Re: [tracker2] Digi Question

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
      Mike WD5MHZ wrote...

      > My T2 is set up as a digi but I think it should be getting more
      > than what it is the call on it is WD5MHZ-1 it's in one the the
      > highest mt tops in Arkansas can someone check the settings to
      > make sure I have it set up correctly
      >
      > Alias Hops preempt id Enabled
      > SAR 7 checked checked checked
      > WIDE 3 nothing checked checked
      > AR 7 nothing checked checked

      They look like pretty normal settings... SARn-N up to 7 hops
      with pre-emptive digipeating turned on, WIDEn-N up to 3 hops,
      and ARn-N (SSn-N) up to 7 hops.

      As for what you have digi'd (and made it to an iGate)... you seem
      to be hearing quite a few stations. scording to DB0ANF.de. Click
      on the "down" arrow by "last heard" too see the most recently
      heard stations.

      www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/digiusers-WD5MHZ-1

      http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=WD5MHZ-1&limit=25

      2012-03-11 15:11:22 UTC:
      WD5MHZ-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAS,WD5MHZ
      :!3457.83NS09422.48W# 13.3V 59FW3, ARn, WD5MHZ

      But WHY is it beaconing with a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1???
      You said yourself that it is on one of the highest mountains in
      Arkansas. It will trigger every fill-in digi out to the horizon!
      Consider instead a one hop WIDE2-1.

      With a high digi nearby, consider a one hop WIDE2-1 for your
      iGate too.

      No fixed station should use WIDE1-1. A digi should never use
      WIDE1-1. Nothing that flies should use WIDE1-1... except for
      devices like the OT series that are smart enough too do profile
      switching. and only while it's not at a high elevation.

      Why does it have WD5MHZ in the beacon comment? It's already in
      MYCALL. You could shorten the beacons even further by enabling
      compressed beacons.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
        On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

        > But WHY is it beaconing with a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1???

        C'mon Keith... you're being nasty now... he only asked about the
        digipeat aliases... 8)

        > You said yourself that it is on one of the highest mountains in
        > Arkansas. It will trigger every fill-in digi out to the horizon!
        > Consider instead a one hop WIDE2-1.

        The T2 can use alternate paths, so you could reduce your impact on the
        RF network by alternating between WIDE2-1 and an empty outgoing path.

        > With a high  digi nearby, consider a one hop WIDE2-1 for your
        > iGate too.

        3 hops is a little on the long side for sure.

        WD5MHZ>APU25N,GAYLOR*,K5CS-12*,WIDE3-1,qAR,KA5MGL:;442.425-R*030027z3458.72N/09419.35Wm442.425
        +

        Sending a repeater object from your home station is less efficient
        than sending it from the digipeater. Especially when you are sending
        the repeater object out via 3 hops. Tunable voice repeater objects
        should only be sent out as far as the repeater can be accessed.
        There's no use in advertising the local repeater 200 miles outside of
        it's coverage area. You can create a script in the T2 to send voice
        repeater objects directly from the digipeater. Since the repeater you
        are advertising is located quite close to the digipeater, if you can
        see the voice repeater object on the screen of your APRS station, you
        probably can work it.

        ;442.425-R*030027z3458.72N/09419.35Wm442.425 +

        The information you are sending is contradictory... the object name
        indicates that the repeater has a negative offset, but the comment
        text at the end seems to be indicating a positive offset.

        There should be a few minor changes to make it a permanent object for
        transmission from the digipeater.

        Here's the information we have about the repeater:

        http://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=05&ID=206

        Of course the information here shows the repeater in the town of
        Greenwood, whereas the location from the object being sent places it
        in the bush on a hill about 3 miles from the WD5MHZ digipeater, which
        is near a site that has towers on the hilltop.

        With the voice repeater spec in hand...

        BTEXT ;FFF.FFxyz*111111zDDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWrTnnn RXXm NETxxxxxx
        MTGxxxxx .........

