Re: [tracker2] OT3 power switch

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2012
      Be aware that the OT3 power control switch is not as robust as the old power MOSFET. The OT2 could switch up to 30 amps, but the OT3 can only handle about 8 amps. It is not going to be able to control the power to your HF rig, but you could probably control the power to an HT with it. For switching high current loads, use it to drive and external relay. I'm using external relays to control loads even with the higher power MOSFET on the OT2. I'm just happier that way so that no one accidentally fries my OT2 by connecting the wrong load to the switched output port.

      I'm liking what I see on the wiki page. 4 telemetry ports and the on board voltage sensor, plus the counter input and digital I/O as well… no more having to modify the OT2 to get my telemetry ports!

      I'm going to have to rework my scripts a bit though to accommodate the new functionality!

      Now to wait for the backlog to clear!

      C'mon Scott crack the whip on Igor! No coffee or lunch breaks, and no going home until the backlog is cleared up!

      Sent from my iPad
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2012
        Yes, but smaller - 7 amps instead of 30. Very few people were using
        more than a few amps on the OT2m and the larger solid state relays are
        bulky, expensive, and frequently hard to source. 7 amps should be
        enough for most radios on low or medium power, and for higher current
        you can use an external relay.

        The connection for the relay is on the front terminal block now, instead
        of an internal pad.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2012
          > C'mon Scott crack the whip on Igor! No coffee or lunch breaks, and no
          > going home until the backlog is cleared up!

          I've been in back doing almost as much soldering as him lately! In fact
          all of the T3 assembly work has been me.

          The good news (for us anyway) is that the OT3ms are easier to assemble.
          Even with the SMT stuff outsourced on the OT2ms, we'd still have to
          bend the LEDs and install them at the right height. Now it's a dual
          bicolor LED that installs in one piece and doesn't have to be trimmed.

          One of the first major software changes I'm hoping to make is to add
          substitution strings in scripting and comments - so you'd use something
          like %TEMPF% and it would be replaced with the temperature in
          Fahrenheit. I don't think I'm going to be able to pull that off on the
          T2 due to code space and especially RAM limitations. But so far, the T3
          is basically using only as much RAM (2k) as the T2 - the only changes
          being to some buffer sizes (in particular the serial input buffers) and
          the addition of the USB endpoint buffers and control structures. So
          most of the 16k is still available for stuff like temporary storage
          during string substitution, outgoing packet buffers, and whatnot that
          just weren't practical before.

          Scott
        • Maciej O.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2012
            > Yes, but smaller - 7 amps instead of 30. Very few people were using
            > more than a few amps on the OT2m and the larger solid state relays are
            > bulky, expensive, and frequently hard to source. 7 amps should be
            > enough for most radios on low or medium power, and for higher current
            > you can use an external relay.
            >
            > The connection for the relay is on the front terminal block now, instead
            > of an internal pad.
            >
            > Scott

            Hello.
            What is the name of this new realys? I ask because VN920/IPS5451 is
            distroied inside of my OT2m. I have problem to buy it in Poland :-(

            SP1QXN Maciej
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2012
              It's currently an IPS6041. It could also be a VN820 or IPS6031,
              depending on component availability.

              Scott