digipeated through all three
                            as long as you were able to be heard by at least one of them.

                            All three list themselves as being Kantronics KPC-3 units. You could
                            get the people looking after the units to set a UIDIGI alias
                            specifically for the event. You would then use an outgoing path asking
                            for two hops using that alias. ie. EVENT,EVENT

                            You could also get them to temporarily change the UIFLOOD alias to
                            support the event, and you could use EVENT2-2 as a flooding hop
                            request. 2 of the digipeater support ILn, but KC9FIQ-7 says it
                            supports SIn as a flooding alias. If all three supported the same
                            SSn-N alias, you could have used that to limit the area of impact to
                            just Illinois. Unfortunately not everyone who sets up digipeaters goes
                            to the trouble of actually understanding what it is that they are
                            doing before setting up a digi. Give it a shot and see if the KC9FIQ-7
                            digipeater actually responds to SIn-N...

                          • Rob
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 22, 2012
                              On 19/03/12 11:21, quay_utewan wrote:

                              > I intend to try this out as soon as the BT serial gadget I ordered 2
                              > months ago arrives. The canoe from HK seems to have got lost.

                              http://www.nowsupplier.com/nowkin-g76-inch-500mhz-gps-navigation-4gb-with-igo-map-software-p-1876.html

                              This was something that caught my attention... not necessarily that exact unit, but there are lots of low cost tablets available with built in GPS, the either run android or winCE. That aprsisce software mentioned in an earlier response looks interesting, but the specific device he mentioned doesn't have an onboard GPS receiver, so just adds a little more complexity and expense.

                              I finally received the serial-bluetooth adaptor.. took about 80 days to ship despite being listed as 'in stock' when I ordered it.

                              It works well connected to the T2 and using APRSDroid on a Motorola Xoom. It plugs straight into one of the T2 serial ports and supply it with 5v.

                              --
                              Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN
                            • quay_utewan
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 28, 2012
                                Lynn, so this software will work on WinXP correct? Will it perform acceptably on a s-l-o-w old computer, or would I be better off with one of those DT366 tablets? I have access to an old laptop, it's a Cel 1.1 or something with 512mb ram. I also found a touch screen VGA display to use with it as the onboard display is destroyed. The screen is roughly the same cost as a used Nuvi 350, the old laptop was free.

                                Going to try to figure out all the cables I would need to support either configuration. If the laptop works I can sell the 350.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 28, 2012
                                  And now it appears that both OT2 and OT3 are out of stock... I can't win lol.
                                • Fred Hillhouse
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 29, 2012
                                    I ran APRSIS32 on an older Compac M300. I was not disappointed! While it was running, I also ran another mapping application as well as a OBDII application. I was running mobile. I replaced the netbook only because the battery replacement cost was ~$150. My OT2 was feeding data and GPS sentences to the netbook.

                                    Best regards,
                                    Fred, N7FMH

                                    href="http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/">http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/ It works on
                                    href="http://tinyurl.com/7whbnbd">http://tinyurl.com/7whbnbd). There is no such thing as
                                    > "standard" Windows CE (only Windows Mobile), so just any
                                    WinCE tablet
                                    > won't work. Oh, and I don't do Android (yet).
                                    >
                                    > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and
                                    Win32

                                  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 29, 2012
                                      There are people running it on Win2K laptops of the same vintage, but
                                      Win98/ME are a non-starters due to some of the APRSISCE/32 features.
                                      Windows XP SP3 is a good platform for it.

                                      The program is built from the same source for Win32 desktops as for
                                      Windows Mobile cell phones which are typically a 400Mhz Xscale (or
                                      equivalent) processor. Obviously you're not going to want to watch the
                                      planetary APRS-IS on a slow machine, but you should find it sufficient
                                      for your local area.

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 29, 2012
                                        We're not planning to make any more OT2ms, though BD6CR in Shanghai
                                        should still be producing them for a while and you might be able to
                                        order them through his site.

                                        OT3ms are being built in-house as fast as we can, which isn't very fast,
                                        but the first large batch from an outside contract manufacturer is due
                                        in a few weeks and we should finally get caught up then.

                                        Scott

                                        On 3/28/2012 8:57 PM, quay_utewan wrote:
                                        > And now it appears that both OT2 and OT3 are out of stock... I can't win
                                        > lol.

                                      • Randy Love
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 29, 2012
                                          Just in time for Dayton, eh?  :)

                                          On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                          We're not planning to make any more OT2ms, though BD6CR in Shanghai
                                          should still be producing them for a while and you might be able to
                                          order them through his site.

                                          OT3ms are being built in-house as fast as we can, which isn't very fast,
                                          but the first large batch from an outside contract manufacturer is due
                                          in a few weeks and we should finally get caught up then.

                                          Scott

                                          On 3/28/2012 8:57 PM, quay_utewan wrote:
                                          > And now it appears that both OT2 and OT3 are out of stock... I can't win
                                          > lol.

                                          <*> Your email settings:
                                             Individual Email | Traditional

                                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                                             (Yahoo! ID required)

                                          <*> To change settings via email:
                                             tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                             tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                        • quay_utewan
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 30, 2012
                                            My event is in 3 weeks, so guess I'll be buying a USB model and trying to get a computer set up and working.