        Where ;FFF.FFxyz is the frequency, and "xyz" are optional local unique
        characters
        or ;FFF.FF5yz for 5 KHz repeaters and "yz" is one of over 3600
        unique characters A-z, 0-9
        or Example "xyz"s might be -IA for Iowa, -A for Atlanta, *SD
        for SanDiego, etc
        Where *111111z is the pseudo default null Date-Time field for the OBJECT format
        Where DDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWr is the LAT/LONG and "r" symbol for a voice repeater
        Where Tnnn is the tone in Hz (without tenths) and RXXm is the range in Miles
        Where Netxxxxxx is the local weekly net time (if any)
        Where Mtgyyyyy is the monthly club meeting time (if any)
        Where ... are 9 more bytes of optional text that will not be displayed
        on most mobiles but are visible on other clients

        There are a few things to change...

        ;442.425+R*111111z3458.72N/09419.35WrT136 R40m WD5MHZ

        Changed items:

        Positive offset
        Permanent object timestamp
        Icon is a repeater (Unless your repeater actually does Mic-E decoding)
        Added CTCSS tone information
        Added callsign of the repeater

        Here's a script that will send voice repeater objects every 10
        minutes. You can easily vary the time interval to suite your desires.

        On Second
        Increment Counter 1
        If Counter 1 = 1800
        Exec "BEA ;442.425+R*111111z3458.72N/09419.35WrT136 R40m WD5MHZ"
        Set Counter 1 = 0
        End Block
        End Block

        > No fixed station should use WIDE1-1. A digi should never use
        > WIDE1-1. Nothing that flies should use WIDE1-1...

        I'll second that!

        > Why does it have WD5MHZ in the beacon comment? It's already in
        > MYCALL. You could shorten the beacons even further by enabling
        > compressed beacons.

        That could be useful if he was running a tactical alias that better
        described the location of the digipeater, such as HRTFRD. The use of
        tactical aliases makes it easier to visualize the placement of the
        digipeaters. It is much easier to pair HRTFRD with the town of
        Hartford than it is to pair WD5MHZ-1 with Hartford.

        When running a tactical alias, it is important to send position
        reports every 10 minutes in the USA to fulfill the FCC ID requirement
        as your callsign is embedded in the comment section of the position
        reports. With alternating paths of WIDE2-1 and <empty> going every 10
        minutes, you'll end up with less network impact than your current
        WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 network clogging path every 20 minutes.

        PS. Sorry, but Keith and I as well as a number of others from the
        NWAPRS group have been optimizing digipeater settings for well over a
        decade. We're a little fanatical, but squeezing every little bit of
        performance out of the digipeaters is fun for us. As a side effect,
        your local APRS RF network will work better.
      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
          James VE6SRV wrote...

          > C'mon Keith... you're being nasty now... he only asked about the
          > digipeat aliases... 8)

          No, I'm not being nasty. I'm making an observation about a path
          being used by a digipeater. Yes, this is the T2 list, but not
          everyone is on every APRS list out there. I believe that using a
          non-abusive path is important enough to mention it on this list,
          even if you think I'm being nasty.

          > 3 hops is a little on the long side for sure.
          >
          > WD5MHZ>APU25N,GAYLOR*,K5CS-12*,WIDE3-1,qAR,KA5MGL
          :;442.425-R*030027z3458.72N/09419.35Wm442.425 +

          I completely missed that it was a repeater object, but had I
          noticed it, I would have been nasty about that one too. 8-)

          I don't have a D72, but I have had the use of a club-owned one for
          the last week and a half. Having had a chance to play around with
          it, I would actually disagree with the "voice repeater spec". I
          believe it is wrong to use the frequency for the name of the
          object. I would instead use the callsign of the repeater followed
          by -R to indicate at a glance at the station list that it's a
          repeater. Going on and using the "tune" button, it is imperative
          that the frequency is followed by MHz... e.g. 442.425MHz (case
          sensitive) followed by T136 for the tone and + for the offset, so
          my recommendation would be KA5MGL-R for the name of the
          object. I've played with repeater objects generated by a KPC3+,
          beacons from UI-View, from a script running on an IRLP node
          (local club meeting announcements) and an APRS IRLP status
          object, and my conclusion was the same in every case. I felt it
          was actually better to have the callsign for the object name
          instead of the frequency, or of course in the case of an IRLP
          node, IRLP-xxxx with the node number highly visible in the
          station list.

          Yes, I should be saying this over on the APRS SIG, but there
          are lots of T2s out there being used for digipeaters, so this
          should be useful information for those adding repeater objects.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
            On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

            > > C'mon Keith... you're being nasty now...
            >
            > No, I'm not being nasty.

