T2-301 otwincfg.exe comm problem

  • TomC
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2012
      I'm trying to get otwincfg to talk with a T2-301 on my Win7 computer.

      Of course that means the first headache was getting a USB to Serial adapter to work -- I finally got a set of drivers that Windows THINKS are working, but...

      When I connect the T2-301 and try to run otwincfg, things just don't work.

      I thought it might be a baud rate mismatch since the USB-serial driver defaults to 9600 while the manual says otwincfg tries to connect at 115,200 so first I tried manually setting the USB serial driver to 115,200 but that didn't help.

      Next I tried checking the Disable Turbo box to make otwincfg try connecting at 19,200 and I manually set the USB Serial driver to 19,200. That at least got things to look like it wanted to work, but...

      When I run otwincfg and select the correct port (COM3) the click the Connect button, a line appears in the bottom of the window that says "Ready to connect. Please reset tracker now." Of course there is nothing about this message in the manual, but the manual does say that otwincfg will attempt to Warm Boot the tracker and that you can perform a "ecold bootf ] power the unit off and power it on again after clicking eConnectf."

      When I cycle the power to the T2-301, otwincfg pops up an error message saying "Communications Error (BL Ver c4)" which is followed a few seconds later by another pop up error message "Can't Open Serial Port" and if I just leave it alone, it keeps opening more "Can't Open Serial Port" boxes every several seconds until I eventually close each of the error messages and then click Cancel in otwincfg.
    • ve6mvp
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2012
        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "TomC" <N4AOF@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to get otwincfg to talk with a T2-301 on my Win7 computer.

        I'm having the identical problem. It was working just fine but I wanted to hookup my Nuvi 350 so I changed port A to Garmin. Turns out the cig lighter cable was defective so it won't work.

        But now I can't get back in to change the port back to serial (or whatever it's default is). I have the Y cable and I've tried both sides.

        <later> I decided to read the Wiki page and realized that I was supposed to cycle the power to the device after getting OTWINCFIG to the COM port screen. Much mucking about trying various things and it suddenly started to connect.
      • yulik4x6hp
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
          Hello,

          I got same message, "Communications Error (BL Ver 00)" with OpenTracker+.

          Did you solved this problem?

          73!! de Yuli 4X6HP

          > When I cycle the power to the T2-301, otwincfg pops up an error message saying "Communications Error (BL Ver c4)" which is followed a few seconds later by another pop up error message "Can't Open Serial Port" and if I just leave it alone, it keeps opening more "Can't Open Serial Port" boxes every several seconds until I eventually close each of the error messages and then click Cancel in otwincfg.

        • N4AOF
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7, 2012
            No luck yet. I've given up trying to guess the wiring of the existing
            homebrew cable that came with the used T2-301 so I've ordered the 'real'
            cable direct from Argent Data (should be here by Monday)

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 8, 2012
              The communications error message means that otwincfg didn't get the
              expected response from the tracker. This might be because the tracker
              isn't hearing the PC. On the OT1+ this might mean a blown MOSFET on the
              RX line, or possibly bad cabling. A cold boot (powering up the tracker
              after you hit 'connect') is always the most reliable way to get the
              tracker into config mode. Note that this doesn't apply to the USB
              trackers since they don't connect over USB until after they've started up.

              The "can't open serial port" message is probably a side-effect of
              otwincfg getting confused during the connect process and not properly
              closing the port. At that point you should close the program and check
              task manager to make sure that it's really gone, and start it again.

              Scott

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8, 2012
                No luck, no how!

                I guess I should have known better than to buy a used unit, "as is" from a seller who claimed he had tested it and it worked.

                As with any ham gear that still uses the ancient serial port, the first problem was being sure that the USB-serial adapter would work right. That did take hunting down drivers that would work on my Win7 machine.

                Then it looked like the problem was probably the original owner's homebrew cable -- hard to guess if it was wired to use with or without a null modem cable -- but either way, no luck trying to talk to the T2-301.

                So then I bought the real T2-301 Serial+Power cable direct from Argent Data. That cable arrived today. Still no luck talking to the T2-301 even with the real cable and a known good null-modem cable.

                All the above attempts were conducted on both my Win7 desktop machine and my XP laptop (I know the USB-Serial adapter works on the laptop because that's what I use to program my Kenwood D710A). I even downloaded a fresh copy of otwincfg.exe just in case my earlier copy might be corrupt.

                NOTHING will let either computer talk to the T2-301.

                Interestingly enough the T2-301 transmits something about once per minute while powered up and connected to the computer, so it isn't totally dead - just brain-dead

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 8, 2012
                  You're welcome to send it in for evaluation. It'll probably be quicker
                  for us to take a look at it here than to keep troubleshooting remotely.

                  Scott

                  On 3/8/2012 12:42 PM, TomC wrote:
                  > No luck, no how!
                  >
                  > I guess I should have known better than to buy a used unit, "as is" from
                  > a seller who claimed he had tested it and it worked.
                  >
                  > As with any ham gear that still uses the ancient serial port, the first
                  > problem was being sure that the USB-serial adapter would work right.
                  > That did take hunting down drivers that would work on my Win7 machine.
                  >
                  > Then it looked like the problem was probably the original owner's
                  > homebrew cable -- hard to guess if it was wired to use with or without a
                  > null modem cable -- but either way, no luck trying to talk to the T2-301.
                  >
                  > So then I bought the real T2-301 Serial+Power cable direct from Argent
                  > Data. That cable arrived today. Still no luck talking to the T2-301 even
                  > with the real cable and a known good null-modem cable.
                  >
                  > All the above attempts were conducted on both my Win7 desktop machine
                  > and my XP laptop (I know the USB-Serial adapter works on the laptop
                  > because that's what I use to program my Kenwood D710A). I even
                  > downloaded a fresh copy of otwincfg.exe just in case my earlier copy
                  > might be corrupt.
                  >
                  > NOTHING will let either computer talk to the T2-301.
                  >
                  > Interestingly enough the T2-301 transmits something about once per
                  > minute while powered up and connected to the computer, so it isn't
                  > totally dead - just brain-dead

                  > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > The communications error message means that otwincfg didn't get the
                  > > expected response from the tracker. This might be because the
                  > > tracker isn't hearing the PC. On the OT1+ this might mean a blown
                  > > MOSFET on the RX line, or possibly bad cabling. A cold boot
                  > > (powering up the tracker after you hit 'connect') is always the
                  > > most reliable way to get the tracker into config mode.

