Digi Question

  • redneckmike586@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 9, 2012
      Hello Group my t2 is set up as a digi but i think it should be getting more than what it is the call on it is wd5mhz-1 its in one the the highest mt top's in Arkansas can someone check the settings to make sure i have it set up correctly
      Alias Hops preempt id Enabled
      SAR 7 Checked Checked checked

      WIDE 3 nothing checked checked

      AR 7 nothing checked checked

      Thanks
      Mike Henry
      wd5mhz
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 10, 2012
        On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM, redneckmike586@...
        <kd5vxq@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group my t2 is set up as a digi but i think it should be getting more than
        > what it is the call on it is wd5mhz-1 its in one the the highest mt top's in Arkansas

        What are you basing this "thought" on?

        http://aprs.fi/heard/a/WD5MHZ-1

        In the last 10 days, the station has handled 32 stations
        quickly/uniquely enough to get those packets to the internet before
        any other path, and from those 32 stations, 1326 packets have been
        handled.

        Last month, there were 96 stations handled quickly/uniquely enough to
        get recorded in the APRS-IS stream.

        Have you listened to the digipeater via RF to hear how many packets it
        handles? You're i-gate is gating about 1/3 of the packets from the
        digipeater, so you should be able to hear all the packets that it is
        handling. (Which of course is only a fraction of the packets that it
        will be able to hear.)

        If you were running APRSISCE/32, Lynn could create a REAL digipeater
        heard list from the packets heard being digipeated by the station,
        instead the highly filtered feed found on the APRS-IS stream, where
        every packet but the first gated gets thrown away.

        APRSISCE/32 has the capability of showing all of the paths that
        packets are heard via, which allows you to see where the digipeater
        can hear, and where you can hear packets from/through the digipeater.
        This is a very important thing to be able to see if you are interested
        in knowing the capabilities of the infrastructure.

        The information available via the internet is but a small fraction of
        the information available on RF.

      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
          Mike WD5MHZ wrote...

          > My T2 is set up as a digi but I think it should be getting more
          > than what it is the call on it is WD5MHZ-1 it's in one the the
          > highest mt tops in Arkansas can someone check the settings to
          > make sure I have it set up correctly
          >
          > Alias Hops preempt id Enabled
          > SAR 7 checked checked checked
          > WIDE 3 nothing checked checked
          > AR 7 nothing checked checked

          They look like pretty normal settings... SARn-N up to 7 hops
          with pre-emptive digipeating turned on, WIDEn-N up to 3 hops,
          and ARn-N (SSn-N) up to 7 hops.

          As for what you have digi'd (and made it to an iGate)... you seem
          to be hearing quite a few stations. scording to DB0ANF.de. Click
          on the "down" arrow by "last heard" too see the most recently
          heard stations.

          www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/digiusers-WD5MHZ-1

          http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=WD5MHZ-1&limit=25

          2012-03-11 15:11:22 UTC:
          WD5MHZ-1>APOT2A,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAS,WD5MHZ
          :!3457.83NS09422.48W# 13.3V 59FW3, ARn, WD5MHZ

          But WHY is it beaconing with a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1???
          You said yourself that it is on one of the highest mountains in
          Arkansas. It will trigger every fill-in digi out to the horizon!
          Consider instead a one hop WIDE2-1.

          With a high digi nearby, consider a one hop WIDE2-1 for your
          iGate too.

          No fixed station should use WIDE1-1. A digi should never use
          WIDE1-1. Nothing that flies should use WIDE1-1... except for
          devices like the OT series that are smart enough too do profile
          switching. and only while it's not at a high elevation.

          Why does it have WD5MHZ in the beacon comment? It's already in
          MYCALL. You could shorten the beacons even further by enabling
          compressed beacons.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
            On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

            > But WHY is it beaconing with a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1???

            C'mon Keith... you're being nasty now... he only asked about the
            digipeat aliases... 8)

            > You said yourself that it is on one of the highest mountains in
            > Arkansas. It will trigger every fill-in digi out to the horizon!
            > Consider instead a one hop WIDE2-1.

            The T2 can use alternate paths, so you could reduce your impact on the
            RF network by alternating between WIDE2-1 and an empty outgoing path.

            > With a high  digi nearby, consider a one hop WIDE2-1 for your
            > iGate too.

            3 hops is a little on the long side for sure.

