aprs shield

  • Eric Fort
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 9, 2012
      Got my aprs shield put together and cabled to my kenwood th-f6a. The
      board appears to key the radio just fine and I can see tx and rx audio
      on my scope. when I run the sketch listed on the wiki to transmit
      packets I am not seeing anything on the APRS network, or at least
      nothing seems to make it to findu or aprs.fi as this is really the
      only means I have of checking on packets I'm trying to send. When I
      load the sketch to recieve and display packets I seem to get no
      decodes whatsoever, even though I can hear the aprs packets on 144.39
      with what sounds like little to no noise. Any help on getting this
      working is appreciated.

      Eric
      AF6EP
    • harry martens
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2012
        Hi Scott or whom ever might have the answers to my questions.

        I copied the 'transmit packets' code from the WIKI site, changed the
        callsign data and uploaded to the shield.
        In the 'monitor' window, I see a data stream being sent but I do not see
        the 'path' information in the data stream.
        To trouble shoot this, I connected a radio to the shield and set up
        another radio and tnc
        using a separate computer and configured the tnc to be in 'monitor' mode.
        I do not see the path information on that display either.

        The M radio command functions properly.
        The transmitted signal appears to be over modulated on my service
        monitor so I will try to use the "L" radio command to
        change the deviation.

        I have the following questions:
        1. does the P radio command return a status code?
        2. Please provide an example of getting the status return value. I
        have not been able to get the status command to display data.
        3. What are the default values for the L and D radio commands?
        4. Is there a command to 'display' the various settings similiar to
        what other tncs can do?
        5. Is the source code for the shield available. I am not interested
        in tweaking the code, just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

        Harry
        WA0MFZ
      • Eric Fort
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 9, 2012
          On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:
          > Got my aprs shield put together and cabled to my kenwood th-f6a.  The
          > board appears to key the radio just fine and I can see tx and rx audio
          > on my scope.  when I run the sketch listed on the wiki to transmit
          > packets I am not seeing anything on the APRS network, or at least
          > nothing seems to make it to findu or aprs.fi as this is really the
          > only means I have of checking on packets I'm trying to send.  When I
          > load the sketch to recieve and display packets I seem to get no
          > decodes whatsoever, even though I can hear the aprs packets on 144.39
          > with what sounds like little to no noise.  Any help on getting this
          > working is appreciated.
          >
          > Eric
          > AF6EP

          Well, a bit more progress thus far, or at least in a diagnostic
          sense...... I finally got a chance to tlsten on another HT. The
          Shield is keying the radio just fine, but no audio is passing across
          the rf part of the path. All I'm getting is my radio periodicly dead
          keying over everyone else on frequency. What should I be looking at?
          why no audio? (never mind that this pretty well explains why what I
          thought I was sending was not making it out to the Igates...)

          Eric
          AF6EP
        • Randy Love
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 10, 2012
            This is more F6 related, but did you make sure that the speaker/mic jack is configured for PACKET mode? I forget the menu options, but the TH-F6 has a menu to set the speaker mic jack for 3 different modes: Spkr/Mic, Packet, and something else ( maybe programming software comms? ).

            73,
            Randy
            WF5X

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 10, 2012
              Randy,

              Thanks, yea, I set it for packet mode.  Still no tx audio across the rf link.  makes me wonder though if maybe trying another mode (speaker/mic) might work.  interesting that the radio still works fine for voice with everything unplugged and the menu still set for packet.

              Eric
              AF6EP

              On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:01 AM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:

              This is more F6 related, but did you make sure that the speaker/mic jack is configured for PACKET mode? I forget the menu options, but the TH-F6 has a menu to set the speaker mic jack for 3 different modes: Spkr/Mic, Packet, and something else ( maybe programming software comms? ).

              73,
              Randy
              WF5X

              On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

              On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:
              > Got my aprs shield put together and cabled to my kenwood th-f6a.  The
              > board appears to key the radio just fine and I can see tx and rx audio
              > on my scope.  when I run the sketch listed on the wiki to transmit
              > packets I am not seeing anything on the APRS network, or at least
              > nothing seems to make it to findu or aprs.fi as this is really the
              > only means I have of checking on packets I'm trying to send.  When I
              > load the sketch to recieve and display packets I seem to get no
              > decodes whatsoever, even though I can hear the aprs packets on 144.39
              > with what sounds like little to no noise.  Any help on getting this
              > working is appreciated.
              >
              > Eric
              > AF6EP

              Well, a bit more progress thus far, or at least in a diagnostic
              sense...... I finally got a chance to tlsten on another HT. The
              Shield is keying the radio just fine, but no audio is passing across
              the rf part of the path. All I'm getting is my radio periodicly dead
              keying over everyone else on frequency. What should I be looking at?
              why no audio? (never mind that this pretty well explains why what I
              thought I was sending was not making it out to the Igates...)