            Sure you are... just like I am!

            > I'm making an observation about a path
            > being used by a digipeater.

            Yeah, but that wasn't asked for. You know how it happens... getting
            labeled as mean and nasty, trying to dictate to others how they should
            run their equipment. (BTW, I am playing a bit of the Devil's advocate
            here as I fully agree with Keith's statements up until now)

            > > WD5MHZ>APU25N,GAYLOR*,K5CS-12*,WIDE3-1,qAR,KA5MGL
            > :;442.425-R*030027z3458.72N/09419.35Wm442.425 +
            >
            > I completely missed that it was a repeater object, but had I
            > noticed it, I would have been nasty about that one too. 8-)
            >
            > I don't have a D72, but I have had the use of a club-owned one for
            > the last week and a half. Having had a chance to play around with
            > it, I would actually disagree with the "voice repeater spec". I
            > believe it is wrong to use the frequency for the name of the
            > object. I would instead use the callsign of the repeater followed
            > by -R to indicate at a glance at the station list that it's a
            > repeater.

            You're swimming upstream here! When you see an object with a frequency
            in it, it is immediately recognizable as repeater object. There aren't
            many assigned callsigns that are all numbers.

            > Going on and using the "tune" button, it is imperative
            > that the frequency is followed by MHz... e.g. 442.425MHz (case
            > sensitive) followed by T136 for the tone and + for the offset, so
            > my recommendation would be KA5MGL-R for the name of the
            > object.

            You've been hitting the beer early today! KA5MGL is another station
            entirely. It was an i-gate about 180 km east of the repeater that
            gated the packet to the internet. You're also mixing up repeater
            objects and QSY information that I am seeing a lot of people doing.
            The guys in Calgary are getting their voice repeater objects all
            screwed up by trying to put QSY information into the repeater objects.
            They are different beasts. Close cousins, but still different.

            > I've played with repeater objects generated by a KPC3+,
            > beacons from UI-View, from a script running on an IRLP node
            > (local club meeting announcements) and an APRS  IRLP status
            > object, and my conclusion was the same in every case. I felt it
            > was actually better to have the callsign for the object name
            > instead of the frequency, or of course in the case of an IRLP
            > node, IRLP-xxxx with the node number highly visible in the
            > station list.

            You're going to have to fight the masses then. I like the frequency in
            the object name where it is highly visible, and very unlikely to be
            mistaken for anything else. If you were local here in Edmonton, and I
            told you to meet me on the VE6HM repeater, the first question out of
            your mouth would be "What's the frequency?". Why go that extra step?
            Why not just say "Hey Keith, meet me on 444.100 MHz.". There's no
            mistaking that I want to meet up with you on the UHF side of that
            repeater, not the VHF side (which uses the same callsign).

            The frequency is the key component of getting communicating. The
            callsign is irrelevant, it is only required for government
            identification purposes. You could jump back one more step... why not
            use the location name for the object? EDMNTN-1 would work (since we're
            using EDMNTN as the digipeater alias). But then which Edmonton
            repeater are you talking about? That adds even more ambiguity to the
            mix as there are a dozen or so repeaters to choose from.

            > Yes, I should be saying this over on the APRS SIG, but there
            > are lots of T2s out there being used for digipeaters, so this
            > should be useful information for those adding repeater objects.

            Indeed, but this isn't really the forum for hashing out proposed
            changes to an established protocol. We should limit the information to
            how to get things implemented in the OpenTracker line in accordance
            with the currently established protocols.

            On the script examples page in the wiki there's an attempt at sending
            a repeater object with what is purported to be a 12 minute interval.
            It in fact sends the object after 10 minutes in a 22 minute repetitive
            cycle.

            The biggest problem with the ease of disseminating information on the
            internet is that very few people attempt to ensure that the
            information being delivered is actually correct.

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
              On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM, redneckmike586@...
              <kd5vxq@...> wrote:

              > Hello Group my t2 is set up as a digi but i think it should be getting more than
              > what it is the call on it is wd5mhz-1 its in one the the highest mt top's in Arkansas

              For further confirmation that the digipeater is hearing things out in
              the wild, here's an excerpt from this evening's propagation reports.