            WD5MHZ>APU25N,GAYLOR*,K5CS-12*,WIDE3-1,qAR,KA5MGL:;442.425-R*030027z3458.72N/09419.35Wm442.425
            +

            Sending a repeater object from your home station is less efficient
            than sending it from the digipeater. Especially when you are sending
            the repeater object out via 3 hops. Tunable voice repeater objects
            should only be sent out as far as the repeater can be accessed.
            There's no use in advertising the local repeater 200 miles outside of
            it's coverage area. You can create a script in the T2 to send voice
            repeater objects directly from the digipeater. Since the repeater you
            are advertising is located quite close to the digipeater, if you can
            see the voice repeater object on the screen of your APRS station, you
            probably can work it.

            ;442.425-R*030027z3458.72N/09419.35Wm442.425 +

            The information you are sending is contradictory... the object name
            indicates that the repeater has a negative offset, but the comment
            text at the end seems to be indicating a positive offset.

            There should be a few minor changes to make it a permanent object for
            transmission from the digipeater.

            Here's the information we have about the repeater:

            http://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/details.php?state_id=05&ID=206

            Of course the information here shows the repeater in the town of
            Greenwood, whereas the location from the object being sent places it
            in the bush on a hill about 3 miles from the WD5MHZ digipeater, which
            is near a site that has towers on the hilltop.

            With the voice repeater spec in hand...

            BTEXT ;FFF.FFxyz*111111zDDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWrTnnn RXXm NETxxxxxx
            MTGxxxxx .........

            Where ;FFF.FFxyz is the frequency, and "xyz" are optional local unique
            characters
            or ;FFF.FF5yz for 5 KHz repeaters and "yz" is one of over 3600
            unique characters A-z, 0-9
            or Example "xyz"s might be -IA for Iowa, -A for Atlanta, *SD
            for SanDiego, etc
            Where *111111z is the pseudo default null Date-Time field for the OBJECT format
            Where DDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWr is the LAT/LONG and "r" symbol for a voice repeater
            Where Tnnn is the tone in Hz (without tenths) and RXXm is the range in Miles
            Where Netxxxxxx is the local weekly net time (if any)
            Where Mtgyyyyy is the monthly club meeting time (if any)
            Where ... are 9 more bytes of optional text that will not be displayed
            on most mobiles but are visible on other clients

            There are a few things to change...

            ;442.425+R*111111z3458.72N/09419.35WrT136 R40m WD5MHZ

            Changed items:

            Positive offset
            Permanent object timestamp
            Icon is a repeater (Unless your repeater actually does Mic-E decoding)
            Added CTCSS tone information
            Added callsign of the repeater

            Here's a script that will send voice repeater objects every 10
            minutes. You can easily vary the time interval to suite your desires.

            On Second
            Increment Counter 1
            If Counter 1 = 1800
            Exec "BEA ;442.425+R*111111z3458.72N/09419.35WrT136 R40m WD5MHZ"
            Set Counter 1 = 0
            End Block
            End Block

            > No fixed station should use WIDE1-1. A digi should never use
            > WIDE1-1. Nothing that flies should use WIDE1-1...

            I'll second that!

            > Why does it have WD5MHZ in the beacon comment? It's already in
            > MYCALL. You could shorten the beacons even further by enabling
            > compressed beacons.

            That could be useful if he was running a tactical alias that better
            described the location of the digipeater, such as HRTFRD. The use of
            tactical aliases makes it easier to visualize the placement of the
            digipeaters. It is much easier to pair HRTFRD with the town of
            Hartford than it is to pair WD5MHZ-1 with Hartford.

            When running a tactical alias, it is important to send position
            reports every 10 minutes in the USA to fulfill the FCC ID requirement
            as your callsign is embedded in the comment section of the position
            reports. With alternating paths of WIDE2-1 and <empty> going every 10
            minutes, you'll end up with less network impact than your current
            WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 network clogging path every 20 minutes.

            PS. Sorry, but Keith and I as well as a number of others from the
            NWAPRS group have been optimizing digipeater settings for well over a
            decade. We're a little fanatical, but squeezing every little bit of
            performance out of the digipeaters is fun for us. As a side effect,
            your local APRS RF network will work better.
          • Keith VE7GDH
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
              James VE6SRV wrote...

              > C'mon Keith... you're being nasty now... he only asked about the
              > digipeat aliases... 8)

              No, I'm not being nasty. I'm making an observation about a path
              being used by a digipeater. Yes, this is the T2 list, but not
              everyone is on every APRS list out there. I believe that using a
              non-abusive path is important enough to mention it on this list,
              even if you think I'm being nasty.

