Re: [tracker2] tracker2 working but not igate

  • Matthew Cook
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
      Hmm...  Thanks for that Scott...

      That might explain a few things why my TH-D72 is not being heard by some of my local digi's reliably, I know the TNC's they are using do not like demodulating flat audio tones (MFJ1270b's).

      Very naughty of Mr Kenwood to take a short cut...  I bet they are injecting both the 1200/9600 tones into the same point in the audio path... tisk tisk tisk.

      73's

      Matthew
      VK5ZM

      On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 5:15 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
      In my experience, this is very often a problem with pre-emphasis.  I'm
      not sure about the VX8, but I know that the Kenwoods transmit flat - the
      1200 and 2200 hz tones are of equal deviation.  Most other radios
      (unless you're using the 9600 baud data port) apply 6 dB/octave of
      pre-emphasis, so the 2200 hz tone is louder.  The reverse is done on the
      receive side, and some demodulators don't deal with the twist very well.

      I've noticed this with one of the local digis here.  It picks up my
      IGate (now running a T3) fine if I use the mic input, and not well at
      all if I use the data jack.

      Scott

      On 1/1/2012 10:12 PM, Robert Lane wrote:
      > This question is not totally related to the Tracker2 but it is a piece
      > of the puzzle. I recently bought a VX8GR (KB8ZXE-7) and have been
      > testing it out. I made a trip to the Ironwood Michigan area to visit
      > family and brought the VX8 along. For some reason the iGate in Ironwood
      > (AB8ZJ) won't pick my VX8 up directly. It will however gate traffic from
      > my radio to the internet if and only if it goes through another digi
      > first. There is a digi in Wakefield a few miles away (KB8ZXE-1) and the
      > Ironwood iGate will pass traffic all day long to the internet from my
      > VX8 as long as it goes through the Wakefield digi first. The Wakefield
      > digi is an OpenTrcker2 running as a fill-in digi.
      >
      > In fact I was at my buddies apartment in Ironwood on his roof looking at
      > an antenna install. I manually sent several position packets and the
      > only one that got gated to the internet went through (WALES) Wales MN
      > some 90 miles away and then back to the Ironwood iGate.
      >
      > So from the sounds of it my VX8GR is working fine. AB8ZJ appears to be
      > working fine for other mobiles and fixed stations. I was picking up the
      > other stations digipeated packets from AB8ZJ as well. What is keeping
      > AB8ZJ from dumping my packets to the internet. I believe he is running
      > UIview32 as a digi and an Igate. I should have tried changing the path
      > on my HT but I was running WIDE1-1 (only). This really cut down on the
      > APRS coverage for me in a big way and I would like to come up with a
      > solution
      >
      > This might be a lot to swallow but please read it over and message me if
      > you have any ideas. I leave town tomorrow so I probably won't have time
      > to test anything.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Bob
      > KB8ZXE

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         tracker2-digest@yahoogroups.com
         tracker2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
        I don't know if I'd consider it a shortcut - for most data modes it
        would make sense to transmit flat. Pre-emphasis is just for voice noise
        reduction. It's just that the 'standard' is to use pre-emphasis for
        APRS since we're using so many voice radios.

        Scott