              Eric
              AF6EP

            • Jason KG4WSV
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 10, 2012
                On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:
                makes me wonder though if maybe trying another mode (speaker/mic) might work.

                I'm pretty sure that's the mode you want.  IIRC, packet mode is the discriminator tap for 9600 baud type operations.  Again IIRC, I used speaker/mic mode with my OT2, but it's been a while.

                -Jason
                kg4wsv
              • Randy Love
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 10, 2012
                  Is this a pre-made cable or did you assemble it from parts?

                  I had an issue with a homebrew programming cable for my F6, and it turned out that I had to file/grind off part of the plug shell to get it to seat completely.

                  Just pulling stuff out the old noggin that I encountered with my F6's..

                  WF5X

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 10, 2012
                      I think you missed my point.

                      I had to modify the plugs so they would fit properly into the jacks by grinding off parts that butt up against the radio so they would plug in fully. Mine didn't seat completely so it didn't work correctly until I modify the plugs.

                      Try this as a test. While you have it hooked up to the F6 and the otconfig software in diagnostic mode, PTT enabled, and tones on, monitor it with another radio and PRESS IN THE PLUGS with extra pressure. If you suddenly get tones out, that means the plugs are not seating fully. Modify as necessary or get different plugs.

                      Believe me, I checked, double checked, triple checked and even built a completely new set of cables. It wasn't until I noticed that if I pressed a little harder the plug would move in more, but bounce right back out when the pressure was removed. Grinding down the part that butts against the radio solved the issue. I've experienced the same issue with a fellas Yaesu HT that I built cables for. I had to trim back the plastic from the pre-fab plug to get it to work right.

                      WF5X

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 14, 2012
                            I did a quick search and saw a post mentioning that that radio requires afsk so you should have audio going in. If you've got square waves then sonething is wired incorrectly. I'll keep looking.

                            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:

                            > Just confirmed with the scope connected to the gnd and tx pins on the
                            > shield that I'm getting a sequence of nice square waves when a packet goes
                            > out, complete with a bunch of trash superimposed on top. Shouldn't I get a
                            > nice clean AFSK sine wave alternating between 1200 and 2200 hz about every
                            > 1/1200 second or so?
                            >
                            > Eric
                            > AF6EP
                            >
                            > On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Eric Fort <eric.fort@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > So far no change in getting more than tx and no audio across the link. I
                            > > have tried pressing in the cable a bit further, no difference, nor does
                            > > swithching from packet to speaker mic settings on the F6 make a difference
                            > > either. I've looked at the tx output on the scope and this presents a
                            > > puzzle. What I seem to be seeing is not the alternating mark and space
                            > > tones I'd expect but instead a square wave alternating between mark and
                            > > space dc levels. Am I missing something here? shouldn't I be getting
                            > > audio tones out of this board rather than just alternating DC levels?
                            > >
                            > > Eric
                            > > AF6EP
                            > >

                            > > On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Randy Love <rlove31@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> **
                            > >>

                            > >> I think you missed my point.
                            > >>
                            > >> I had to modify the plugs so they would fit properly into the jacks by
                            > >> grinding off parts that butt up against the radio so they would plug in
                            > >> fully. Mine didn't seat completely so it didn't work correctly until I
                            > >> modify the plugs.
                            > >>
                            > >> Try this as a test. While you have it hooked up to the F6 and the
                            > >> otconfig software in diagnostic mode, PTT enabled, and tones on, monitor it
                            > >> with another radio and PRESS IN THE PLUGS with extra pressure. If you
                            > >> suddenly get tones out, that means the plugs are not seating fully. Modify
                            > >> as necessary or get different plugs.
                            > >>
                            > >> Believe me, I checked, double checked, triple checked and even built a
                            > >> completely new set of cables. It wasn't until I noticed that if I pressed a
                            > >> little harder the plug would move in more, but bounce right back out when
                            > >> the pressure was removed. Grinding down the part that butts against the
                            > >> radio solved the issue. I've experienced the same issue with a fellas Yaesu
                            > >> HT that I built cables for. I had to trim back the plastic from the pre-fab
                            > >> plug to get it to work right.
                            > >>
                            > >> WF5X

                          • VA3UE
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 14, 2012
                              Yes, page 45 of the manual indicates audio is the input (not data).

                              Square waves = bad.