Re: [tracker2] Re: T3-301 Release date?

  • Matthew Cook
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2012
      Are you going to drop the UART on the T3-301 or just add the USB connector?   If the USB connector can power the T3 inside the 301 would it be possible to make this jumperable (move smd resistors) so select between USB and internal supplies?   Will the USB be isolated or referenced to the radio ground?

      If you're laying out a new PCB would it be possible to have a small 4 pin header (not fitted) that breaks out the TTL level serial?

      I've been playing around with a beaglebone board and have it working as a portable APRS iGate and Digi using mobile internet data (3G UMTS USB modem).  I've been toying with using it and a pair of T2-301's with suitable mods to the serial to disable the RS232 converter.   Need to know if I should get an order in for the T2-301's or wait for the T3-301's.

      73's

      Matthew
      VK5ZM

      On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:

      On 1/20/2012 10:47 AM, N9NWO wrote:
      > When did you "announce" that there would be a T3? How does it differ
      > from the T2? I gather that the radio, 301, portion does not change.

      I've been talking about the T3 for several months now - I don't recall
      when the official announcement was.

      There are some notes on changes here:

      http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=OT3m

      The T3-301 version won't have the terminal block or the power switch,
      but it will have USB. If I can, I'd like to set up the next board
      revision so that the T3 board alone can be powered by USB (though USB
      can't supply enough current for the radio) so it'll be easier to hook up
      a unit and reprogram it without messing with the cabling.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2012
        On 1/23/2012 9:53 PM, Matthew Cook wrote:
        > Are you going to drop the UART on the T3-301 or just add the USB
        > connector? If the USB connector can power the T3 inside the 301 would

        Just like the OT3m, the two UARTs are still there.

        > it be possible to make this jumperable (move smd resistors) so select
        > between USB and internal supplies? Will the USB be isolated or
        > referenced to the radio ground?

        Right now the OTUSB and OT3m use a diode to separate USB power and
        regulator power, but they do share a common ground so you should still
        be careful about ground loops.

        > If you're laying out a new PCB would it be possible to have a small 4
        > pin header (not fitted) that breaks out the TTL level serial?

        Possibly, or at least test pads. I've got a few things on my wish list
        for extra connections. The OTUSB has a jumper that's intended to switch
        the UART polarity for use with TTL setups, but it hasn't been
        implemented yet.