2 OT2m's blind to each other

  • Brad
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
      I have 2 separate OT2m units each set up with their own radios and Garmin 350's.

      I am able to see call signs of stations all around me but the two units do not seem to see each other.

      I cannot get the call signs of each OT2m to show up on the other OT2m's Garmin 350 as an icon.

      After many hours of troubleshooting, I am at a loss.

      Path on each: Wide1-1, Wide2-2
      Both units are set to digipeat mycall.
      Both units have digipeat enabled for alias "WIDE".

      I can see one unit KE4YOV-9 on Find.u but the other KE4YOV-1 does not appear there.

      I have switched the radios around but nothing changes.

      Any ideas anyone might have would be welcome.

      Thanks!
      KE4YOV (Brad)
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
        On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Brad <bcansler@...> wrote:

        > I have 2 separate OT2m units each set up with their own radios and Garmin 350's.
        >
        > I am able to see call signs of stations all around me but the two units do not seem to see each other.
        >
        > I cannot get the call signs of each OT2m to show up on the other OT2m's Garmin 350 as an icon.
        >
        > After many hours of troubleshooting, I am at a loss.

        What have you done as far as troubleshooting?

        > Path on each:  Wide1-1, Wide2-2
        > Both units are set to digipeat mycall.
        > Both units have digipeat enabled for alias "WIDE".

        The above will have nothing to do with each unit hearing the other as
        they within earshot of each other (making an assumption since you are
        working on both)

        > I can see one unit KE4YOV-9 on Find.u but the other KE4YOV-1 does not appear there.

        So one unit is being decoded by something out there. (W4DEX 27 km away)

        > I have switched the radios around but nothing changes.

        Nothing in that the -9 unit still gets heard and decoded, while -1
        can't be seen?

        > Any ideas anyone might have would be welcome.

        Have you set your transmit levels so that your deviation is set
        properly? Sounds like -9 is right on the edge, and one station out
        there can manage to decode it, while the other is so far out of whack
        that no one can understand what it is saying.

        Without knowing what you have done thus far as far as troubleshooting
        is concerned, it's a crapshoot guessing at what to look at.

      • Keith VE7GDH
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2012
          Brad KE4YOV wrote...

          > I can see one unit KE4YOV-9 on Find.u but the other KE4YOV-1
          > does not appear there. I have switched the radios around but
          > nothing changes.

          It sounds like it is not a radio problem if KE4YOV-9 works OK with
          the radio that's normally connected to KE4YOV-1. It also sounds
          like nothing is decoding KE4YOV-1... i.e. it isn't just KE4YOV-9
          that isn't decoding it. As James suggested, check the deviation,
          butif KE4YOV-1 isn't seeing KE4YOV-9, there may be receive
          problems there too.

          73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
        • Brad
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 19, 2012
            I created a folder in this user group forum called KE4YOV Config and placed two separate config files into the directory. One is named KE4YOV-1 and the other is KE4YOV-9.

            I am digipeating my call and I have WIDE enabled as an alias.

            One of my transmitters (KE4YOV-9) is a v8000 set to 75 watts transmit on a 5/8 whip mounted on a large metal plate in the attic and the other (KE4YOV-1)is a Wouxon HT at 5 watts with rubber duck. Cables were all purchased online from the site Argent recommended so I don't think my issue will be cable related.

            Squelch on both radios is wide open so there is no clipping of the data (OT2m is handling squelch). TX Power is set to high on both radios as well for the same reason.

            I am listening to the audio from 144.390 on yet a third radio (Kenwood TH-28A) and it seems as if the audio from the Wouxun as well as the ICOM V8000 are not the same as the sound I hear coming in from the other stations. The v8000 sounds as if it is keying up but there is no data stream out. The Wouxun sounds as if it is trying to send out something but it is almost as if it gets interrupted or is "dirty".

            Trying something new....

            Deleted all waypoints, favorites, etc... from both Garmin 350's.

            Ok, interesting... When I disconnect the Wouxun from KE4YOV-1 and connect the Kenwood instead, then KE4YOV-1 gets out and I see KE4YOV-1 pop up immediately on BOTH Garmin 350 "Favorite" lists at 0.0mi.

            So both radios are receiving fine and both OT2m's are decoding fine. Both Garmin 350's are receiving the FMI data stream from the OT2m's just fine as well.

            There must have been something wrong with the Wouxun radio. Perhaps they just aren't that good for using in data transmission.

            Ok, good. Now that we have that figured out....

            The only problem I have now is to figure out why the KE4YOV-9 OT2m / V8000 combo is not transmitting data when it keys up. I think if we figure that out, I'm all set.

            Could it be there is something wrong with the encoder on my KE4YOV-9 OT2m? Are there any settings in my config that I should change perhaps?

            The TX led lights up at the appropriate time and I can hear the V8000 key up by listening to the frequency on a third radio but there is no data stream. Just open air when the KE4YOV-9 OT2m should be passing packet audio.

            I really appreciate any ideas. I work 80+ hours a week so I apologize if there are longer than normal gaps in between my postings. I'm thankful for my job but unfortunately I don't get much time to play.

            Cheers!
            Brad

            > Brad KE4YOV wrote...
            >
            > > I can see one unit KE4YOV-9 on Find.u but the other KE4YOV-1
            > > does not appear there. I have switched the radios around but
            > > nothing changes.
            >
            > It sounds like it is not a radio problem if KE4YOV-9 works OK with
            > the radio that's normally connected to KE4YOV-1. It also sounds
            > like nothing is decoding KE4YOV-1... i.e. it isn't just KE4YOV-9
            > that isn't decoding it. As James suggested, check the deviation,
            > butif KE4YOV-1 isn't seeing KE4YOV-9, there may be receive
            > problems there too.
            >
            > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH

          • Brad
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 20, 2012
              Upon further consideration, I have come to the conclusion the problem is likely in the cable between KE4YOV-9 and the V8000.

              I came to that conclusion this morning by switching the radios again between KE4YOV-1 and KE4YOV-9 (placing the V8000 with KE4YOV-1 and the Kenwood TH28A with KE4YOV-9). Immediately, KE4YOV-9 popped up on both Garmin 350's.

              Wow! A v8000 cable issue would explain everything.

              I must admit I'm surprised because the data cable was the one thing I thought I didn't have to worry about since I bought it to match specifically to the V8000.

              Later, when I get some more free time again, I will troubleshoot the cable with a multimeter and see if I can validate where the trouble is in the wiring.

              After all the troubleshooting I've done, it appears the configuration and operation of both the OT2m units as well as the Garmin GPS units are fine with no issues.

              Now that I have this thing figured out I think I may get a FC-301/D and put it on my Cessna 150... These are great little trackers!

              Many thanks for your patience and the great responses on this forum. Argent is a fantastic company with excellent support for a wonderful product and a great hobby!

              73's and kind regards,
              Brad