Power cable question

  • j0hnburt0n
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2012
      Hello, I use the Tracker2 with a Nuvi 350, so far so good. Unfortunately my cigarette lighter power cord bit the dust. I picked-up a new cigarette lighter power supply made by Scosche that is sold as an automotive power supply for iPad. It has two usb sockets on it, one is 2.1 amp and the other is 1 amp. I also got a usb cable to use with it that has a mini-b connector. I got this cable because the mini-b end is a right angle.

      I plugged it into the socket on the side of the Nuvi and it powered it but it came up in data transfer mode. I suspected it would after reading a previous post here. If I plug it into the socket on the rear cradle, it powers the Nuvi without going into data transfer mode. I suppose that's because the rear connector is for power only.

      My question is; can I safely use this power supply plugged into the back with the fmi cable from the Tracker2 plugged into the side socket or is this some recipe for disaster that I don't know about? I'd rather ask first rather than fry my Nuvi or the Tracker.

      Thanks,

      JB
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2012
        > My question is; can I safely use this power supply plugged into the back
        > with the fmi cable from the Tracker2 plugged into the side socket or is
        > this some recipe for disaster that I don't know about? I'd rather ask
        > first rather than fry my Nuvi or the Tracker.

        Yes, in fact that's the only cable configuration that does work, without
        modification.

        Any USB power supply should be fine as long as it can supply the minimum
        500 mA.