new setup / few questions

  • david
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2012
      hey folks
      this is my first real aprs setup, have messed with a tinytrack in the past.
      I have a nuvi350 w/external antenna, a garmin 010-10813-00-DATA cable and a vhf motorola spectra.
      I was looking for a OT2m but the website says sold out, in fact it seems line everything is "NO STOCK" ? i don't see any on ebay. What the best way to acquire one? Should i wait for version 3? does version 3 add any enhanced functionality to the nuvi350 over version 2? would version 3 support newer / other gps units?
      im guessing the radio cable only needs unfiltered audio, mic, and PTT right?
      thanks
    • Jason KG4WSV
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2012
        The OT3 is the replacement for the OT2m; if you order a 2, you'll get
        a 3. The 3 is just rolling out, with a few hiccups getting the
        pipeline full, but I think some OT3 units have actually shipped.

        The OT3 has a bigger badder processor, which gives Scott room for
        implementing more cool stuff in the future, and it's also a more
        modern, easier to get part that will make keeping units in stock
        easier.

        There's no real change on the GPS side (350 only for full
        functionality), but that's a limit of Garmin devices and protocols and
        not the OT.

        The only radio connections are, as you note, audio and PTT. Power has
        to come form somewhere, of course.

        -Jason
        kg4wsv
      • Fred Hillhouse Jr
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2012

          I guess I need to order 2 so I can get 3. I can always find an unexpected use for a third. *wink wink

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2012
            OT2m orders have all been upgraded to the OT3m and we should be caught
            up next week. We do have a handful of OT2ms available if you want the
            older model.

            There's not much new functionality yet, aside from USB and telemetry,
            but there will be more additions coming.

            Scott