                • Yuli Kaplan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 8, 2012
                    Hello folks,

                    I found and fixed my problem with communication. Our local radio market sold me BS170 MOSFET and not 2N7000 as i asked :) I did not check the lable on the MOSFET and soldered them on the PCB. Scott, thank you for pointing me to RX line MOSFET. Today i have checked the lable, sow BS170, replaced it to 2N7000 and viola. Now it is works very good. Just now finished to upload KISS 4800  firmware. Want to connect OT1+ to APRSIS software. Still looking for OPEN/CLOSE commands. It is look not similar to OTUSB.

                    --
                    ---------------------------
                    Best Regards,

                    2012/3/8 Scott Miller <scott@...>
                    The communications error message means that otwincfg didn't get the
                    expected response from the tracker.  This might be because the tracker
                    isn't hearing the PC.  On the OT1+ this might mean a blown MOSFET on the
                    RX line, or possibly bad cabling.  A cold boot (powering up the tracker
                    after you hit 'connect') is always the most reliable way to get the
                    tracker into config mode.  Note that this doesn't apply to the USB
                    trackers since they don't connect over USB until after they've started up.

                    The "can't open serial port" message is probably a side-effect of
                    otwincfg getting confused during the connect process and not properly
                    closing the port.  At that point you should close the program and check
                    task manager to make sure that it's really gone, and start it again.

                    Scott

                    On 3/7/2012 10:33 AM, yulik4x6hp wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > I got same message, "Communications Error (BL Ver 00)" with OpenTracker+.
                    >
                    > Did you solved this problem?
                    >
                    > 73!! de Yuli 4X6HP
                    >
                    >  > When I cycle the power to the T2-301, otwincfg pops up an error
                    > message saying "Communications Error (BL Ver c4)" which is followed a
                    > few seconds later by another pop up error message "Can't Open Serial
                    > Port" and if I just leave it alone, it keeps opening more "Can't Open
                    > Serial Port" boxes every several seconds until I eventually close each
                    > of the error messages and then click Cancel in otwincfg.
                    >  >

                    <*> Your email settings:
                       Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                       (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                       tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                       tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • TomC
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 9, 2012
                      Sounds good. At this point I suspect that either I'm missing something simple or this thing is a paperweight.

                      If you guys can get it working I don't mind investing a few more bucks in it, but I suppose there is a good chance it is "not economical to repair" as they say.

                      What is the minimum charge for evaluation? I assume you'll let
                      me know the cost of any repair needed above that.

                      Do I send it to the address on your website?
                      Argent Data Systems
                      543 W. Betteravia Rd. Suite H
                      Santa Maria, CA 93455

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 9, 2012
                        Based on the symptoms you're describing I can't imagine it being
                        anything serious.

                        Most of the time we don't charge for minor repairs, and definitely not
                        if it was a failure due to some fault of ours.

                        Scott

                        On 3/9/2012 9:30 AM, TomC wrote:
                        > Sounds good. At this point I suspect that either I'm missing something
                        > simple or this thing is a paperweight.
                        >
                        > If you guys can get it working I don't mind investing a few more bucks
                        > in it, but I suppose there is a good chance it is "not economical to
                        > repair" as they say.
                        >
                        > What is the minimum charge for evaluation? I assume you'll let
                        > me know the cost of any repair needed above that.
                        >
                        > Do I send it to the address on your website?
                        > Argent Data Systems
                        > 543 W. Betteravia Rd. Suite H
                        > Santa Maria, CA 93455

                        > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > You're welcome to send it in for evaluation. It'll probably be
                        > > quicker for us to take a look at it here than to keep
                        > > troubleshooting remotely.
                        > >
                        > > Scott

                      • N4AOF
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 9, 2012
                          It will be in the mail this afternoon, you should receive it by the middle
                          of the week

                          By the way, do you guys plan to offer a pre-made radio cable for the Yaesu
                          mobiles like the one you have for the Kenwood Mobiles (RJ45&speaker jack)?
                          It would be basically the same cable but with different pin outs on the
                          RJ45. (It's amazing that the ham radio industry can't manage to
                          standardize anything).

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 12, 2012
                            > By the way, do you guys plan to offer a pre-made radio cable for the Yaesu
                            > mobiles like the one you have for the Kenwood Mobiles (RJ45&speaker jack)?
                            > It would be basically the same cable but with different pin outs on the
                            > RJ45. (It's amazing that the ham radio industry can't manage to
                            > standardize anything).

                            Eventually - we'll probably have that one built with the next cable
                            reorder. I think we're about out of CT-H5 cables so that might not be
                            too long.

                            Scott
                          • N4AOF
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 12, 2012
                              Good news, thanks. That would make a nice plug-and-play for my Yaesu 1900
                              once I get a couple of bucks ahead to order an OT3

                              BTW, my T2-301 arrived at your shop in Monday's mail.