Nuvi 1450 LMT and OTM2

  • Hank Lambert
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 26, 2011

      I have been using APRS for quite a while now, but only in the shack with APRSIS32 and Xastir. I got a Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT for Christmas and would like to set it up in the car with APRS. My plan is to use the OT2M (or I guess the OT3M) with a Yaesu FT-1900R and the Garmin Nuvi 1450. Does anyone know if the Nuvi 1450 can be used with APRS? I have Googled this for a day now and cannot find any information telling me if it can be used with APRS.

      Thanks for any help you can provide.

      73,

      Hank Lambert

      KB4MTO/TA5ZC

      hank@...

      kb4mto@...

      www.hanklambert.com

      PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

    • k7ybz
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 26, 2011
        Yes. The 1450 can be used in FMI mode with the garmin 010-11232-10 FMI cable interfaced to the OT2. However, beware that any unit other than the Nuvi-350 will leave breadcrumbs for tracking.

        See these pages:

        http://www8.garmin.com/solutions/pnd/supportedproducts.jsp
        https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=102762

        http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Garmin_FMI

        Larry
        K7YBZ

        --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Hank Lambert" <hank@...> wrote:

        > I have been using APRS for quite a while now, but only in the shack with
        > APRSIS32 and Xastir. I got a Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT for Christmas and would
        > like to set it up in the car with APRS. My plan is to use the OT2M (or I
        > guess the OT3M) with a Yaesu FT-1900R and the Garmin Nuvi 1450. Does anyone
        > know if the Nuvi 1450 can be used with APRS? I have Googled this for a day
        > now and cannot find any information telling me if it can be used with APRS.
        >

        > Thanks for any help you can provide.
        >

        > 73,
        >

        > Hank Lambert
        >
        > KB4MTO/TA5ZC
        >
        > hank@...
        >
        > kb4mto@...
        >
        > www.hanklambert.com
        >
        > PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

      • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 26, 2011
          Although if you want to keep your traffic benefits, you probably need
          the FMI-45 cable instead:

          https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=104982

          But, do you know if the FMI 15/45 provide RS-232 level communications
          that can be simply plugged into the Tracker2 family devices or is a
          level converter required?

          I also have 3 new 1490LMTs that I need to hook up to T2-135/OT2m as I
          replace a few 350s. I know about the breadcrumbs, but in 2 of these
          installations, I only want it for messaging and the third may end up
          completely standalone with no APRS interface for a while.

          On 12/26/2011 4:38 PM, k7ybz wrote:
          > Yes. The 1450 can be used in FMI mode with the garmin 010-11232-10 FMI cable interfaced to the OT2. However, beware that any unit other than the Nuvi-350 will leave breadcrumbs for tracking.
          >
          > See these pages:
          >
          > http://www8.garmin.com/solutions/pnd/supportedproducts.jsp
          > https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=102762
          >
          > http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Garmin_FMI
          >
          > Larry
          > K7YBZ
          >

          > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Hank Lambert"<hank@...> wrote:
          >> I have been using APRS for quite a while now, but only in the shack with
          >> APRSIS32 and Xastir. I got a Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT for Christmas and would
          >> like to set it up in the car with APRS. My plan is to use the OT2M (or I
          >> guess the OT3M) with a Yaesu FT-1900R and the Garmin Nuvi 1450. Does anyone
          >> know if the Nuvi 1450 can be used with APRS? I have Googled this for a day
          >> now and cannot find any information telling me if it can be used with APRS.
          >>

          >> Thanks for any help you can provide.
          >>

          >> 73,
          >>

          >> Hank Lambert
          >>
          >> KB4MTO/TA5ZC
          >>
          >> hank@...
          >>
          >> kb4mto@...
          >>
          >> www.hanklambert.com
          >>
          >> PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

        • Hank Lambert
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 26, 2011

            Thanks Larry, I am looking at these links now.

            73,

            Hank Lambert

            KB4MTO/TA5ZC

            hank@...

            kb4mto@...

            www.hanklambert.com

            PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

            Yes. The 1450 can be used in FMI mode with the garmin 010-11232-10 FMI cable interfaced to the OT2. However, beware that any unit other than the Nuvi-350 will leave breadcrumbs for tracking.