              > 3 hops is a little on the long side for sure.
              >
              > WD5MHZ>APU25N,GAYLOR*,K5CS-12*,WIDE3-1,qAR,KA5MGL
              :;442.425-R*030027z3458.72N/09419.35Wm442.425 +

              I completely missed that it was a repeater object, but had I
              noticed it, I would have been nasty about that one too. 8-)

              I don't have a D72, but I have had the use of a club-owned one for
              the last week and a half. Having had a chance to play around with
              it, I would actually disagree with the "voice repeater spec". I
              believe it is wrong to use the frequency for the name of the
              object. I would instead use the callsign of the repeater followed
              by -R to indicate at a glance at the station list that it's a
              repeater. Going on and using the "tune" button, it is imperative
              that the frequency is followed by MHz... e.g. 442.425MHz (case
              sensitive) followed by T136 for the tone and + for the offset, so
              my recommendation would be KA5MGL-R for the name of the
              object. I've played with repeater objects generated by a KPC3+,
              beacons from UI-View, from a script running on an IRLP node
              (local club meeting announcements) and an APRS IRLP status
              object, and my conclusion was the same in every case. I felt it
              was actually better to have the callsign for the object name
              instead of the frequency, or of course in the case of an IRLP
              node, IRLP-xxxx with the node number highly visible in the
              station list.

              Yes, I should be saying this over on the APRS SIG, but there
              are lots of T2s out there being used for digipeaters, so this
              should be useful information for those adding repeater objects.

              73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
                On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                > > C'mon Keith... you're being nasty now...
                >
                > No, I'm not being nasty.

                Sure you are... just like I am!

                > I'm making an observation about a path
                > being used by a digipeater.

                Yeah, but that wasn't asked for. You know how it happens... getting
                labeled as mean and nasty, trying to dictate to others how they should
                run their equipment. (BTW, I am playing a bit of the Devil's advocate
                here as I fully agree with Keith's statements up until now)

                > > WD5MHZ>APU25N,GAYLOR*,K5CS-12*,WIDE3-1,qAR,KA5MGL
                > :;442.425-R*030027z3458.72N/09419.35Wm442.425 +
                >
                > I completely missed that it was a repeater object, but had I
                > noticed it, I would have been nasty about that one too. 8-)
                >
                > I don't have a D72, but I have had the use of a club-owned one for
                > the last week and a half. Having had a chance to play around with
                > it, I would actually disagree with the "voice repeater spec". I
                > believe it is wrong to use the frequency for the name of the
                > object. I would instead use the callsign of the repeater followed
                > by -R to indicate at a glance at the station list that it's a
                > repeater.

                You're swimming upstream here! When you see an object with a frequency
                in it, it is immediately recognizable as repeater object. There aren't
                many assigned callsigns that are all numbers.

                > Going on and using the "tune" button, it is imperative
                > that the frequency is followed by MHz... e.g. 442.425MHz (case
                > sensitive) followed by T136 for the tone and + for the offset, so
                > my recommendation would be KA5MGL-R for the name of the
                > object.

                You've been hitting the beer early today! KA5MGL is another station
                entirely. It was an i-gate about 180 km east of the repeater that
                gated the packet to the internet. You're also mixing up repeater
                objects and QSY information that I am seeing a lot of people doing.
                The guys in Calgary are getting their voice repeater objects all
                screwed up by trying to put QSY information into the repeater objects.
                They are different beasts. Close cousins, but still different.

                > I've played with repeater objects generated by a KPC3+,
                > beacons from UI-View, from a script running on an IRLP node
                > (local club meeting announcements) and an APRS  IRLP status
                > object, and my conclusion was the same in every case. I felt it
                > was actually better to have the callsign for the object name
                > instead of the frequency, or of course in the case of an IRLP
                > node, IRLP-xxxx with the node number highly visible in the
                > station list.

                You're going to have to fight the masses then. I like the frequency in
                the object name where it is highly visible, and very unlikely to be
                mistaken for anything else. If you were local here in Edmonton, and I
                told you to meet me on the VE6HM repeater, the first question out of
                your mouth would be "What's the frequency?". Why go that extra step?
                Why not just say "Hey Keith, meet me on 444.100 MHz.". There's no
                mistaking that I want to meet up with you on the UHF side of that
                repeater, not the VHF side (which uses the same callsign).

                The frequency is the key component of getting communicating. The
                callsign is irrelevant, it is only required for government
                identification purposes. You could jump back one more step... why not
                use the location name for the object? EDMNTN-1 would work (since we're
                using EDMNTN as the digipeater alias). But then which Edmonton
                repeater are you talking about? That adds even more ambiguity to the
                mix as there are a dozen or so repeaters to choose from.

                > Yes, I should be saying this over on the APRS SIG, but there
                > are lots of T2s out there being used for digipeaters, so this
                > should be useful information for those adding repeater objects.