              WD5MHZ-1

              EM24tx (34.9638, -94.3747)

              Destination Location Bearing Distance
              WD5MHZ-2 EM25vd 32 24
              WD5MHZ EM25ue 20 25
              GAYLOR EM25ws 14 90
              K5CS-12 EM35if 73 106
              CLRWTR EM26ud 4 130
              DEGRAY EM34kf 124 144
              DECATU EM26sh 357 149
              W5BGM EM16rd 304 238
              K8CYJ EM13qr 237 251
              AE5PL-10 EM13rg 227 274
              W5NGU-3 EM13kf 233 318
              W5NGU-4 EM13hl 240 324
              W5BEC-5 EM11jg 213 485

              (These are direct hops, no digipeaters in between, unless there are
              misconfigured digipeaters in the network)

              (As seen here: www.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ham/aprs/path.cgi?map=na)
            • Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
                James VE6SRV wrote...

                > I fully agree with Keith's statements up until now)

                Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead!

                > You're swimming upstream here! When you see an object
                > with a frequency in it, it is immediately recognizable as
                > repeater object. There aren't many assigned callsigns that
                > are all numbers.

                Perhaps, and I agree that to a human, a bunch of numbers will look
                like a frequency... but someone with a D72 (and (I assume a D710
                but can only guess about a TM-350R) can NOT hit the tune / QSY
                button to automatically go to that frequency with the correct
                offset and tone entered for them. It was only after I had the use
                of the D72 that I was able to play around with a few things and
                see if they worked or not. With the frequency as the name of
                the object, I was left with a bunch of manual work to dial in a
                frequency, tone and offset... not all radios do the offset
                automatically. I can certainly do that, and hopefully most hams
                can, but I do know that have trouble even going from memory to
                VFO mode. When all they have to is hit a "tune" button, it's quick
                and exact. Admittedly, only three radios are capable of this right
                now, but for those that have them, it adds a whole level of
                convenience.

                > You've been hitting the beer early today! KA5MGL is another
                > station entirely...

                Oh well, as long as Mike knows the callsign to enter in the
                repeater object!

                > You're going to have to fight the masses then. I like the
                > frequency in the object name where it is highly visible, and
                > very unlikely to be mistaken for anything else. If you were
                > local here in Edmonton, and I told you to meet me on the
                > VE6HM repeater, the first question out of your mouth would
                > be "What's the frequency?"

                Not if there was already a repeater object advertising its
                frequency, tone, offset and callsign. Of course, there's always
                the possibility that I wouldn't want to talk to any hams in
                Edmonton!

                > Why go that extra step? Why not just say "Hey Keith, meet me on
                > 444.100 MHz.". There's no mistaking that I want to meet up with
                > you on the UHF side of that repeater, not the VHF side (which
                > uses the same callsign).

                Yes, frequencies work for me on voice. If I was yakking with
                someone else with a D72, D710 or an FM-350R, they could QSY
                as many times as they wanted to and I could press a button or two
                and join them with no confusion.

                > The frequency is the key component of getting communicating.
                > The callsign is irrelevant, it is only required for government
                > identification purposes.

                I take pride in knowing the callsign of local repeaters and
                referring to them by callsign. Sure, the government likes us to
                identify too, but I take pride in my callsign as well as well as
                what is around me. If I'm trying to get a visitor over to a
                particular repeater, I'll give them the frequency AND the
                callsign.

                The only reason I raised the subject of object names for repeaters
                is that I've had a chance to play around with a D72 and seen why
                the recommended settings just did NOT work.

                > You could jump back one more step... why not use the location
                > name for the object? EDMNTN-1 would work (since we're using
                > EDMNTN as the digipeater alias). But then which Edmonton
                > repeater are you talking about? That adds even more ambiguity
                > to the mix as there are a dozen or so repeaters to choose from.

                You can name it what you want, but I would recommend the callsign
                followed by -R and I would recommend entering the frequency as
                e.g. "147.320MHz" so people with the mentioned radios can just hit
                the tune / QSY button to go there. The tone and offset information
                follows the frequency. There's nothing to stop you from naming the
                object the same as the frequency to keep you happy and still
                having the frequency in the proper format in the comment for the
                benefit of the growing number of D72 / D710 / FTM-350R users.

                > Indeed, but this isn't really the forum for hashing out proposed
                > changes to an established protocol...

