Nuvi 1490 Cable

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 25, 2012
      Ok, I'm the proud owner of a new Nuvi 1490-compatible FMI cable (sans
      traffic) but it came with absolutely NO documentatation. The 12v lead
      is pretty obvious with a red and black line with the fuze holder on the
      red line. But the data lines are just black, yellow, and white. Anyone
      have any clue as to which goes where when plugging in to a T2-135
      embedded in an Alinco DR-135?

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Upgrading my 350 to 1490 for messaging primarily,
      not station display
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 25, 2012
        Pinouts should be on the bag the cable came in.

        For the 135, it'll be black - 5, yellow - 3, white - 2.

        Scott

        On 1/25/2012 8:47 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
        > Ok, I'm the proud owner of a new Nuvi 1490-compatible FMI cable (sans
        > traffic) but it came with absolutely NO documentatation. The 12v lead
        > is pretty obvious with a red and black line with the fuze holder on the
        > red line. But the data lines are just black, yellow, and white. Anyone
        > have any clue as to which goes where when plugging in to a T2-135
        > embedded in an Alinco DR-135?
        >
        > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Upgrading my 350 to 1490 for messaging primarily,
        > not station display

      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2012
          I ordered this cable (along with a back-ordered one with Traffic) from
          another company about a week before you announced that you have them.
          They took this long to get it delivered and they say yet another 3 weeks
          before I'll see the other one.

          Thanks for the info!

          Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Hopefully tracking with a T2-135/Nuvi 1490 as
          KJ4OVQ-9 soon!

          On 1/26/2012 1:15 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
          > Pinouts should be on the bag the cable came in.
          >
          > For the 135, it'll be black - 5, yellow - 3, white - 2.
          >
          > Scott
          >
          > On 1/25/2012 8:47 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
          >> Ok, I'm the proud owner of a new Nuvi 1490-compatible FMI cable (sans
          >> traffic) but it came with absolutely NO documentatation. The 12v lead
          >> is pretty obvious with a red and black line with the fuze holder on the
          >> red line. But the data lines are just black, yellow, and white. Anyone
          >> have any clue as to which goes where when plugging in to a T2-135
          >> embedded in an Alinco DR-135?
          >>
          >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Upgrading my 350 to 1490 for messaging primarily,
          >> not station display

        • Jason Low
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2012
            Are you guys implying that the 1490 can do what I see everybody talking about with the 350 series nuvis? I have a 1490 in my vehicle and would prefer to keep the traffic functionality. I have a Kenwood TM-D710A radio and am using a cobbled-together GPS18x setup right now to feed it, but if I could use a cable with my 1490, not only would that give me a display screen, but I'd also have one less device to power off my car's 12V circuit.

            I actually have one of those GreenLight Labs GPS-710s on its way to me to replace the GPS18x. Could I use it in concert with the 1490 with a fleet management kit, or would that be overkill?

            On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 06:18, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <ldeffenb@...> wrote:
            I ordered this cable (along with a back-ordered one with Traffic) from
            another company about a week before you announced that you have them.
            They took this long to get it delivered and they say yet another 3 weeks
            before I'll see the other one.

            Thanks for the info!

            Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Hopefully tracking with a T2-135/Nuvi 1490 as
            KJ4OVQ-9 soon!

            On 1/26/2012 1:15 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
            > Pinouts should be on the bag the cable came in.
            >
            > For the 135, it'll be black - 5, yellow - 3, white - 2.
            >
            > Scott
            >
            > On 1/25/2012 8:47 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
            >> Ok, I'm the proud owner of a new Nuvi 1490-compatible FMI cable (sans
            >> traffic) but it came with absolutely NO documentatation. The 12v lead
            >> is pretty obvious with a red and black line with the fuze holder on the
            >> red line. But the data lines are just black, yellow, and white. Anyone
            >> have any clue as to which goes where when plugging in to a T2-135
            >> embedded in an Alinco DR-135?
            >>
            >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Upgrading my 350 to 1490 for messaging primarily,
            >> not station display

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
               tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 26, 2012
              NO!  The Nuvi 350 is the ONLY garmin display GPS that does everything that the Tracker2 family of TNCs expect it to do.  All others will either not display station icons or will display a bread-crumb trail behind moving stations with clones of the objects.

              This particular installation (KJ4OVQ-9) is in my wife's van (she's KJ4OVQ) and she doesn't care about the station visibility, but we use the messaging.  I'm hoping that the messaging will work and I plan to tell the Tracker2 to not pass any station information along to the GPS.

              At least, that's my understanding of the Garmin Nuvi FMI situation...

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

              On 1/26/2012 8:28 AM, Jason Low wrote: Are you guys implying that the 1490 can do what I see everybody talking about with the 350 series nuvis? I have a 1490 in my vehicle and would prefer to keep the traffic functionality. I have a Kenwood TM-D710A radio and am using a cobbled-together GPS18x setup right now to feed it, but if I could use a cable with my 1490, not only would that give me a display screen, but I'd also have one less device to power off my car's 12V circuit.

              I actually have one of those GreenLight Labs GPS-710s on its way to me to replace the GPS18x. Could I use it in concert with the 1490 with a fleet management kit, or would that be overkill?

              On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 06:18, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <ldeffenb@...> wrote:
              I ordered this cable (along with a back-ordered one with Traffic) from
              another company about a week before you announced that you have them.
              They took this long to get it delivered and they say yet another 3 weeks
              before I'll see the other one.

              Thanks for the info!

              Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Hopefully tracking with a T2-135/Nuvi 1490 as
              KJ4OVQ-9 soon!

              On 1/26/2012 1:15 AM, Scott Miller wrote:
              > Pinouts should be on the bag the cable came in.
              >
              > For the 135, it'll be black - 5, yellow - 3, white - 2.
              >
              > Scott
              >
              > On 1/25/2012 8:47 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
              >> Ok, I'm the proud owner of a new Nuvi 1490-compatible FMI cable (sans
              >> traffic) but it came with absolutely NO documentatation. The 12v lead
              >> is pretty obvious with a red and black line with the fuze holder on the
              >> red line. But the data lines are just black, yellow, and white. Anyone
              >> have any clue as to which goes where when plugging in to a T2-135
              >> embedded in an Alinco DR-135?
              >>
              >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Upgrading my 350 to 1490 for messaging primarily,
              >> not station display

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                 tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
                 tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Paul Vittorino
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 26, 2012
              • 1 Attachment
              • 26 KB
              I've attached an image of the packaging label that includes the wiring diagram.

              Paul