                Indeed, but this isn't really the forum for hashing out proposed
                changes to an established protocol. We should limit the information to
                how to get things implemented in the OpenTracker line in accordance
                with the currently established protocols.

                On the script examples page in the wiki there's an attempt at sending
                a repeater object with what is purported to be a 12 minute interval.
                It in fact sends the object after 10 minutes in a 22 minute repetitive
                cycle.

                The biggest problem with the ease of disseminating information on the
                internet is that very few people attempt to ensure that the
                information being delivered is actually correct.

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
                  <kd5vxq@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Group my t2 is set up as a digi but i think it should be getting more than
                  > what it is the call on it is wd5mhz-1 its in one the the highest mt top's in Arkansas

                  For further confirmation that the digipeater is hearing things out in
                  the wild, here's an excerpt from this evening's propagation reports.

                  WD5MHZ-1

                  EM24tx (34.9638, -94.3747)

                  Destination Location Bearing Distance
                  WD5MHZ-2 EM25vd 32 24
                  WD5MHZ EM25ue 20 25
                  GAYLOR EM25ws 14 90
                  K5CS-12 EM35if 73 106
                  CLRWTR EM26ud 4 130
                  DEGRAY EM34kf 124 144
                  DECATU EM26sh 357 149
                  W5BGM EM16rd 304 238
                  K8CYJ EM13qr 237 251
                  AE5PL-10 EM13rg 227 274
                  W5NGU-3 EM13kf 233 318
                  W5NGU-4 EM13hl 240 324
                  W5BEC-5 EM11jg 213 485

                  (These are direct hops, no digipeaters in between, unless there are
                  misconfigured digipeaters in the network)

                  (As seen here: www.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ham/aprs/path.cgi?map=na)
                • Keith VE7GDH
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
                    James VE6SRV wrote...

                    > I fully agree with Keith's statements up until now)

                    Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead!

                    > You're swimming upstream here! When you see an object
                    > with a frequency in it, it is immediately recognizable as
                    > repeater object. There aren't many assigned callsigns that
                    > are all numbers.

                    Perhaps, and I agree that to a human, a bunch of numbers will look
                    like a frequency... but someone with a D72 (and (I assume a D710
                    but can only guess about a TM-350R) can NOT hit the tune / QSY
                    button to automatically go to that frequency with the correct
                    offset and tone entered for them. It was only after I had the use
                    of the D72 that I was able to play around with a few things and
                    see if they worked or not. With the frequency as the name of
                    the object, I was left with a bunch of manual work to dial in a
                    frequency, tone and offset... not all radios do the offset
                    automatically. I can certainly do that, and hopefully most hams
                    can, but I do know that have trouble even going from memory to
                    VFO mode. When all they have to is hit a "tune" button, it's quick
                    and exact. Admittedly, only three radios are capable of this right
                    now, but for those that have them, it adds a whole level of
                    convenience.

                    > You've been hitting the beer early today! KA5MGL is another
                    > station entirely...

                    Oh well, as long as Mike knows the callsign to enter in the
                    repeater object!

                    > You're going to have to fight the masses then. I like the
                    > frequency in the object name where it is highly visible, and
                    > very unlikely to be mistaken for anything else. If you were
                    > local here in Edmonton, and I told you to meet me on the
                    > VE6HM repeater, the first question out of your mouth would
                    > be "What's the frequency?"

                    Not if there was already a repeater object advertising its
                    frequency, tone, offset and callsign. Of course, there's always
                    the possibility that I wouldn't want to talk to any hams in
                    Edmonton!

                    > Why go that extra step? Why not just say "Hey Keith, meet me on
                    > 444.100 MHz.". There's no mistaking that I want to meet up with
                    > you on the UHF side of that repeater, not the VHF side (which
                    > uses the same callsign).

                    Yes, frequencies work for me on voice. If I was yakking with
                    someone else with a D72, D710 or an FM-350R, they could QSY
                    as many times as they wanted to and I could press a button or two
                    and join them with no confusion.

                    > The frequency is the key component of getting communicating.
                    > The callsign is irrelevant, it is only required for government
                    > identification purposes.

                    I take pride in knowing the callsign of local repeaters and
                    referring to them by callsign. Sure, the government likes us to
                    identify too, but I take pride in my callsign as well as well as
                    what is around me. If I'm trying to get a visitor over to a
                    particular repeater, I'll give them the frequency AND the
                    callsign.

                    The only reason I raised the subject of object names for repeaters
                    is that I've had a chance to play around with a D72 and seen why
                    the recommended settings just did NOT work.

