RE: [tracker2] Nuvi 1490 + FMI-15 + T2-135 = Works!

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
      Hmm, the station does not "look" message capable from my perspective.

      Best regards,
      Fred, N7FMH

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
        T2s and OT2ms don't use the message-capable datatype in their packets.  But APRSISCE/32 will let you send a message (via Message / Send Message) to any station that you specify.  And once you've done that once, that/those station(s) will have Send Message in their popup menu whenever they're on your map.

        The TT4 has a configuration setting to say that it is message capable, which you're supposed to set if you attach a local keyboard and display, but to my knowledge the Tracker2 family doesn't have that option (yet).

        It'd be really sweet if it changed the datatype to say message capable if it detected that it was speaking (and hearing) FMI on the GPS port, but I haven't asked for that firmware change yet either.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
          On Thu, 2 Feb 2012, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

          > It'd be really sweet if it changed the datatype to say message capable if it
          > detected that it was speaking (and hearing) FMI on the GPS port, but I
          > haven't asked for that firmware change yet either.

          Well, now that the OT3m has LOTS of memory and CPU to play with, we can ask for the world until Scott fills it up!

          I can already picture him grumbling when he reads this message...

          --
          Curt, WE7U. http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
          Babysitting your tracker: http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=ControlOperator
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
            Lynn,

            I'd be very interested to hear how this works out for you.

            I have been using the Nuvi 350 with the Alinco DR-135T, and it's been great, but the '350 is pretty old and low-fi. The lo-def screen is embarrassing when compared to any current smartphones and is a bit sluggish too.

            Looks like you can stop the breadcrumb issue, but does that mean that you lose the showing of Waypoints altogether? The whole point of this for me is to see other APRS objects whilst driving around.

            Messaging is not important to me as nobody seems to use it in Australia. Barely anybody integrates APRS into their GPS either, so they wouldn't even know they have received a message, let alone have facility to send any.

            Please let us know, in case it would be worthwhile investing in a '1490

            73,
            Ben VK2BEN

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
              On 2/3/2012 7:10 AM, vk2ben wrote:
              > I have been using the Nuvi 350 with the Alinco DR-135T, and it's been great, but the '350 is pretty old and low-fi. The lo-def screen is embarrassing when compared to any current smartphones and is a bit sluggish too.

              I've been running 2 Nuvi350s for years now, one in KJ4OVQ-9 (T2-135) and
              the other in KJ4ERJ-9 (an OT2m). They've been good and I have really
              enjoyed them. But when I got a serious deal on the 1490 before
              Christmas, I had to make the leap. However...

              > Looks like you can stop the breadcrumb issue, but does that mean that you lose the showing of Waypoints altogether? The whole point of this for me is to see other APRS objects whilst driving around.

              Yes, it means I've turned off visibility to the outside world. I hope
              to play with turning it back on next week for a bit, but totally expect
              the breadcrumbs to render it worthless. In these two installations, the
              tracking is important as is the bi-directional messaging. I use
              APRSISCE/32 to see what's around.

              Which is my ultimate solution to the local awareness. I've got a
              Bluetooth to serial adapter connected to the PC port on the OT2m so that
              I can lash up APRSISCE on my cellphone when I'm in the vehicle (it's my
              son's car, but my daughter's driving it for now). That's really why
              it's an OT2m and not a T2-135 (which has but the single GPS port coming
              out the back connector).

              > Messaging is not important to me as nobody seems to use it in Australia. Barely anybody integrates APRS into their GPS either, so they wouldn't even know they have received a message, let alone have facility to send any.

              Tracking works, seeing what else is around is nice, but messaging across
              the planet rules! Both ends of the conversation need to be in good
              coverage range of a properly configured IGate, but when it works, it's
              really fun.

              > Please let us know, in case it would be worthwhile investing in a '1490

              I'll report back here after I play with the waypoints and see how bad it
              is. I'm assuming it'll be pretty bad.

            • Bob Burns W9RXR
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
                Quoting "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...>:

                > ...T2-135 (which has but the single GPS port coming out the back connector).

                On the T2-135, the T2's B port is routed to the DATA jack on the front
                panel of the radio. Does that not work for what you want to do?

                Bob...
              • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
                  The B port routed to the front is receive-only to the T2-135 only. It
                  provides 5v out for a GPS, ground, and a single data pin for transmit
                  data from the external GPS to get in to a port on the T2-135. For a
                  Nuvi + PC usage, I need transmit and receive on both ports which is
                  provided by the OT2m.

                  I did toy with customizing (aka hacking) my T2-135 to drop the 5v and
                  bring out the other comm line, but I figured I'd end up blowing
                  something up later without knowing which of my T2s were wired which way.

                  PS. Now, a Bluetooth enabled T2-135 internal card would be really
                  sweet, but the metal case of the DR-135 would probably severely limit
                  the bluetooth range...

                  On 2/3/2012 10:54 AM, Bob Burns W9RXR wrote:
                  > Quoting "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)"<ldeffenb@...>:
                  >
                  >> ...T2-135 (which has but the single GPS port coming out the back connector).
                  > On the T2-135, the T2's B port is routed to the DATA jack on the front
                  > panel of the radio. Does that not work for what you want to do?
                  >
                  > Bob...

                • Joe Della Barba
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
                    The "switch profile on GPS FIX" is backwards. Switching to Profile 2 if GPS is invalid actually ends up doing it when valid and vice versa.
                    Also NO FIX gets appended even if there is a valid fix.
                    It must be opposite day....

                    73
                    N3HGB

                    Joe Della Barba
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 8, 2012
                      Found the problem. It was not backwards exactly, but there was a &
                      where there should have been a &&, and another line of code got deleted
                      somewhere along the way.

                      I've fixed it and will put out a new revision soon.

                      Thanks,

                      Scott