Re: [tracker2] Re: tracker2 working but not igate

  • Robert Lane
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
      I had the TX delay to 500ms the entire trip (I would think this would be good). Looking back I also had the path as WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 for a while, then I switched it to WIDE1-1.  Neither one worked.

      I am back in Green Bay now so I can't test any further but I would like to come up with an idea for testing next time.  I like the ideas so far but I think there is something else going on.

      Thanks for all ideas and if you have any more let me know.

      Thanks

      Bob

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
        I know AB8ZJ is using a beam, but I drove by his house and manually sent several position beacons.  I don't think it is an issue with a weak signal.  I was using a 1/4 wave antenna on the roof with 5 watts so it should have heard me sometime.

        I do like the idea of pre-emphasis.  I wish there was a way to calibrate and send low and high tones separate like the tracker2.  AB8ZJ is back in town now so I will send him an e-mail and see what he says.

        Again, thanks for all the help.

        Bob
        KB8ZXE

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
          Hmm...  Thanks for that Scott...

          That might explain a few things why my TH-D72 is not being heard by some of my local digi's reliably, I know the TNC's they are using do not like demodulating flat audio tones (MFJ1270b's).

          Very naughty of Mr Kenwood to take a short cut...  I bet they are injecting both the 1200/9600 tones into the same point in the audio path... tisk tisk tisk.

          73's

          Matthew
          VK5ZM

          On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 5:15 AM, Scott Miller <scott@...> wrote:
          In my experience, this is very often a problem with pre-emphasis.  I'm
          not sure about the VX8, but I know that the Kenwoods transmit flat - the
          1200 and 2200 hz tones are of equal deviation.  Most other radios
          (unless you're using the 9600 baud data port) apply 6 dB/octave of
          pre-emphasis, so the 2200 hz tone is louder.  The reverse is done on the
          receive side, and some demodulators don't deal with the twist very well.

          I've noticed this with one of the local digis here.  It picks up my
          IGate (now running a T3) fine if I use the mic input, and not well at
          all if I use the data jack.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2012
            I don't know if I'd consider it a shortcut - for most data modes it
            would make sense to transmit flat. Pre-emphasis is just for voice noise
            reduction. It's just that the 'standard' is to use pre-emphasis for
            APRS since we're using so many voice radios.

            Scott