                    > You could jump back one more step... why not use the location
                    > name for the object? EDMNTN-1 would work (since we're using
                    > EDMNTN as the digipeater alias). But then which Edmonton
                    > repeater are you talking about? That adds even more ambiguity
                    > to the mix as there are a dozen or so repeaters to choose from.

                    You can name it what you want, but I would recommend the callsign
                    followed by -R and I would recommend entering the frequency as
                    e.g. "147.320MHz" so people with the mentioned radios can just hit
                    the tune / QSY button to go there. The tone and offset information
                    follows the frequency. There's nothing to stop you from naming the
                    object the same as the frequency to keep you happy and still
                    having the frequency in the proper format in the comment for the
                    benefit of the growing number of D72 / D710 / FTM-350R users.

                    > Indeed, but this isn't really the forum for hashing out proposed
                    > changes to an established protocol...

                    I'll type up a note for the APRS SIG sometime. My suggests are
                    based on what DOES work in a D72. I can only assume that the D710
                    will be exactly the same. I'm making more of an assumption about
                    the Yaesu, but perhaps someone can comment about that over on the
                    APRS SIG. I was perfectly happy with the recommended settings for
                    repeater objects until I found out they didn't work on a D72.

                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
                      On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                      >> I fully agree with Keith's statements up until now)
                      >
                      > Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead!

                      Where's the fun in that?

                      >> The frequency is the key component of getting communicating.
                      >> The callsign is irrelevant, it is only required for government
                      >> identification purposes.
                      >
                      > I take pride in knowing the callsign of local repeaters and
                      > referring to them by callsign. Sure, the government likes us to
                      > identify too, but I take pride in my callsign as well as well as
                      > what is around me. If I'm trying to get a visitor over to a
                      > particular repeater, I'll give them the frequency AND the
                      > callsign.

                      That's fine and dandy, but you can't dial in a callsign and have a
                      radio magically find the frequency. I too know callsigns and
                      frequencies of the local machines, but when in a new area, and given a
                      bunch of useless information, I have to work hard to discard the
                      useless information, and try and pick out the useful info from the
                      rest. Callsign, location, repeater radio type, controller version,
                      linked frequencies, number of backup batteries, etc are all nice
                      things to know, but the number one thing you need is the frequency
                      that the repeater operates on. That's available right on the display
                      in the name of the object.

                      The concept behind repeater objects is to get the information to the
                      visitor to the area, not the knowledgeable local who probably already
                      has the repeater programmed into their radio memories.

                      > The only reason I raised the subject of object names for repeaters
                      > is that I've had a chance to play around with a D72 and seen why
                      > the recommended settings just did NOT work.

                      It works on my D72 and D710.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 11, 2012
                        On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

                        > Destination     Location        Bearing Distance

                        WD5MHZ-1 EM24tx 54 497

                        Another good long hop.

                        2012-03-12 04:53:24
                        N5TEQ-10>APRS,WD5MHZ-1,CLRWTR*,WIDE3-1,qAR,AC0JK-5:!3228.57NN09850.35W#PHG7440
                        N5TEQ Eastlan

                        Of course, there are enhanced conditions in the area this evening, as
                        many digipeaters in the area are catching some really long haul
                        packets.

                        N5TEQ-10 is running TRACE3-3 as an alternating path... no longer
                        supported, but sadly, still in use.

                      • Keith VE7GDH
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                          James VE6SRV wrote...

                          > It works on my D72 and D710.

                          Then I must be doing something wrong. I could only get the
                          D72 to "tune" to the frequency embedded in the repeater
                          object if the format was e,g, 147.320MHz and I found it to
                          be case sensitive too.

                          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                            On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                            > Then I must be doing something wrong. I could only get the
                            > D72 to "tune" to the frequency embedded in the repeater
                            > object if the format was e,g, 147.320MHz and I found it to
                            > be case sensitive too.

                            Case sensitivity is part of the specification. There are other things
                            in APRS that are case sensitive, so does that make them broken as
                            well? There are details that are conveyed due to the case of specific
                            characters in the specification.

                            It's incorrect to consider a packet format incorrect just because of a
                            problem with the implementation of the decoding of that specification
                            in a specific piece of hardware as well. Modifying the specification
                            to work around limitations in a hardware implementation does not make
                            the specification wrong.

                          • Fred Hillhouse
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                              Does the D72 have to be in VFO mode to use the frequency in the name?

                              I think the FTM-350, the frequency object can only be tuned if the radio is in VFO mode. Two locals have been playing with those radios and discovered it.

