Re: Beacon P & Beacon W

  • offtracks1
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2012
      It sends out a position beacon and then the weather with position one second or less after that. Clogs or gets lost in the network at times and some digis will not send the weather beacon along the network.

      Scott KB7DZR

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Jason KG4WSV <kg4wsv@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM, offtracks1 <worldroamer@...> wrote:
      > > I put in the execute command in the script. It will then beacon a "P".
      > > Where do I place Beacon P in the script to get it to work right?
      > >
      > > My end goal is to get the weather beacon to not beacon at the same time of the position beacon.
      >

      > Why two different beacons? Weather should have a position, too.
      >
      > -Jason
      > kg4wsv

    • Tim Cunningham
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
        Scott (KB7DZR),

        You are correct in your assessment. If a position report is sent followed by the weather beacon, it is possible for some digipeaters to act on the initial position report and digipeat that packet while trampling on the weather beacon that follows. Thus, the weather beacon may not be heard because the digipeater is passing the initial position packet and not able to hear the subsequent weather beacon.

        Jason: The weather packet contains position, so it is redundant for a position report to precede a weather beacon that contains position information. That is how it is coded in the T2.

        There are 8 weather stations with T2-135 units installed in Lawrence County, Alabama that exhibit some anomalies with a Peat Brothers Weather station attached. The position report that is sent prior to the weather beacon is not necessary and simply adds extra traffic to the network. The second issue which is much bigger that the previous is the occasional corruption of weather data that is transmitted. I have attempted to help the Lawrence County group, but my time is has been severely limited with constant travel.

        Scott provided an additional program to load that did not seem to help their issue with corrupted data. I have been unable to get back with him to report those results. One of the weather stations that had been connected to a UIDIG TNC worked flawlessly for many years until it was replaced with a T2-135 and the corrupted data started at that point. We know the weather station in this case was reliable, but all 8 weather systems exhibit the same issue. Some more often than others. My hunch is it has more to do with the voltage levels on the serial port that we hope to prove or disprove in the next step. I ran an experiment emulating data captured from a weather station on one of the systems that mis-behave most often and found that RS-232 levels from my desktop transmitting at 10 second intervals for 24 hours showed no corruption of weather data.

        Best Regards,
        Tim - N8DEU

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
          T2 weather packets always include a position - you just don't get a
          separate position packet with the regular symbol and comments if you use
          BEACON W.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
            It should be working in the latest firmware version. The 'development'
            build might actually be older than the released version at this point,
            depending on when I last posted it.

            Scott

            On 3/4/2012 8:47 AM, offtracks1 wrote:
            > Anyone know how to get the Beacon P and Beacon W to work in the T2 with
            > the newest development build?
            >
            > I put in the execute command in the script. It will then beacon a "P".
            > Where do I place Beacon P in the script to get it to work right?
            >
            > My end goal is to get the weather beacon to not beacon at the same time
            > of the position beacon.
            >
            > I had to also scrap the profile switching with voltage change with this
            > build as it would get stuck in profile 2. The normal build works fine
            > with the profile switching. Will give that up to get the weather beacons
            > away from the position beacons.
            >
            > Scott KB7DZR

          • Jason KG4WSV
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
              On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Tim Cunningham <n8deu@...> wrote:

              I have attempted to help the Lawrence County group, but my time is has been severely limited with constant travel.

              hey Tim, let me know if I can help. I'm a bit closer to them than you are, and I'm out of town a lot less. :)  I don't think I know any of those folks, though.

              -Jason
              kg4wsv
            • Tim Cunningham
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2012
                Hi Jason,

                They could use some help since my travel schedule has been maxed for the past 2 years. I can put you in contact with the right team to move forward. They are a great bunch of guys. Let me get back with you off list with some more detail. They will appreciate any help in resolving the occasional to frequent corrupted weather data.

                Thanks,
                Tim - N8DEU

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2012

                  I think it is working now the way I setup the script. I used the latest development build as it was the newest file showing. Tested on my T2 here at home but I do not have a peet brothers weather station here at home to do a full test to see if the weather data will work. Will be some time before I can get it up to the site to make the change.

                  Here is some info on that station, one of 2 remote weather stations we have setup to support the Avalanche center. The T2 is much easier to remotely control then the station with the KPC3 (Mt Howard).
                  ALAKES http://www.josephoregonweather.com/alakes.php
                  I built it and a friend that is closer to it is the sysop.
                  The Peet Brothers has had a very hard time staying together due ice build up at this site. Currently we are waiting for a full replacement anemometer.

                  Thanks
                  Scott KB7DZR