                I'll type up a note for the APRS SIG sometime. My suggests are
                based on what DOES work in a D72. I can only assume that the D710
                will be exactly the same. I'm making more of an assumption about
                the Yaesu, but perhaps someone can comment about that over on the
                APRS SIG. I was perfectly happy with the recommended settings for
                repeater objects until I found out they didn't work on a D72.

                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
                  On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                  >> I fully agree with Keith's statements up until now)
                  >
                  > Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead!

                  Where's the fun in that?

                  >> The frequency is the key component of getting communicating.
                  >> The callsign is irrelevant, it is only required for government
                  >> identification purposes.
                  >
                  > I take pride in knowing the callsign of local repeaters and
                  > referring to them by callsign. Sure, the government likes us to
                  > identify too, but I take pride in my callsign as well as well as
                  > what is around me. If I'm trying to get a visitor over to a
                  > particular repeater, I'll give them the frequency AND the
                  > callsign.

                  That's fine and dandy, but you can't dial in a callsign and have a
                  radio magically find the frequency. I too know callsigns and
                  frequencies of the local machines, but when in a new area, and given a
                  bunch of useless information, I have to work hard to discard the
                  useless information, and try and pick out the useful info from the
                  rest. Callsign, location, repeater radio type, controller version,
                  linked frequencies, number of backup batteries, etc are all nice
                  things to know, but the number one thing you need is the frequency
                  that the repeater operates on. That's available right on the display
                  in the name of the object.

                  The concept behind repeater objects is to get the information to the
                  visitor to the area, not the knowledgeable local who probably already
                  has the repeater programmed into their radio memories.

                  > The only reason I raised the subject of object names for repeaters
                  > is that I've had a chance to play around with a D72 and seen why
                  > the recommended settings just did NOT work.

                  It works on my D72 and D710.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
                    On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                    > Destination     Location        Bearing Distance

                    WD5MHZ-1 EM24tx 54 497

                    Another good long hop.

                    2012-03-12 04:53:24
                    N5TEQ-10>APRS,WD5MHZ-1,CLRWTR*,WIDE3-1,qAR,AC0JK-5:!3228.57NN09850.35W#PHG7440
                    N5TEQ Eastlan

                    Of course, there are enhanced conditions in the area this evening, as
                    many digipeaters in the area are catching some really long haul
                    packets.

                    N5TEQ-10 is running TRACE3-3 as an alternating path... no longer
                    supported, but sadly, still in use.

                  • Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                      James VE6SRV wrote...

                      > It works on my D72 and D710.

                      Then I must be doing something wrong. I could only get the
                      D72 to "tune" to the frequency embedded in the repeater
                      object if the format was e,g, 147.320MHz and I found it to
                      be case sensitive too.

                      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                        On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                        > Then I must be doing something wrong. I could only get the
                        > D72 to "tune" to the frequency embedded in the repeater
                        > object if the format was e,g, 147.320MHz and I found it to
                        > be case sensitive too.

                        Case sensitivity is part of the specification. There are other things
                        in APRS that are case sensitive, so does that make them broken as
                        well? There are details that are conveyed due to the case of specific
                        characters in the specification.

                        It's incorrect to consider a packet format incorrect just because of a
                        problem with the implementation of the decoding of that specification
                        in a specific piece of hardware as well. Modifying the specification
                        to work around limitations in a hardware implementation does not make
                        the specification wrong.

                      • Fred Hillhouse
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                          Does the D72 have to be in VFO mode to use the frequency in the name?

                          I think the FTM-350, the frequency object can only be tuned if the radio is in VFO mode. Two locals have been playing with those radios and discovered it.

                          Best regards,
                          Fred, N7FMH

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                            UNCAN kicks out 3 repeater objects [actually 4, but it is 1-1/4M]. In our testing, the Kenwood TM-D710 and the Yaesu FTM-350 can tune to the objects. The TH-D72 was not tested but I suspect it operates the same as its sibling.

                            Best regards,
                            Fred, N7FMH

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                              On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                              > Does the D72 have to be in VFO mode to use the frequency in the name?

                              No it does not have to be in VFO mode, you can have a memory pulled up
                              on screen. However, when you TUNE or QSY (two different concepts), the
                              radio will get moved to VFO mode to enable access to the frequency. If
                              the radio stayed in memory mode, you would have to have a memory
                              configured that matched the information in the received packet.