                              Best regards,
                              Fred, N7FMH

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                                UNCAN kicks out 3 repeater objects [actually 4, but it is 1-1/4M]. In our testing, the Kenwood TM-D710 and the Yaesu FTM-350 can tune to the objects. The TH-D72 was not tested but I suspect it operates the same as its sibling.

                                Best regards,
                                Fred, N7FMH

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 12, 2012
                                  On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

                                  > Does the D72 have to be in VFO mode to use the frequency in the name?

                                  No it does not have to be in VFO mode, you can have a memory pulled up
                                  on screen. However, when you TUNE or QSY (two different concepts), the
                                  radio will get moved to VFO mode to enable access to the frequency. If
                                  the radio stayed in memory mode, you would have to have a memory
                                  configured that matched the information in the received packet.

                                  It's no different than manual entry of frequency, offset, and tone
                                  information into the radio, except that the radio fills in the
                                  information for you.

                                • Keith VE7GDH
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                                    James VE6SRV wrote...

                                    > Case sensitivity is part of the specification. There are other
                                    > things in APRS that are case sensitive, so does that make them
                                    > broken as well? There are details that are conveyed due to the
                                    > case of specific characters in the specification.

                                    If you agree that MHz is case sensitive in the frequency for a
                                    repeater object, would you also consider the usage of beaconing a
                                    repeater object is incorrect if it is just plain missing the MHz?
                                    That is my point. If you beacon a repeater object where the only
                                    place the frequency is shown is in the name of the object, it is
                                    unusable for users of current crop of tune/QSY radios, namely the
                                    TH-D72A/E, TM-D710A/E and the FTM-350AR. Yes, a human
                                    can look at the frequency and (laboriously) dial in the frequency,
                                    offset and tone but why go out of your way to remove some
                                    extremely useful functionality in this new crop of radios?

                                    > It's incorrect to consider a packet format incorrect just
                                    > because of a problem with the implementation of the decoding
                                    > of that specification in a specific piece of hardware as well.
                                    > Modifying the specification to work around limitations in a
                                    > hardware implementation does not make the specification wrong.

                                    The specification itself is a moving target, and a number of times
                                    changes have been recommended by Bob himself to fine tune it
                                    to match Kenwood's implementation of his recommendations to
                                    them. The new radios require a particular format to be able to
                                    use the tune/QSY button. I'm not going to intentionally do
                                    something to prevent them from being used to the fullest extent.
                                    The format shown on the following page agrees with you...

                                    www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

                                    and the following page gets it right (mostly except for the
                                    example of D256 which doesn't exist and a few other odds'n'ends)
                                    and is compatible with the D72, D710 and FTM-350AR. That
                                    is the route I will take. I didn't invent it. I just borrowed a
                                    D72 and found what works and what doesn't. The "frequency
                                    spec" page emphasizes FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz but
                                    does also show the frequency for the object name... but you
                                    can't put MHz there to make it tuneable. Perhaps a compromise
                                    would be to have the frequency in the object name to keep
                                    you happy (and those that don't have a D72 etc.) and to also
                                    have a tuneable frequency in the beacon comment. I would still
                                    prefer to see the callsign but would fight more for a tuneable
                                    frequency in the comment rather than leaving it out to spite
                                    owners of the "new" tune/QSY capable radios.

                                    www.aprs.org/info/freqspec.txt

                                    Anyway, enough of this. I'll type up a note for the APRS SIG
                                    when I get a chance.

                                    73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                    ve7gdh@...
                                  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                                      Completing the off-topic thread here, why not put the frequency as the
                                      object name so that it shows up for the human in the readable station
                                      list AND put the FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz (or whatever case is correct)
                                      in the comment for use by the TUNE/QSY function?

                                      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Decloaking for comments...

                                    • Keith VE7GDH
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                                        Lynn KJ4ERJ wrote...

                                        > why not put the frequency as the object name so that it shows up
                                        > for the human in the readable station list AND put the
                                        > FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz (or whatever case is correct) in the
                                        > comment for use by the TUNE/QSY function?

                                        That is what I said. Scroll way down below your "top-posted
                                        non-edited for brevity" reply to the last paragraph. 8-). My
                                        preference would be to use the callsign for the object name, but
                                        the above compromise would allow the TUNE/QSY function to work.

                                        73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                                          On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                                          > If you agree that MHz is case sensitive in the frequency for a
                                          > repeater object, would you also consider the usage of beaconing a
                                          > repeater object is incorrect if it is just plain missing the MHz?

                                          I don't agree with the first part of the statement, so I don't agree
                                          with the second half either.

                                          BTEXT ;FFF.FFxyz*111111zDDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWrTnnn RXXm NETxxxxxx
                                          MTGxxxxx .........

