Re: [tracker2] Re: Nuvi 1490 + FMI-15 + T2-135 = Works!

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
      On 2/3/2012 7:10 AM, vk2ben wrote:
      > I have been using the Nuvi 350 with the Alinco DR-135T, and it's been great, but the '350 is pretty old and low-fi. The lo-def screen is embarrassing when compared to any current smartphones and is a bit sluggish too.

      I've been running 2 Nuvi350s for years now, one in KJ4OVQ-9 (T2-135) and
      the other in KJ4ERJ-9 (an OT2m). They've been good and I have really
      enjoyed them. But when I got a serious deal on the 1490 before
      Christmas, I had to make the leap. However...

      > Looks like you can stop the breadcrumb issue, but does that mean that you lose the showing of Waypoints altogether? The whole point of this for me is to see other APRS objects whilst driving around.

      Yes, it means I've turned off visibility to the outside world. I hope
      to play with turning it back on next week for a bit, but totally expect
      the breadcrumbs to render it worthless. In these two installations, the
      tracking is important as is the bi-directional messaging. I use
      APRSISCE/32 to see what's around.

      Which is my ultimate solution to the local awareness. I've got a
      Bluetooth to serial adapter connected to the PC port on the OT2m so that
      I can lash up APRSISCE on my cellphone when I'm in the vehicle (it's my
      son's car, but my daughter's driving it for now). That's really why
      it's an OT2m and not a T2-135 (which has but the single GPS port coming
      out the back connector).

      > Messaging is not important to me as nobody seems to use it in Australia. Barely anybody integrates APRS into their GPS either, so they wouldn't even know they have received a message, let alone have facility to send any.

      Tracking works, seeing what else is around is nice, but messaging across
      the planet rules! Both ends of the conversation need to be in good
      coverage range of a properly configured IGate, but when it works, it's
      really fun.

      > Please let us know, in case it would be worthwhile investing in a '1490

      I'll report back here after I play with the waypoints and see how bad it
      is. I'm assuming it'll be pretty bad.

    • Bob Burns W9RXR
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
        Quoting "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...>:

        > ...T2-135 (which has but the single GPS port coming out the back connector).

        On the T2-135, the T2's B port is routed to the DATA jack on the front
        panel of the radio. Does that not work for what you want to do?

        Bob...
      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
          The B port routed to the front is receive-only to the T2-135 only. It
          provides 5v out for a GPS, ground, and a single data pin for transmit
          data from the external GPS to get in to a port on the T2-135. For a
          Nuvi + PC usage, I need transmit and receive on both ports which is
          provided by the OT2m.

          I did toy with customizing (aka hacking) my T2-135 to drop the 5v and
          bring out the other comm line, but I figured I'd end up blowing
          something up later without knowing which of my T2s were wired which way.

          PS. Now, a Bluetooth enabled T2-135 internal card would be really
          sweet, but the metal case of the DR-135 would probably severely limit
          the bluetooth range...

          On 2/3/2012 10:54 AM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
          > Quoting "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<ldeffenb@...>:
          >
          >> ...T2-135 (which has but the single GPS port coming out the back connector).
          > On the T2-135, the T2's B port is routed to the DATA jack on the front
          > panel of the radio. Does that not work for what you want to do?
          >
          > Bob...

        • Joe Della Barba
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
            The "switch profile on GPS FIX" is backwards. Switching to Profile 2 if GPS is invalid actually ends up doing it when valid and vice versa.
            Also NO FIX gets appended even if there is a valid fix.
            It must be opposite day....

            73
            N3HGB

            Joe Della Barba
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 8, 2012
              Found the problem. It was not backwards exactly, but there was a &
              where there should have been a &&, and another line of code got deleted
              somewhere along the way.

              I've fixed it and will put out a new revision soon.

              Thanks,

              Scott