                              It's no different than manual entry of frequency, offset, and tone
                              information into the radio, except that the radio fills in the
                              information for you.

                            • Keith VE7GDH
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                                James VE6SRV wrote...

                                > Case sensitivity is part of the specification. There are other
                                > things in APRS that are case sensitive, so does that make them
                                > broken as well? There are details that are conveyed due to the
                                > case of specific characters in the specification.

                                If you agree that MHz is case sensitive in the frequency for a
                                repeater object, would you also consider the usage of beaconing a
                                repeater object is incorrect if it is just plain missing the MHz?
                                That is my point. If you beacon a repeater object where the only
                                place the frequency is shown is in the name of the object, it is
                                unusable for users of current crop of tune/QSY radios, namely the
                                TH-D72A/E, TM-D710A/E and the FTM-350AR. Yes, a human
                                can look at the frequency and (laboriously) dial in the frequency,
                                offset and tone but why go out of your way to remove some
                                extremely useful functionality in this new crop of radios?

                                > It's incorrect to consider a packet format incorrect just
                                > because of a problem with the implementation of the decoding
                                > of that specification in a specific piece of hardware as well.
                                > Modifying the specification to work around limitations in a
                                > hardware implementation does not make the specification wrong.

                                The specification itself is a moving target, and a number of times
                                changes have been recommended by Bob himself to fine tune it
                                to match Kenwood's implementation of his recommendations to
                                them. The new radios require a particular format to be able to
                                use the tune/QSY button. I'm not going to intentionally do
                                something to prevent them from being used to the fullest extent.
                                The format shown on the following page agrees with you...

                                www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

                                and the following page gets it right (mostly except for the
                                example of D256 which doesn't exist and a few other odds'n'ends)
                                and is compatible with the D72, D710 and FTM-350AR. That
                                is the route I will take. I didn't invent it. I just borrowed a
                                D72 and found what works and what doesn't. The "frequency
                                spec" page emphasizes FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz but
                                does also show the frequency for the object name... but you
                                can't put MHz there to make it tuneable. Perhaps a compromise
                                would be to have the frequency in the object name to keep
                                you happy (and those that don't have a D72 etc.) and to also
                                have a tuneable frequency in the beacon comment. I would still
                                prefer to see the callsign but would fight more for a tuneable
                                frequency in the comment rather than leaving it out to spite
                                owners of the "new" tune/QSY capable radios.

                                www.aprs.org/info/freqspec.txt

                                Anyway, enough of this. I'll type up a note for the APRS SIG
                                when I get a chance.

                                73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                ve7gdh@...
                              • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                                  Completing the off-topic thread here, why not put the frequency as the
                                  object name so that it shows up for the human in the readable station
                                  list AND put the FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz (or whatever case is correct)
                                  in the comment for use by the TUNE/QSY function?

                                  Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Decloaking for comments...

                                • Keith VE7GDH
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                                    Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

                                    > why not put the frequency as the object name so that it shows up
                                    > for the human in the readable station list AND put the
                                    > FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz (or whatever case is correct) in the
                                    > comment for use by the TUNE/QSY function?

                                    That is what I said. Scroll way down below your "top-posted
                                    non-edited for brevity" reply to the last paragraph. 8-). My
                                    preference would be to use the callsign for the object name, but
                                    the above compromise would allow the TUNE/QSY function to work.

                                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                                      On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                                      > If you agree that MHz is case sensitive in the frequency for a
                                      > repeater object, would you also consider the usage of beaconing a
                                      > repeater object is incorrect if it is just plain missing the MHz?

                                      I don't agree with the first part of the statement, so I don't agree
                                      with the second half either.

                                      BTEXT ;FFF.FFxyz*111111zDDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWrTnnn RXXm NETxxxxxx
                                      MTGxxxxx .........

                                      There is no specification for MHz as part of a repeater object.

                                      > That is my point. If you beacon a repeater object where the only
                                      > place the frequency is shown is in the name of the object, it is
                                      > unusable for users of current crop of tune/QSY radios, namely the
                                      > TH-D72A/E, TM-D710A/E and the FTM-350AR.