            See these pages:

            http://www8.garmin.com/solutions/pnd/supportedproducts.jsp
            https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=102762

            http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Garmin_FMI

            Larry
            K7YBZ

            --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Hank Lambert" <hank@...> wrote:

            > I have been using APRS for quite a while now, but only in the shack with
            > APRSIS32 and Xastir. I got a Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT for Christmas and would
            > like to set it up in the car with APRS. My plan is to use the OT2M (or I
            > guess the OT3M) with a Yaesu FT-1900R and the Garmin Nuvi 1450. Does anyone
            > know if the Nuvi 1450 can be used with APRS? I have Googled this for a day
            > now and cannot find any information telling me if it can be used with APRS.
            >

            > Thanks for any help you can provide.
            >

            > 73,
            >

            > Hank Lambert
            >
            > KB4MTO/TA5ZC
            >
            > hank@...
            >
            > kb4mto@...
            >
            > www.hanklambert.com
            >
            > PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

          • Hank Lambert
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 26, 2011

              I definitely will pick up the FMI-45. It’s pricey, but I want to keep the traffic benefits.

              I don’t know what the FMI cables provide, this is the type of info I am looking for. If I need a level convertor, where is a good place to get one? I didn’t see one on Argent’s Web site.

              I would like it if the 1450 can do messaging, but it’s not a total loss if it doesn’t.

              BTW, what exactly is/are breadcrumbs?

              Are you going to be at Orlando Hamcation this year? It’s the weekend of February 10th, and it’s a pretty good hamfest.

              73,

              Hank Lambert

              KB4MTO/TA5ZC

              hank@...

              kb4mto@...

              www.hanklambert.com

              PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 26, 2011
                > Does anyone know if the Nuvi 1450 can be used with APRS? I have Googled
                > this for a day now and cannot find any information telling me if it can
                > be used with APRS.

                Yes, with caveats. Until Garmin fixes some bugs, labels don't show up
                properly and stations aren't displayed at all zoom levels. Messaging
                works fine. You'll need the appropriate FMI cable - which is now the
                FMI 15 cable, but we just got those in and haven't updated the listing
                so it still says FMI 10.2A.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 26, 2011
                  > But, do you know if the FMI 15/45 provide RS-232 level communications
                  > that can be simply plugged into the Tracker2 family devices or is a
                  > level converter required?

                  The FMI cable *is* the level converter - and nuvi power supply. You
                  just need the appropriate DB9 connector. In this case, that's a female.

                  We should be just about caught up on FMI cable orders... we had a couple
                  hundred to put together, and I'm assuming Igor got those finished today
                  unless something else came up. I just got back in town myself.

                  Scott
                • Hank Lambert
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 27, 2011

                    Thanks Scott. One other question; do you have the FMI-45 so that I can keep the traffic features as well?

                    73,

                    Hank Lambert

                    KB4MTO/TA5ZC

                    hank@...

                    kb4mto@...

                    www.hanklambert.com

                    PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 27, 2011
                      No, I looked into it but the prices we get from Garmin just aren't good
                      enough - you can get it from buy.com for about the same price we'd pay
                      at the 100 unit price tier.

                      Scott

                      On 12/27/2011 3:04 AM, Hank Lambert wrote:
                      > Thanks Scott. One other question; do you have the FMI-45 so that I can
                      > keep the traffic features as well?
                      >
                      > 73,
                      >
                      > Hank Lambert
                      >
                      > KB4MTO/TA5ZC
                      >
                      > hank@...
                      >
                      > kb4mto@...
                      >
                      > www.hanklambert.com

                    • Bob Burns W9RXR
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 28, 2011
                        At 11:15 PM 12/26/2011, Scott Miller wrote:

                        >You'll need the appropriate FMI cable - which is now the FMI 15 cable...

                        What does the FMI cable do for you with regard to the nuvi 1450? Does
                        it get you NMEA 0183 data?

                        Likewise, what does the GTRANS do for you with regard to the nuvi 1450?

                        The "nuvi 13xx/14xx series" line in the Argent Data wiki makes it
                        look like the nuvi 1450 is not very desirable for APRS, but posts in
                        this thread seem to indicate otherwise.

                        I am confused.

                        Bob...
                      • k7ybz
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 28, 2011
                          Alot of the information you are looking for has been published in the wiki:
                          http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

                          The ArgentData products exploit the Garmin proprietary mode and the Fleet Management Interface (FMI) of the Nuvi to display APRS targets and for messaging.

                          The GTRANS cable does almost the same thing but takes NMEA-0183 from the outside world and maps that to FMI for the Nuvi. The output of the Nuvi is then converted to NMEA-0183 for the outside world.

                          Note, however, the value of the ID resistor used for the Nuvi 350 is different than that required for the Nuvi 1450. The ID resistor is part of the cable, either molded into the mini-usb connector (Garmin cable) or on the board for the GTRANS cable.

                          Larry
                          K7YBZ