OT3M profile switching plus scripting

  • joe@dellabarba.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012

      Has anyone yet figured out how to connect a switch for changing profiles to the OT3M?

      Thanks,

      Joe N3HGB

      Also anyone done any scripting yet? It seems to be a bit different from the OT2 examples. For one thing, I had a script that was supposed to run on GPS FIX and it ran when the fix was LOST.

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012
        It's the GPIO line, pin 8 on the terminal block. But I just checked and
        the internal pull-up wasn't enabled, so you have to connect it to 5v for
        it to be 'off'. I've enabled the pull-up for the next firmware release.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012
          Then it's probably not getting any audio. Do you have another tracker
          or TNC that you can use to verify your cabling?

          Scott

          On 1/31/2012 12:28 PM, Mads wrote:
          > Hi Scott! No the FCS does not increase.
          >
          > 73! Mads, LA1TPA

          > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > When you check the INFO command, do you see the FCS count increasing?
          > >
          > > Scott

        • Mads
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
            Yes, when I replace the OT3m with my old OT2m everything works OK.

            73! Mads, la1tpa

            > Then it's probably not getting any audio. Do you have another tracker
            > or TNC that you can use to verify your cabling?
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 1/31/2012 12:28 PM, Mads wrote:
            > > Hi Scott! No the FCS does not increase.
            > >
            > > 73! Mads, LA1TPA

            > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > When you check the INFO command, do you see the FCS count increasing?
            > > >
            > > > Scott

          • Mads
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
              Well, the FCS count actually increased to 4 after a few hours.

              73! Mads, la1tpa

              > Then it's probably not getting any audio. Do you have another tracker
              > or TNC that you can use to verify your cabling?
              >
              > Scott
            • Randy Love
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
                On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM, vk6mrg <vk6mrg@...> wrote:

                I have Puxing 777 HT radios for my weather stations (two of them)and two OT+ trackers in both my cars and two Digi peaters with OT2m and I've NEVER had a problem once everything was setup correctly.

                You're successfully running Puxing 777's attached to OT2m's as digipeaters ?  They must be pretty low profile.

                The issue he's having is the OT2m decoding the audio from a Puxing 777. In my experience, that has been problematic and I did quite a bit of experimentation trying to get it to work. I haven't been successful.

                Getting a Puxing 777 to *transmit* APRS was never a problem; it was getting them to work properly with an OTx to *decode* that was an issue. During my trails, it would on average decode 1 packet for every 10 that the same OT would decode when hooked up to an F6A.

                Randy
                WF5X

              • Mads
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
                  Just a little update. As some of you suggested that the PX-777 might cause the problem I replaced it with an old Motorola MC Micro. Here's the result:

                  Nuvi 350 + OT3m + PX-777 = Not decoding packets
                  Nuvi 350 + OT2m + PX-777 = Working fine!

                  Nuvi 350 + OT3m + Motorola MC Micro = Not decoding packets
                  Nuvi 350 + OT2m + Motorola MC Micro = Working fine!

                  On the PX-777 I've tried squelch off and Software DCD on and squelch on (lvl 1) and software DCD off.

                  Any more suggestions? I can post the DISPLAY text if needed.

                  73! Mads, LA1TPA

                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Any chance you've got an oscilloscope to check what the audio level is?
                    I can walk you through checking a few places if you'd like. The
                    trackers are all tested for RX before they leave, but it's always
                    possible a solder joint failed or something.

                    Scott

                    On 2/2/2012 12:28 AM, Mads wrote:
                    > Well, the FCS count actually increased to 4 after a few hours.
                    >
                    > 73! Mads, la1tpa

                    > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Then it's probably not getting any audio. Do you have another tracker
                    > > or TNC that you can use to verify your cabling?
                    > >
                    > > Scott

                  • Mads
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
                      Actually I have an old oscilloscope collecting dust in the basement. It should be suitable for AF measurements. Please provide some (detailed) instructions on where to measure to the e-mail address on my qrz.com profile.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                        I'm going to post this here so it's in the group archive. This applies
                        to PCB v1.1 (note that there's a stray v1.0 marking in the lower left of
                        the board - I only recently discovered that.)

                        The RX section is in the upper left of the board, near the radio DB9
                        connector. You should see the input signal at ferrite chip L4 (left of
                        D5, not marked). C2 and/or C18 (depending on whether SJ2 is set) AC
                        couple the signal to the op amp input. You should see the op amp input
                        on the left side of R2. You'll see the output at R9, which connects by
                        a fat trace to the ADC input on the microcontroller. The entire audio
                        path stays on the top layer of the PCB, and it's pretty visible because
                        the traces are wider than anything but the power traces.

                        Some problems I've seen that prevent RX from working are bad solder
                        joints on components in that section, an improper value for C11 (should
                        be 22pF, can be removed without any real impact), and an improper value
                        for either R8 or R11 (both should be 30k and the voltage at their center
                        point should be 1/2 Vcc).

                        Scott