Re: OT3m with Nuvi 350

  • Mads
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
      Well, the FCS count actually increased to 4 after a few hours.

      73! Mads, la1tpa

      > Then it's probably not getting any audio. Do you have another tracker
      > or TNC that you can use to verify your cabling?
      >
      > Scott
    • Randy Love
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
        On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM, vk6mrg <vk6mrg@...> wrote:

        I have Puxing 777 HT radios for my weather stations (two of them)and two OT+ trackers in both my cars and two Digi peaters with OT2m and I've NEVER had a problem once everything was setup correctly.

        You're successfully running Puxing 777's attached to OT2m's as digipeaters ?  They must be pretty low profile.

        The issue he's having is the OT2m decoding the audio from a Puxing 777. In my experience, that has been problematic and I did quite a bit of experimentation trying to get it to work. I haven't been successful.

        Getting a Puxing 777 to *transmit* APRS was never a problem; it was getting them to work properly with an OTx to *decode* that was an issue. During my trails, it would on average decode 1 packet for every 10 that the same OT would decode when hooked up to an F6A.

        Randy
        WF5X

      • Mads
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
          Just a little update. As some of you suggested that the PX-777 might cause the problem I replaced it with an old Motorola MC Micro. Here's the result:

          Nuvi 350 + OT3m + PX-777 = Not decoding packets
          Nuvi 350 + OT2m + PX-777 = Working fine!

          Nuvi 350 + OT3m + Motorola MC Micro = Not decoding packets
          Nuvi 350 + OT2m + Motorola MC Micro = Working fine!

          On the PX-777 I've tried squelch off and Software DCD on and squelch on (lvl 1) and software DCD off.

          Any more suggestions? I can post the DISPLAY text if needed.

          73! Mads, LA1TPA

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
            Any chance you've got an oscilloscope to check what the audio level is?
            I can walk you through checking a few places if you'd like. The
            trackers are all tested for RX before they leave, but it's always
            possible a solder joint failed or something.

            Scott

            On 2/2/2012 12:28 AM, Mads wrote:
            > Well, the FCS count actually increased to 4 after a few hours.
            >
            > 73! Mads, la1tpa

            > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Then it's probably not getting any audio. Do you have another tracker
            > > or TNC that you can use to verify your cabling?
            > >
            > > Scott

          • Mads
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
              Actually I have an old oscilloscope collecting dust in the basement. It should be suitable for AF measurements. Please provide some (detailed) instructions on where to measure to the e-mail address on my qrz.com profile.

              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                I'm going to post this here so it's in the group archive. This applies
                to PCB v1.1 (note that there's a stray v1.0 marking in the lower left of
                the board - I only recently discovered that.)

                The RX section is in the upper left of the board, near the radio DB9
                connector. You should see the input signal at ferrite chip L4 (left of
                D5, not marked). C2 and/or C18 (depending on whether SJ2 is set) AC
                couple the signal to the op amp input. You should see the op amp input
                on the left side of R2. You'll see the output at R9, which connects by
                a fat trace to the ADC input on the microcontroller. The entire audio
                path stays on the top layer of the PCB, and it's pretty visible because
                the traces are wider than anything but the power traces.

                Some problems I've seen that prevent RX from working are bad solder
                joints on components in that section, an improper value for C11 (should
                be 22pF, can be removed without any real impact), and an improper value
                for either R8 or R11 (both should be 30k and the voltage at their center
                point should be 1/2 Vcc).

                Scott