                                          There is no specification for MHz as part of a repeater object.

                                          > That is my point. If you beacon a repeater object where the only
                                          > place the frequency is shown is in the name of the object, it is
                                          > unusable for users of current crop of tune/QSY radios, namely the
                                          > TH-D72A/E, TM-D710A/E and the FTM-350AR.

                                          It works on mine... 146.70-JE, 147.375+E, 145.250-R, 146.910-R,
                                          145.210-R, 147.06-HM, 146.64-SK, 145.45-HO repeater objects are all in
                                          the list of stations in my D72. All of them work.

                                          > The specification itself is a moving target, and a number of times
                                          > changes have been recommended by Bob himself to fine tune it
                                          > to match Kenwood's implementation of his recommendations to
                                          > them. The new radios require a particular format to be able to
                                          > use the tune/QSY button.

                                          That's a problem with one person modifying specifications to match a
                                          single manufacturer's implementation. By modifying the specification
                                          in such a manner, it makes it nearly impossible for other
                                          manufacturer's to design their equipment to meet the specification.
                                          That can lead to a huge problem for the protocol overall, as one
                                          manufacturer receives preferential treatment, possibly leading the
                                          other manufacturer's to abandon attempting to support that same
                                          protocol.

                                          > The format shown on the following page agrees with you...
                                          >
                                          > www.aprs.org/localinfo.html

                                          Correct, since that is the "definitive" page describing the voice
                                          repeater object definition.

                                          > and the following page gets it right (mostly except for the
                                          > example of D256 which doesn't exist and a few other odds'n'ends)
                                          > and is compatible with the D72, D710 and FTM-350AR. That
                                          > is the route I will take. I didn't invent it.

                                          You do realize that there are two (2) methods of specifying frequency
                                          information, do you not? I have been repeating this over and over
                                          again, but you keep appearing to be combining the two methods into a
                                          single concept. Voice repeater objects and the QSY information format
                                          are not one and the same.

                                          The second page you cite: http://www.aprs.org/info/freqspec.txt lays
                                          out both formats under totally different headings.

                                          The first paragraph of the section on APRS frequency formats describes
                                          the two formats.

                                          ********************************

                                          APRS FREQUENCY FORMATS:
                                          -----------------------

                                          There are two Frequency formats. The POSITION COMMENT format includes
                                          the frequency as FFF.FFFMHz in the free field text of a normal
                                          position or object report as noted above. The other is called the
                                          OBJECT format because it puts the Frequency in the OBJECT NAME using
                                          the format of FFF.FFxyz so that it shows up very clearly on the
                                          radio's station list. Of course, an object can also have a frequency
                                          in its position comment as well. If both the object name and the
                                          comment contain a frequency, then the name is considered the transmit
                                          frequency for the object and the frequency in its comment text is
                                          its split receive frequency.

                                          ********************************

                                          > I just borrowed a
                                          > D72 and found what works and what  doesn't. The "frequency
                                          > spec" page emphasizes FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz

                                          For the POSITION COMMENT format.

                                          > but does also show the frequency for the object name...

                                          For the VOICE REPEATER FREQUENCY OBJECTS format.

                                          > but you can't put MHz there to make it tuneable.

                                          You don't need to, the radio will tune to the frequency embedded
                                          within the object name.

                                          > Perhaps a  compromise
                                          > would be to have the frequency in the object name to keep
                                          > you happy

                                          Not me, the APRS VOICE REPEATER FREQUENCY OBJECT specification.

                                          > (and those that don't have a D72 etc.) and to also
                                          > have a tuneable frequency in the beacon comment.

                                          As described in the above quote:

                                          *******************************
                                          the name is considered the transmit frequency for the object and the
                                          frequency in its comment text is its split receive frequency.
                                          *******************************

                                          > I would still
                                          > prefer to see the callsign but would fight more for a tuneable
                                          > frequency in the comment rather than leaving it out to spite
                                          > owners of the "new" tune/QSY capable radios.

                                          There's no spite involved... the callsign can be included in the
                                          comment portion of the object if so desired.

                                          > Anyway, enough of this. I'll type up a note for the APRS SIG
                                          > when I get a chance.

                                          That would be a good place to discuss the issue, but it would be best
                                          to get a good handle on the current implementation before suggesting
                                          changes.

                                        • Keith VE7GDH
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 13, 2012
                                            James VE6SRV wrote...

                                            Obviously, this has gone on too long on the OT list, but...

                                            > It works on mine... 146.70-JE, 147.375+E, 145.250-R, 146.910-R,
                                            > 145.210-R, 147.06-HM, 146.64-SK, 145.45-HO repeater objects
                                            > are all in the list of stations in my D72. All of them work.