                                      It works on mine... 146.70-JE, 147.375+E, 145.250-R, 146.910-R,
                                      145.210-R, 147.06-HM, 146.64-SK, 145.45-HO repeater objects are all in
                                      the list of stations in my D72. All of them work.

                                      > The specification itself is a moving target, and a number of times
                                      > changes have been recommended by Bob himself to fine tune it
                                      > to match Kenwood's implementation of his recommendations to
                                      > them. The new radios require a particular format to be able to
                                      > use the tune/QSY button.

                                      That's a problem with one person modifying specifications to match a
                                      single manufacturer's implementation. By modifying the specification
                                      in such a manner, it makes it nearly impossible for other
                                      manufacturer's to design their equipment to meet the specification.
                                      That can lead to a huge problem for the protocol overall, as one
                                      manufacturer receives preferential treatment, possibly leading the
                                      other manufacturer's to abandon attempting to support that same
                                      protocol.

                                      > The format shown on the following page agrees with you...
                                      >
                                      > www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

                                      Correct, since that is the "definitive" page describing the voice
                                      repeater object definition.

                                      > and the following page gets it right (mostly except for the
                                      > example of D256 which doesn't exist and a few other odds'n'ends)
                                      > and is compatible with the D72, D710 and FTM-350AR. That
                                      > is the route I will take. I didn't invent it.

                                      You do realize that there are two (2) methods of specifying frequency
                                      information, do you not? I have been repeating this over and over
                                      again, but you keep appearing to be combining the two methods into a
                                      single concept. Voice repeater objects and the QSY information format
                                      are not one and the same.

                                      The second page you cite: http://www.aprs.org/info/freqspec.txt lays
                                      out both formats under totally different headings.

                                      The first paragraph of the section on APRS frequency formats describes
                                      the two formats.

                                      ********************************

                                      APRS FREQUENCY FORMATS:
                                      -----------------------

                                      There are two Frequency formats. The POSITION COMMENT format includes
                                      the frequency as FFF.FFFMHz in the free field text of a normal
                                      position or object report as noted above. The other is called the
                                      OBJECT format because it puts the Frequency in the OBJECT NAME using
                                      the format of FFF.FFxyz so that it shows up very clearly on the
                                      radio's station list. Of course, an object can also have a frequency
                                      in its position comment as well. If both the object name and the
                                      comment contain a frequency, then the name is considered the transmit
                                      frequency for the object and the frequency in its comment text is
                                      its split receive frequency.

                                      ********************************

                                      > I just borrowed a
                                      > D72 and found what works and what  doesn't. The "frequency
                                      > spec" page emphasizes FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz

                                      For the POSITION COMMENT format.

                                      > but does also show the frequency for the object name...

                                      For the VOICE REPEATER FREQUENCY OBJECTS format.

                                      > but you can't put MHz there to make it tuneable.

                                      You don't need to, the radio will tune to the frequency embedded
                                      within the object name.

                                      > Perhaps a  compromise
                                      > would be to have the frequency in the object name to keep
                                      > you happy

                                      Not me, the APRS VOICE REPEATER FREQUENCY OBJECT specification.

                                      > (and those that don't have a D72 etc.) and to also
                                      > have a tuneable frequency in the beacon comment.

                                      As described in the above quote:

                                      *******************************
                                      the name is considered the transmit frequency for the object and the
                                      frequency in its comment text is its split receive frequency.
                                      *******************************

                                      > I would still
                                      > prefer to see the callsign but would fight more for a tuneable
                                      > frequency in the comment rather than leaving it out to spite
                                      > owners of the "new" tune/QSY capable radios.

                                      There's no spite involved... the callsign can be included in the
                                      comment portion of the object if so desired.

                                      > Anyway, enough of this. I'll type up a note for the APRS SIG
                                      > when I get a chance.

                                      That would be a good place to discuss the issue, but it would be best
                                      to get a good handle on the current implementation before suggesting
                                      changes.

                                    • Keith VE7GDH
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                                        James VE6SRV wrote...

                                        Obviously, this has gone on too long on the OT list, but...

                                        > It works on mine... 146.70-JE, 147.375+E, 145.250-R, 146.910-R,
                                        > 145.210-R, 147.06-HM, 146.64-SK, 145.45-HO repeater objects
                                        > are all in the list of stations in my D72. All of them work.

