Re: [tracker2] Re: OT3m with Nuvi 350

  • Allan May
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012
      Good morning all,
      I know this isn't pertaining to the topic but will the puxing cable work with the wouxun radio? Does it have the sane pinouts? If this cable is compatible I'm going to get one,
                                Allan May,wd4ite

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 31, 2012, at 23:04, "vk6mrg" <vk6mrg@...> wrote:

      I have Puxing 777 HT radios for my weather stations (two of them)and two OT+ trackers in both my cars and two Digi peaters with OT2m and I've NEVER had a problem once everything was setup correctly. It is obvious that you have failed to setup the OT+ or OT2m correctly. You need to change the option pins in the OT+ for correct PTT levels! And maybe correct lead to connect to the OT+ or OT2m. I you the Kenwood cable from Argent Data. And as I said, No problems.

      I have not tried the Wouxon radios yet but the radio is almost identical to the Puxing. If you don't have the settings correct you will have the same problems that you are having with the Puxing.

    • joe@dellabarba.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012

        Has anyone yet figured out how to connect a switch for changing profiles to the OT3M?

        Thanks,

        Joe N3HGB

        Also anyone done any scripting yet? It seems to be a bit different from the OT2 examples. For one thing, I had a script that was supposed to run on GPS FIX and it ran when the fix was LOST.

        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012
          It's the GPIO line, pin 8 on the terminal block. But I just checked and
          the internal pull-up wasn't enabled, so you have to connect it to 5v for
          it to be 'off'. I've enabled the pull-up for the next firmware release.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 1, 2012
            Then it's probably not getting any audio. Do you have another tracker
            or TNC that you can use to verify your cabling?

            Scott

            On 1/31/2012 12:28 PM, Mads wrote:
            > Hi Scott! No the FCS does not increase.
            >
            > 73! Mads, LA1TPA

            > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > When you check the INFO command, do you see the FCS count increasing?
            > >
            > > Scott

          • Mads
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
              Yes, when I replace the OT3m with my old OT2m everything works OK.

              73! Mads, la1tpa

              > Then it's probably not getting any audio. Do you have another tracker
              > or TNC that you can use to verify your cabling?
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > On 1/31/2012 12:28 PM, Mads wrote:
              > > Hi Scott! No the FCS does not increase.
              > >
              > > 73! Mads, LA1TPA

              > > Scott Miller <scott@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > When you check the INFO command, do you see the FCS count increasing?
              > > >
              > > > Scott

            • Mads
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
                Well, the FCS count actually increased to 4 after a few hours.

                73! Mads, la1tpa

                > Then it's probably not getting any audio. Do you have another tracker
                > or TNC that you can use to verify your cabling?
                >
                > Scott
              • Randy Love
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
                  On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM, vk6mrg <vk6mrg@...> wrote:

                  I have Puxing 777 HT radios for my weather stations (two of them)and two OT+ trackers in both my cars and two Digi peaters with OT2m and I've NEVER had a problem once everything was setup correctly.

                  You're successfully running Puxing 777's attached to OT2m's as digipeaters ?  They must be pretty low profile.

                  The issue he's having is the OT2m decoding the audio from a Puxing 777. In my experience, that has been problematic and I did quite a bit of experimentation trying to get it to work. I haven't been successful.

                  Getting a Puxing 777 to *transmit* APRS was never a problem; it was getting them to work properly with an OTx to *decode* that was an issue. During my trails, it would on average decode 1 packet for every 10 that the same OT would decode when hooked up to an F6A.

                  Randy
                  WF5X

                • Mads
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Just a little update. As some of you suggested that the PX-777 might cause the problem I replaced it with an old Motorola MC Micro. Here's the result:

                    Nuvi 350 + OT3m + PX-777 = Not decoding packets
                    Nuvi 350 + OT2m + PX-777 = Working fine!

                    Nuvi 350 + OT3m + Motorola MC Micro = Not decoding packets
                    Nuvi 350 + OT2m + Motorola MC Micro = Working fine!

                    On the PX-777 I've tried squelch off and Software DCD on and squelch on (lvl 1) and software DCD off.

                    Any more suggestions? I can post the DISPLAY text if needed.

                    73! Mads, LA1TPA

                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
                      Any chance you've got an oscilloscope to check what the audio level is?
                      I can walk you through checking a few places if you'd like. The
                      trackers are all tested for RX before they leave, but it's always
                      possible a solder joint failed or something.

                      Scott

                      On 2/2/2012 12:28 AM, Mads wrote:
                      > Well, the FCS count actually increased to 4 after a few hours.
                      >
                      > 73! Mads, la1tpa

                      > Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Then it's probably not getting any audio. Do you have another tracker
                      > > or TNC that you can use to verify your cabling?
                      > >
                      > > Scott

                    • Mads
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 2, 2012
                        Actually I have an old oscilloscope collecting dust in the basement. It should be suitable for AF measurements. Please provide some (detailed) instructions on where to measure to the e-mail address on my qrz.com profile.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 7, 2012
                          I'm going to post this here so it's in the group archive. This applies
                          to PCB v1.1 (note that there's a stray v1.0 marking in the lower left of
                          the board - I only recently discovered that.)

                          The RX section is in the upper left of the board, near the radio DB9
                          connector. You should see the input signal at ferrite chip L4 (left of
                          D5, not marked). C2 and/or C18 (depending on whether SJ2 is set) AC
                          couple the signal to the op amp input. You should see the op amp input
                          on the left side of R2. You'll see the output at R9, which connects by
                          a fat trace to the ADC input on the microcontroller. The entire audio
                          path stays on the top layer of the PCB, and it's pretty visible because
                          the traces are wider than anything but the power traces.

                          Some problems I've seen that prevent RX from working are bad solder
                          joints on components in that section, an improper value for C11 (should
                          be 22pF, can be removed without any real impact), and an improper value
                          for either R8 or R11 (both should be 30k and the voltage at their center
                          point should be 1/2 Vcc).

                          Scott