                                            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

                                            > Just in time for Dayton, eh? :)
                                            >
                                            > On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > We're not planning to make any more OT2ms, though BD6CR in Shanghai
                                            > > should still be producing them for a while and you might be able to
                                            > > order them through his site.
                                            > >
                                            > > OT3ms are being built in-house as fast as we can, which isn't very fast,
                                            > > but the first large batch from an outside contract manufacturer is due
                                            > > in a few weeks and we should finally get caught up then.
                                            > >
                                            > > Scott
                                            > >
                                            > > On 3/28/2012 8:57 PM, quay_utewan wrote:
                                            > > > And now it appears that both OT2 and OT3 are out of stock... I can't win
                                            > > > lol.

                                          • quay_utewan
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 9, 2012
                                              Finally got the old laptop working, had to replace the CD/DVD drive on it. Installed linux as a trial... I downloaded the current version but it won't load via WINE, says it is not marked as executable.

                                              So I will try windows after all. With the OT2 and OT3 out of stock I'm up against the calendar to get something working in time for the event, since the easy Nuvi 350 solution is not available. Trying to at least get the software loaded to make sure it will work before spending $ to order the USB tracker.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 10, 2012
                                                On 10/04/12 13:46, quay_utewan wrote:

                                                Finally got the old laptop working, had to replace the CD/DVD drive on it. Installed linux as a trial... I downloaded the current version but it won't load via WINE, says it is not marked as executable.

                                                Is Linux saying WINE isn't executable or is WINE saying otwincfg isn't executable?

                                                --
                                                Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 10, 2012

                                                  He's probably saying that APRSISCE/32 is not an executable, since that is the program that he was talking about previously.

                                                  So the question is, are you trying to run the zip file? A zip file is not executable, you need to unzip it.

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Apr 10, 2012
                                                    WINE pops up a box and says "The file '(path)/APRSIS32.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit."

                                                    I did get Windows installed instead and the program running on win instead. I think it may take days/weeks to get the requisite map tiles downloaded in order for it to be able to work w/o internet though. The prefetch system is kind of a PITA, would be much easier to just draw an outline on the map and say get this area at whatever level of resolution desired.

                                                    --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Rob <vk6ufo@...> wrote:

                                                    > On 10/04/12 13:46, quay_utewan wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Finally got the old laptop working, had to replace the CD/DVD drive on
                                                    > > it. Installed linux as a trial... I downloaded the current version but
                                                    > > it won't load via WINE, says it is not marked as executable.
                                                    > >
                                                    > Is Linux saying WINE isn't executable or is WINE saying otwincfg isn't
                                                    > executable?
                                                    >
                                                    > --
                                                    > Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN

                                                    > He's probably saying that APRSISCE/32 is not an executable, since that is
                                                    > the program that he was talking about previously.
                                                    >
                                                    > So the question is, are you trying to run the zip file? A zip file is not
                                                    > executable, you need to unzip it.
                                                    > On 2012-04-10 3:33 AM, "Rob" <vk6ufo@...> wrote:
                                                    >

                                                    > > On 10/04/12 13:46, quay_utewan wrote:
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Finally got the old laptop working, had to replace the CD/DVD drive on it.
                                                    > > Installed linux as a trial... I downloaded the current version but it won't
                                                    > > load via WINE, says it is not marked as executable.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Is Linux saying WINE isn't executable or is WINE saying otwincfg isn't
                                                    > > executable?
                                                    > >
                                                    > > --
                                                    > > Rob, VK6UFO, VK6RN

                                                  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 10, 2012
                                                      On 4/10/2012 8:28 PM, quay_utewan wrote:
                                                      WINE pops up a box and says "The file '(path)/APRSIS32.exe' is not marked as executable. If this was downloaded or copied from an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run. For more details, read about the executable bit."

                                                      I did get Windows installed instead and the program running on win instead.  I think it may take days/weeks to get the requisite map tiles downloaded in order for it to be able to work w/o internet though.  The prefetch system is kind of a PITA, would be much easier to just draw an outline on the map and say get this area at whatever level of resolution desired.

                                                      Please read: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tile_usage_policy Particularly:

                                                      Bulk Downloading

                                                      Bulk downloading is strongly discouraged. Do not download tiles unnecessarily.

                                                      In particular, downloading significant areas of tiles at zoom levels 17 and higher for offline or later usage is forbidden without prior consultation with a System Administrator. These tiles are generally not available (cached) on the server in advance, and have to be rendered specifically for those requests, putting an unjustified burden on the available resources.

                                                      Also, the latest development version supports loading a track from a GPX file and "driving" along it at a selected zoom level where the driving rate is limited by the tile fetch queue.  Much easier and complete way to load a set of tiles for offline use.

                                                      You're invited to join the APRSISCE Yahoo group and make any suggestion for making things better over there.  I can only make it better if I know what people find hard to use, and I can make it even better better if they have suggestions on how it could be improved.

                                                      Also available in the Yahoo group are people that are successfully running APRSIS32 under the latest versions of WINE, so I know you'll get help with that if *nix is your chosen platform.