                                            None of them work on the D72 that I have here. I tried every one
                                            from above (copied and pasted) as object names and in a beacon
                                            comment and the tune function didn't work with a single one.

                                            What does work in the D72 that I have here (actually two of
                                            them I have tried now) is FFF.FFFMHz or FFF.FF MHz
                                            in the comment.

                                            As I mentioned. I'll post on the APRS SIG when I have a moment.

                                            73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 14, 2012
                                              On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

                                              > None of them work on the D72 that I have here. I tried every one
                                              > from above (copied and pasted) as object names and in a beacon
                                              > comment and the tune function didn't work with a single one.

                                              Then you have something wrong happening there.

                                            • redneckmike586@sbcglobal.net
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 22, 2012
                                                Hey James,
                                                I just read this i thought i had it set up to send email anyways on the script how do i put this in the T2 do i copy and paste to the Script editor or how do i do this? I have never done a script like this one.

                                                Thanks
                                                Mike Henry
                                                wd5mhz
                                                On Second

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 22, 2012
                                                  On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM, redneckmike586@...
                                                  <kd5vxq@...> wrote:

                                                  >  I just read this i thought i had it set up to send email

                                                  To have the digipeater send email messages, you would need to have a
                                                  script configured that initiates the message. If however you are
                                                  talking about having the digipeater respond to remote commands sent by
                                                  APRS messages, that would require having authorized remote operator
                                                  callsigns assigned in the AUTH list.

                                                  > anyways on the script how do i put this in the T2 do i copy and paste
                                                  > to the Script editor or how do i do this? I have never done a script like this one.

                                                  You'll need to enter the script into the script editor manually when
                                                  on site. You can't just cut and paste the script into the editor. You
                                                  have to go into the script editor, and click on the "On Second" button
                                                  to get the first line to enter into the script window. Then you need
                                                  to select "Counter 1" in "A" then press the "Increment A" button to
                                                  get the second line. Then you'll need to enter "1800" into "C" and
                                                  then press the "IF A = C" button to get the third line.

                                                  You should be getting the idea... it's a little weird when you first
                                                  get into using this script editor, but if you have any assembly
                                                  language experience, it's kind of reminds you of that... You have to
                                                  set your variables up, and then call the operation.

                                                  >  On Second
                                                  >>   Increment Counter 1
                                                  >>   If Counter 1 = 1800
                                                  >>     Exec "BEA ;442.425+R*111111z3458.72N/09419.35WrT136 R40m WD5MHZ"
                                                  >>     Set Counter 1 = 0
                                                  >>   End Block
                                                  >> End Block

                                                  Scott has a utility to dump the script as patch commands, but I have
                                                  not been successful at patching a new script into the remote unit. I'm
                                                  a little leery of trying to do so because of the ease of screwing up
                                                  much more than just the scripts. The patch commands that Scott creates
                                                  are too long to send as APRS messages, so I had to cut each line into
                                                  two pieces, inserting new addresses as well. I sent all of that to my
                                                  remote unit, and didn't get any joy.

                                                  If the patch utility made shorter lines, and then when you sent a
                                                  patch command to a remote unit, if it responded that it got the patch
                                                  command successfully, I would be much less apprehensive about using
                                                  the patch. Making the patch lines shorter, and adding a CRC checksum
                                                  as the last value per line would allow the remote unit to check to see
                                                  if the patch command arrived intact, and be able to send back a
                                                  confirmation response letting you know that the command was received
                                                  successfully.

                                                  I do some fairly extensive scripting on my digipeaters, and when I
                                                  screw up my scripts, or want to make a change, I end up having to
                                                  drive back out to the digipeater. I have digipeaters that are up to 5
                                                  hours away now, so it's really a pain to have to return to the site to
                                                  fix a script up. I can make just about every other change to the
                                                  digipeater remotely, scripting and profile switching settings remain a
                                                  road trip item for me.

                                                  If you send me the config that you have saved from WD5MHZ-2 I can load
                                                  it up here and have a look at it to see what you have setup for
                                                  AUTHLIST and scripting currently. I think your AUTHLIST is empty...

                                                • redneckmike586@sbcglobal.net
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 23, 2012
                                                    Hey James can you send me your email and i will send you the config file. my email is wd5mhz@...
                                                    Also i should have been clear on the group email i dont want the digi to send email i had the settings for the group web only instead of send email so i didnt think anyone responded to the post lol sorry

                                                    Thanks
                                                    Mike Henry
                                                    wd5mhz