                                        None of them work on the D72 that I have here. I tried every one
                                        from above (copied and pasted) as object names and in a beacon
                                        comment and the tune function didn't work with a single one.

                                        What does work in the D72 that I have here (actually two of
                                        them I have tried now) is FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz
                                        in the comment.

                                        As I mentioned. I'll post on the APRS SIG when I have a moment.

                                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 14, 2012
                                          On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                                          > None of them work on the D72 that I have here. I tried every one
                                          > from above (copied and pasted) as object names and in a beacon
                                          > comment and the tune function didn't work with a single one.

                                          Then you have something wrong happening there.

                                        • redneckmike586@sbcglobal.net
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 22, 2012
                                            Hey James,
                                            I just read this i thought i had it set up to send email anyways on the script how do i put this in the T2 do i copy and paste to the Script editor or how do i do this? I have never done a script like this one.

                                            Thanks
                                            Mike Henry
                                            wd5mhz
                                            On Second

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 22, 2012
                                              On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM, redneckmike586@...
                                              <kd5vxq@...> wrote:

                                              >  I just read this i thought i had it set up to send email

                                              To have the digipeater send email messages, you would need to have a
                                              script configured that initiates the message. If however you are
                                              talking about having the digipeater respond to remote commands sent by
                                              APRS messages, that would require having authorized remote operator
                                              callsigns assigned in the AUTH list.

                                              > anyways on the script how do i put this in the T2 do i copy and paste
                                              > to the Script editor or how do i do this? I have never done a script like this one.

                                              You'll need to enter the script into the script editor manually when
                                              on site. You can't just cut and paste the script into the editor. You
                                              have to go into the script editor, and click on the "On Second" button
                                              to get the first line to enter into the script window. Then you need
                                              to select "Counter 1" in "A" then press the "Increment A" button to
                                              get the second line. Then you'll need to enter "1800" into "C" and
                                              then press the "IF A = C" button to get the third line.

                                              You should be getting the idea... it's a little weird when you first
                                              get into using this script editor, but if you have any assembly
                                              language experience, it's kind of reminds you of that... You have to
                                              set your variables up, and then call the operation.

                                              >  On Second
                                              >>   Increment Counter 1
                                              >>   If Counter 1 = 1800
                                              >>     Exec "BEA ;442.425+R*111111z3458.72N/09419.35WrT136 R40m WD5MHZ"
                                              >>     Set Counter 1 = 0
                                              >>   End Block
                                              >> End Block

                                              Scott has a utility to dump the script as patch commands, but I have
                                              not been successful at patching a new script into the remote unit. I'm
                                              a little leery of trying to do so because of the ease of screwing up
                                              much more than just the scripts. The patch commands that Scott creates
                                              are too long to send as APRS messages, so I had to cut each line into
                                              two pieces, inserting new addresses as well. I sent all of that to my
                                              remote unit, and didn't get any joy.

                                              If the patch utility made shorter lines, and then when you sent a
                                              patch command to a remote unit, if it responded that it got the patch
                                              command successfully, I would be much less apprehensive about using
                                              the patch. Making the patch lines shorter, and adding a CRC checksum
                                              as the last value per line would allow the remote unit to check to see
                                              if the patch command arrived intact, and be able to send back a
                                              confirmation response letting you know that the command was received
                                              successfully.

                                              I do some fairly extensive scripting on my digipeaters, and when I
                                              screw up my scripts, or want to make a change, I end up having to
                                              drive back out to the digipeater. I have digipeaters that are up to 5
                                              hours away now, so it's really a pain to have to return to the site to
                                              fix a script up. I can make just about every other change to the
                                              digipeater remotely, scripting and profile switching settings remain a
                                              road trip item for me.

                                              If you send me the config that you have saved from WD5MHZ-2 I can load
                                              it up here and have a look at it to see what you have setup for
                                              AUTHLIST and scripting currently. I think your AUTHLIST is empty...

                                            • redneckmike586@sbcglobal.net
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 23, 2012
                                                Hey James can you send me your email and i will send you the config file. my email is wd5mhz@...
                                                Also i should have been clear on the group email i dont want the digi to send email i had the settings for the group web only instead of send email so i didnt think anyone responded to the post lol sorry

                                                Thanks
                                                Mike Henry
                                                wd5mhz